Oil filter removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Have been playing with land cruisers for some years, but got an FJ for my wife recently and it's due for service 90 000km.

This is the newest vehicle I have ever owned. Is access to oil filter straight forward and do I need a special tool to remove it?

Dave

What year FJ. Older ones have very easy access to filter, later ones went to cartridge style.

2013 FJ Australian delivery (we didn't get them until 2011).

I'm guessing it's cartridge.

Gonna be somewhere underneath like this.
2010-2016-Toyota-4Runner-1GR-FE-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Filter-Replacement-Guide-018.JPG

Thank you. I will never understand why a manufacturer would move to a cartridge style.

I will never understand why a manufacturer would move to a cartridge style.

Because it encourages people to bring their vehicle back to the dealer for service, since it is more difficult to change at home than a spin-on filter.

///I will never understand why a manufacturer would move to a cartridge style.///
Me too, especially putting it at the bottom of the engine under skids.
However, after doing this service on my 2012 since it was new I can say that it is cheaper than a spin-on, I got a box of 10 Toyota filters at Toyota of Dallas for $45 with free shipping back in 2012. Also at that time, (actually 2010) Toyota switched to synthetic oil and the frequency of oil/filter changes became 10,000 miles, another benefit. I just looked at my box and I have 2 filters left. The first change was recommended by Toyota at 5k miles then at 10k after that. The filter boxes contain the necessary plastic drain tool, all you need to add is a 12 inch long piece of 5/8 inch heater hose to direct the drain from the pressurized filter into a drain pan. New O-rings are provided with the filter cartridge too.
With the exception of having to remove the bash-plate and engine skid, the rest of the drain and filter change does not really take much longer than changing any bottom of engine spin-on, and I have changed many.
BMT's pic is accurate, I have a tool to remove the plastic cartridge holding the filter( I replaced my plastic with a metal one), I think it was cheap at Amazon, it takes a 3/8 ratchet.
Just looked, steel tool was $10, they sell a fancy 6061 T6 Aluminum one for $30 claiming the steel one flexes. Dont believe it, the cheap steel one is fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom