PLEASE HELP! Loose steering and vibrations after installing a lift/coil conversion (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently got a 2" Eibach lift kit installed with coil conversion along with OEM UCAs, LCAs and tie rod ends. I also got alignment done after that. Since then:
1. My steering feels really loose when driving in general or driving in curves or turning into a parking spot. Also under 30mph, it seems it has free play as i can move it back and forth a bit easily without turning the tires.
2. When I accelerate or even when I'm driving I can feel the ride is a bit rough/vibrating - feel it on the steering, seats and pretty much all over. It is also idling a little rough.

None of these issues existed before i got the suspension replaced. I got the boots/axle replaced last year and those are fine. The mechanic checked the drive shaft and it looks good. He is planning to put some grease in u-joints and zerks. He also checked the spark plugs etc. and that's good. He has had the car for 3 days and he can't figure out the problem and is almost ready to give up. He thinks it is happening because of the lift since the springs are kind of stiff so they are not really seating properly to put enough weight on the car.

I know there are so many of you who have gotten the lift and had no issues. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what to do. I'm really upset as I LOVE my car and hate to see the ride gotten bad after I put so much money into it. I also got the timing belt, radiator and everything replaced a month ago and it was riding well. Again, these issues did not exist before i got the suspension work done so I don't think there is any problem with the wheels and tires - which I am planning to replace once these issues are resolved.

Based on my reading on other forums, it seems that the vibrations after a lift are often caused by something to do with driveshaft or driveline - like change in angle, u-joints etc. Any recommendations on what to do with it other than grease it? Change bearings or the shaft altogether? I can sense the vibrations even when the car is in parked position. Anyone experienced something like this after the lift?

Also, the loose steering - reading several posts on the web, it seems it has something to do with alignment. Although, I got the alignment done right after the suspension work so not sure what to do. I'm attaching the alignment specs below, so let me know if you think anything is out of whack. Also, would putting new wheels and tires now might improve this issue or do you think i should wait until this problem is resolved?

IMG_4457.jpg

Rear pinion angle should not be impacted that much. The rear axle link are designed to adjust pinion angle for the full the suspension travel. 2" lift should not cause any issue at all.

Check your driveshaft and make sure it is in phase. It they are not in phase the u joint would bind and cause vibration.

So you replace inner and outer tie rod? I seen the some brand new that actually bad. I replaced one and within two weeks it got more play than 15 year old it replace. If you buy OEM part from Ebay or Amazon there is always big possibilities it was fake. American love fake merchandise and it help Jeff Bezzos become Uber rich 😁

Alignment should not cause fibration.

Good idea about about checking the drive shaft phase.
I got the tie rod end as well as UCA an LCA from the Toyota dealer - so hopefully the quality is good.

Just the fact that it also vibrates when in parked - does that narrow it down to some issue with the drive shaft?

My caster is set at 3.0/3.4 - maybe if I have them increase that it might help with the steering issue. The steering is not as responsive as it used to be before the lift.

Vibration is park might be more engine/transmission issue. Misfire or the transmission shudder or bad mount Did you ever service the fluid?

Driveshaft not in phase would not cause vibration when in park.

The caster at 3 is on low side. Normally 3.5-4° is ideal. More would give better high-speed stability but tax the power steering more.

Make sure the shop tighten the inner tie rod properly. I heard a few people got their inner tie rod loose after replacement.

Yes, the I got the transmission flush about 20k miles ago. The spark plugs were also replaced not too long ago.
The thing is that these vibrations even at park started happening after getting the suspension work. So just trying to back track on the possible causes.

I'm thinking of taking my car to a local 4x4 shop and see if they are able to figure something out. All of these places deal with mostly Jeeps so not sure if they know much about the Toyota/Lexus platform, but running out of options. I'm also thinking of replacing the drive shaft - but that's like throwing money in the pit and taking chances whether it may or may not fix the 2 issues.

So bummed about this whole situation. Was planning and looking forward for this upgrade for years and now my car has been in the shop for almost a week and all messed up.

Wild ass guess from Google search on engine vibration...

The first obvious sign of bad motor mounts is excessive engine vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom