Pellet grills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to upgrade my BBQ gear from a webber gas grill and a electric smoker to somthing else.

I'm looking at a camp chef woodwind 36" pellet grill with the sear box attachment.

I'm new to pellet grills and wondered what people think of them.

Also what brand of pellet is preferred.

I have the Yoder YS640 and it's a damn fine smoker. I've never grilled with it but you can. They sell a searing grate that will sit over on the left, right above the fire box. They are spendy but you get what you pay for. Looks like they've upgraded this thing quite a bit with wi-fi and temp probes built in. I've had mine for about 8 years and I'll never go back to a stick burning smoker. The pellet smokers are just too easy and consistent. Also, weight is your friend. The heavier and thicker the metal the better. My smoker weighs near 350 pounds. And 100% made in Kansas.

I have a PitBoss smoker and have had it for close to 5 years now and smoked close to 1,000 pounds of meat for ourselves, parties and even small catering events. It has been great. Typically smoke with hickory and oak, both of witch I buy as pellet smoker fuel, as well as the fuel that we use in our pellet stove - have to be careful and only use virgin non-finished wood to make the pellets, which ours come from a furniture factory in Virginia using only pre-finished scrap for their pellets.

I have the ability to grill with mine, but the second time I tried to do it, I nearly burned it to the ground. If you smoke a lot of brisket and pork shoulders, you get a build up of grease, which is fine at 225-300, but once you crank it up to 400-500 to grill, the grease will ignite.

I go by the simple method of manually checking the meat as I baste it and check the temp periodically. Many of the newer smokers have a lot of gimmicks with them like multiple probes and windows to see in. They break and once you smoke a few things, the window is pointless. Regular meat thermometer or a good dedicated temp probe should be all you need.

Look for a smoker with a larger hopper if you plan on doing long cooks. Doing a 10-12 hour brisket I have refill once or twice. Not a big deal until you do it overnight and forget to get up to refill and you wake up to a cold smoker and not done brisket under a deadline. Also look for one with a decent sized cook chamber that you can put an entire packer brisket or full pork shoulder in. Nothing sucks more than going to load the smoker and everything doesn’t fit. Not many people say they wish they had a smaller smoker.

Last edited:
It finally came. So far super happy. They even included a hat. Lol. Its got a bottle opener too. Highly valued item.

20210627_160813.jpg

20210627_160601.jpg

20210627_161302.jpg

20210627_165958.jpg

20210627_180749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom