Builds Pappy's 3RZ Adventure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So an injector service just checks to see if the spray pattern is acceptably atomized and the pintle isnt hammered out or leaking down?

Would running a bottle of tko2000 through the tank be just as effficient as their cleaning process?

In any event I guess I would like to know the injector is cleaned and cycles and sprays properly and doesnt leak down if putting it on a brand new cylinder.
I think it's a bit more than that. Here is a pic of the parts I got back after sending mine in. They also checked the spray pattern, and the flow.

20200725_172045-sm.jpg

Well, somebody reminded me I haven't updated this thread. Mostly, because I have nothing to offer. The reality is I need to make space in the garage to do this transplant, and the FJ40 is in the way. Progress will proceed on the 3RZ as soon as I make room. In the mean time I realized I made mention of the factory header Toyota used on the 2000+ Tacoma 3RZ engines, but I never posted anything up on that. So, here ya go. The manifold looks a whole lot like the Doug Thorley, but for a lot less money. I had mine ceramic coated silver. I also had the heat shield ceramic coated gunmetal gray.

Manifold is 17141-75080
Heat shield is 17167-75100

View attachment 2761508

On the engine.

View attachment 2761512
Do you need another reminder that you haven’t updated us yet? Because I think I speak for everyone, we’d like an update.

Do you need another reminder that you haven’t updated us yet? Because I think I speak for everyone, we’d like an update.
:flipoff2:

About the only thing I can offer is the harness. I did sit down with the EWD manuals for the 22re and the 3rz. I think the conversion harness is figured out.

Conversion harness-sm.jpg

Manuals-sm.jpg

That's a fair number of post it notes. :hillbilly:

Oh man, I want to see this thing running! I just started a 3RZ swap and am eyeing a low boost super charger.

One thing at a time...

Hey, do you still have 3RZ decals with thin border?

I was talking with the guys at the club breakfast. The subject of installing a 3.4 into a 3.0 4Runner came up. Fella says he knows somebody that's done a few. I ask if the guy could do a 3RZ. Well, yes. So, instead of procrastinating further, and making excuses, the truck is in somebody else's garage. As much as I wanted the experience of installing this engine, I want it done more.

Out with the old.

Removal-sm.jpg

This was a failed experiment. I have deleted the idea to avoid confusion in the future. Use the T100 lower radiator hose, as others have done. Trim 1.5" off the engine side, and 3/4" off the radiator side.

Last edited:
Well, the fella installing my engine made a mistake. By accident, he installed the upper radiator hose on the bottom. Funny thing ... after trimming 2" off one end he said it fit. I haven't seen it in person yet to see how well it clears the alternator. Here are two pictures he sent me. Is this common knowledge, or did he stumble on something?

View attachment 3599452

View attachment 3599453

I've never heard of that, I think that's a pretty neat little hack! Seems to clear the alternator really well.

What’s the hose part number? Or is it just the upper rad hose for a 22re? It looks to fit better than using the 22re coolant line to get around the alternator.

This hose was a Gates upper radiator hose for a 3RZ, I believe 23929. It looks like the OEM number is 16571-0C021. I'm really curious to see it installed in person. I did not supply a lower hose because I thought some creative manipulation was going to be necessary. I know the hose I gave him was an upper.

Last edited:
I am glad this came up.

I am fairly sure I put mine in "correctly" and my lower rubs slightly on my steering box. I did have to trim the lower a little on both ends. I have been checking in on it to make sure it is ok, but yours looks better. That Gates PN was less than $15 on Amazon so I just fired off an order. I'll keep it along as a spare in case mine rubs a hole through before I drain my coolant next time and can swap the hose.

Real excited to hear how it feels once you get this puppy running!

I am glad this came up.

I am fairly sure I put mine in "correctly" and my lower rubs slightly on my steering box. I did have to trim the lower a little on both ends. I have been checking in on it to make sure it is ok, but yours looks better. That Gates PN was less than $15 on Amazon so I just fired off an order. I'll keep it along as a spare in case mine rubs a hole through before I drain my coolant next time and can swap the hose.

Real excited to hear how it feels once you get this puppy running!

Ya, I'm getting anxious. He should be close to getting it done.

[sigh] No joy with the engine.

Long afternoon. Mike and I were unable to get the engine to start. We ruled out lots of stuff, like no engine codes (yay!). It appears to be a fuel issue. It will run on starter fluid. The questions 1) is the engine running out of fuel, or 2) is something shutting the fuel off (cam and crank sensor). Pump is good. We thought the FPR was bad, but we tried three of them with the same result. Lots of gas was bypassing the FPR. Here is a video of what it's doing. Mike thinks it's injectors. I have another set that we will try tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom