Ok smart folks...how difficult should wheel bearings be to seat on axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M0untaineer

Montani Semper Liberi
Threads
Ok fellas...did a knuckle rebuild this past weekend on the 80...I had ordered a kit and went with new TIMKEN wheel bearings...during the install, tried to install the new inner wheel bearing over the axle (which was tucked into the spindle/rotor and sealed on one side with a new oil seal)...to my dismay, could not get the assembly to slide into position on the axle (stopped about and inch and a half short)...so pulled the seal and installed the old wheel bearing and it slid right on with a tight but what seemed to be correct fit...I double checked the part number with the folks I ordered from (reputable IH8MUD dealer) and they said it's the correct part number, but that they might require a brass drift/hammer to seat properly (I half-heartedly tried to seat it with a rubber mallet, but gave up when it seemed like it was just getting stuck and might cause another problem trying to seat further (either getting it stuck or damaging the axle)...

Thanks in advance guys...

Eli, did you check to see if the numbers on the bearings are what's supposed to be in the box? Should be able to google the components of that Timken part number.

Test fit just the inner bearing on the spindle to see how hard it really is to get on there? I have had to hammer lightly on a few but nothing super hard to get the hub and bearings on the spindle.

Seems like I had this same problem with mine at some point with Timken. Ordered Koyo and all was good. Both came from Napa.

Yes they can get Koyo, and at a pretty good price.

Thanks guys...kinda upset with myself for not ordering koyo in the first place...looks like I'm just out of luck...something's not right with the tolerances in my opinion

Test fit just the inner bearing on the spindle to see how hard it really is to get on there? I have had to hammer lightly on a few but nothing super hard to get the hub and bearings on the spindle.

Thanks Josh- That's what I did after the first side refused to go on and after I buggered up one of the oil seals...was not brave enough to try beating on it with the brass drift and hammer vs the mallet after it basically got stuck in position...if I have time, gonna try to contact TIMKEN and see what they say if they have any customer service number

Eli, did you check to see if the numbers on the bearings are what's supposed to be in the box? Should be able to google the components of that Timken part number.

Thanks Mark- have not independently checked numbers yet, but vendor verified the number from a photo I took (also had a bent outer bearing race on one)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom