OEM Key Remote registration failed will not lock/unlock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a spare key from 1010 keys on ebay which has been a pretty poor experience. I followed their instructions on how to register the new key and it did not work. I did some reading and found that their instructions lead you to unregister all your keys! I found the proper instructions and I am only able to register the new 1010keys key. My OEM key will not remotely lock/unlock the doors anymore. I have tried multiple times, but I get the 2 lock cycles at the end that indicate registration failed.

This is what I found from user campfire at clublexus:

Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
Within 5 seconds:
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
Switch ignition ON and OFF:
*Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
*Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
*Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
*Five times to erase all registered codes.
Remove key from ignition switch.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four
times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
Within 40 seconds:
Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
Within 3 seconds:
Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 .
System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.
Within 40 seconds:
Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door or insert ignition key.
NOTE: A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

Anyone ever rescue an OEM key that worked fine and then failed to re-register?

Thanks!

*SOLVED* I saw over on the 4runner forum someone said that they had to hold down the lock and unlock buttons for less that 1.5 seconds. So I went back and tried it and if I just quickly push both buttons it doesn't fail. The key from 1010keys took a long press, OEM took a short press. 1010 keys was extremely rude, unhelpful, forgot to cut the key before sending, and sent the wrong instructions. I will not be using them again, seems like an OK product for the price so far though.

Last edited:
I bought a key from them recently. Cant say they were rude but there was a bit of a mixup with my order.
I used Techstream to program my key with no issues, then followed the same procedure you outlined above.

As far as rescuing an OEM key... I couldn't help you there as the only key my truck came with was an aftermarket unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom