Pinstriped 1977 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

Ah, thank you for all for the advice and suggestions so far. I am definitely making a list/spreadsheet and taking it a bit at a time. I'll report back on these suggestions for the priority list/electrical/rain intrusion.

What are the 4 bolts on the body tub above the back tires next to the side marker light used for?
I hadn't seen these before myself. They're on both sides, and they have little rubber covers. A MUD member that I've been in touch with here in South Florida that also has a '77 told me they were for a gas can attachment, but not sure if that's correct.

I definitely am dying to drive it while I get it into a bit better shape one step at a time. I will be back with more questions.

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
Looky what I found:

Thought I'd seen this somewhere!

Did '77s come with 2 wheels without rivets compatible with the front disc brakes and 2 with rivets for the back? Or did I just end up with a mismatched set? I have 3 without rivets and 2 with rivets which the PO sent me newly powder coated (Not pictured as I haven't put them on yet)

The real reason I ask is because the ones with the rivets actually have a bigger valve stem hole than the ones without rivets, which I found interesting since I'll have to get two different sets of valve stems for new tires

Last edited:

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Awesome! I too almost purchased that truck. Love it, and I'm not sure I would even repair the rust. Treat it and move on. She's a beautiful driver. Congrats!!

First visit from a new friend I made on mud

2F69CCAB-A8DE-4676-A3EB-C37AEB693C3D.jpeg

I feel a bit discouraged to post updates after seeing some of the awesome stuff other people are doing on here. But, I will do it anyway in case some of my newbie question and answer can help someone down the line.

I got a good deal on a set of tires, so I went for it even though I felt a bit bad for jumping the list of priorities. Just with new tires and new wheels, it looks like a different 40. One interesting thing I found (And asked about above) was that the PO sent me 2 wheels with rivets, 3 wheels without. I assume that's not how they came from the factory. Either way, good thing I had read about the rivets on mud beforehand. Ones with rivets went in back, without rivets went to spare and front.

IMG_4032.jpg

I ordered a tune up kit from @cruiseroutfit together with a new radiator, some radiator hoses, fan v belt, and rear door weatherstripping. Apparently the air pump belt for a 77 is a bit hard to find. I also ordered a new shifter boot, ripped my original rubber mat in the installation process in a very silly way but it is mostly intact. I'll keep the rubber mats out until I can make the cabin more weatherproof.
IMG_4069.jpg

I removed the gauge panel (After cursing quite a bit and finding the only very tiny space my hand could fit through to detach the speedometer cable from underneath). Then, poured a bucket of water over the hood seam and found that the rain was coming in through the seam and not the hood hinge bolts. Good thing I checked before removing the hood hinge bolts. I bought some 3M automotive seam sealer which I read about on here. The beige color goes with the paint, so it worked out well:
IMG_4039.jpg

I read on a few threads (For example, seam sealer) that you should put down painters tape to get a clean new seal:
IMG_4041.jpg

And finished product, I give it a C+:
IMG_4176.jpg

Now the only water in the footwell is coming in through the worn out kick vent weatherstripping.

Last edited:
Inside of distributor looked like this:

IMG_4072.jpg

After installing the distributor portion of the tune up kit, it wouldn't start. I had to go back and set the points gap properly, which I didn't understand what the manual meant until I watched this video. After setting the gap properly, it started right up, and it is running immensely better. I tried adjusting the carb before doing this and it was impossible. Tune-up kit should be first on everyone's list.

Then, I adjusted the carb using the lean drop method in the FSM, but in reality, I watched @OTRAMM's video a couple of hundred times, which @reddog90 first recommended to me. I had actually tried tuning the carb twice before the tune-up kit- and failed miserably. One thing that wasn't immediately obvious to me is that if you follow @OTRAMM's video, he tunes the carb without the air cleaner on, but he doesn't mention you should plug the vacuum hose that goes from the air cleaner to the valve cover. There is a comment on his video that made me realize that I needed to plug the vacuum hose. The tune up kit and the vacuum hose plugged made it possible to tune the carb.
IMG_4075.jpg

Then, I verified timing, which was off, so I adjusted timing using a timing light (Set to 7 BTDC), and re-adjusted the carb. @reddog90 gave me the first few tips on getting a timing light, vacuum gauge, and adjusting the carb, timing, and valve clearance, which I haven't done yet.

After all this, idling is much better, but I still feel some shaking inside the cabin. I don't know what else to try- I've been avoiding adjusting the valves, I guess I can try that next.

I also found this thread helpful with regards to timing: Step by Step Instructions for Setting Timing?? (2F)

Last edited:
Did '77s come with 2 wheels without rivets compatible with the front disc brakes and 2 with rivets for the back? Or did I just end up with a mismatched set? I have 3 without rivets and 2 with rivets which the PO sent me newly powder coated (Not pictured as I haven't put them on yet)

The real reason I ask is because the ones with the rivets actually have a bigger valve stem hole than the ones without rivets, which I found interesting since I'll have to get two different sets of valve stems for new tires

tc01,
US spec '77 should be all non-riveted wheels. I believe the larger valve stem hole on the riveted wheels is for tube stems. These wheels came with a rubber rivet head cover band to protect the tubes.

20130326_123739 (Small).jpg

20130326_123808 (Small).jpg

what size tires? Crazy how much they can change the look
I went for 31s

tc01,
US spec '77 should be all non-riveted wheels. I believe the larger valve stem hole on the riveted wheels is for tube stems. These wheels came with a rubber rivet head cover band to protect the tubes.
Thanks for this info. The guy I bought the tires from had to special order the two tube stems. Hopefully this mismatched setup isn't too much of a headache down the line.

Took me about an hour or so per ambulance door to get the old weatherstripping off. I went at it with a scotchbrite pad and multiple applications of goo-gone, judging by how long it took me, I don't know if that was the best choice.
IMG_4105.jpg

Good reference post: Removing weather stripping and its glue

Last edited:
Mark, a fellow mud member, has been helping me gain some confidence in doing a lot of these things myself. This past weekend we tackled replacing the water pump (New Aisin water pump and FIPG from CityRacer). I had also gotten a new OEM radiator, thermostat, and hoses from @cruiseroutfit.

Beach day look:
IMG_4167.jpg

Drained all coolant (Taking the drain plug out from the back of the engine block took me forever, but luckily it wasn't clogged), and flushed:
IMG_4170.jpg

I always forget to take photos in between, but this is the finished product.
IMG_4173.jpg

Letting it sit til I get another chance to fill it with new coolant and burp.

I read about removing the drain plug at the back of the engine block here: Neat and clean way to drain coolant from block - 2F
When I asked myself how much coolant to expect to drain out/how much new coolant to buy: 40 Series Fluid Capacities
V-Belt sizes: Correct V Belts-FJ40 1977
Water pump gasket questions: 2F water pump gasket
Basic instructions on water pump replacement: Water pump replacement on FJ40

Last edited:
Thanks for this info. The guy I bought the tires from had to special order the two tube stems. Hopefully this mismatched setup isn't too much of a headache down the line.
[/QUOTE]

tc01,
You may already know but the riveted wheels will not clear the disc brakes. You'll need to keep the riveted rims on the rear drum brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom