Neat and clean way to drain coolant from block - 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was tired of dumping coolant everywhere when I drained my 2F block or radiator...cheap trick follows:

I installed an aftermarket radiator in my FJ40 that does not have the extension tube on the radiator drain like the OEM (to carry the coolant past the radiator frame), so it's very messy to drain the radiator. And if you pull the lower hose, it just dumps the coolant everywhere, of course. So, I decided to drain the radiator by draining the block. But, the block drain tends to drip coolant all over the place, too.

So, I studied the block drain, and had a piece of 3/4" heater hose (bigger than anything used on an FJ40). I loosened the block drain until the flow started, and then slid the hose over the entire valve assembly - tight up to the block. All the coolant runs through this fat hose, and out through the wheel well and into a bucket. Very slick. No mess. You can walk away while the bucket fills, but you may need 2 buckets. See photos.

CoolantDrain2.JPG

CoolantDrain1.JPG

That'll work good.
I was never happy with the small opening in the stock drain valve. I went with this set up for a serious flushing procedure and liked it so much I just leave the valve in there and plug it for safety. Been running like this for 15 years. The hole is 3/8 BSPT but the pitch is the same as npt but the taper is a little different. A 3/8 pipe tap easily turns it into npt then you have all kinds of plumbing options with hardware store fittings. It's a full port opening ball valve and with the radiator cap off just swing the valve open and it comes out pretty fast. I like that as I feel the rapid flow drags any little bits of debris that has settled nearby.

Blk Drn 1.jpg

Does this mean you replaced the bad freeze plug, Steve? How'd it fit?

I was tired of dumping coolant everywhere when I drained my 2F block or radiator...cheap trick follows:

I had a separate thread on that (Freeze plug size issue - NAPA vs. NLA OEM Toyota?) - the US-made freeze plugs (50mm) did not fit at all. I found the OEM freeze plug from 20 years ago that I had removed for the block heater and it was much smaller. I reinstalled it, and it leaked. So, I removed it, and coated it with Loctite sleeve retainer and it now seals properly.

So the one I sent was not correct? Too big? Too small? I did an entire engine with those freeze plugs. ???

I had a separate thread on that (Freeze plug size issue - NAPA vs. NLA OEM Toyota?) - the US-made freeze plugs (50mm) did not fit at all. I found the OEM freeze plug from 20 years ago that I had removed for the block heater and it was much smaller. I reinstalled it, and it leaked. So, I removed it, and coated it with Loctite sleeve retainer and it now seals properly.

The one you sent WAS correct -just haven't installed it yet.

OK. Thanks. Whew.

That'll work good.
I was never happy with the small opening in the stock drain valve. I went with this set up for a serious flushing procedure and liked it so much I just leave the valve in there and plug it for safety. Been running like this for 15 years. The hole is 3/8 BSPT but the pitch is the same as npt but the taper is a little different. A 3/8 pipe tap easily turns it into npt then you have all kinds of plumbing options with hardware store fittings. It's a full port opening ball valve and with the radiator cap off just swing the valve open and it comes out pretty fast. I like that as I feel the rapid flow drags any little bits of debris that has settled nearby.

View attachment 1302794
That'll work good.

View attachment 1302794
May I ask what's the other plug/ line coming out of the block?

Quote, Uzjgaspowered, "May I ask what's the other plug/ line coming out of the block?"

For manual oil pressure gauge. I keep meaning to replace the straight fitting with a 90 deg ell looking up. It's kind of vulnerable like that.

Edit: It's where the sender was for the stock oil press gauge. It's a 1/8 male bspt x 1/8 female npt in the block. Then a 1/8 male npt x 1/8 compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom