Not as bad as I thought...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some may remember my questions a few months ago about C/V joints and their replacement.

These questions stemmed from my hearing a clicking noise from the Fr L when turned LEFT any more than 1/2 to lock (most noticeable at the drive-thru due to the wall acting as a sound reflector).

This clicking began soon after Val678 had similar symptoms and then drive train failure not long after we'd been on a trail together - his turned out to be a busted pinion.

After conferring with a few members here, I determined that mine was due to a C/V joint going bad.

I must admit I've committed a cardinal sin by continuing to drive on it - it is my only vehicle - as I've not had the money to buy a new joint.

Two days ago I had a flat on the Fr L, and was compelled to replace the tire.

Whilst removing the offended wheel, I noticed one of my balance weights was not seated properly - in fact, was hanging on in what looked like a fairly precarious manner - though the technician at the tire shop reported needing as much force as any to remove it. I did not think at the time to request to view it for wear.

On replacing the wheel, I examined the C/V boot to the best of my ability, and found no signs of leakage or tearing.

I was also unable to see any part of the wheel carriage assembly showing wear of any kind, though that part of the search was a bit less than thorough due to my being in a hurry.

With the new tire (and new, properly seated balance weights) I executed two full 360 LEFT turns at both Full and 3/4 Lock... No Clicking!

Can anyone point to a part on the wheel carriage assembly that could potentially come into contact with an unseated (but not loose) balance weight during only Left turns? And if so, would this part be at risk of serious damage by said balance weight? (they're made of Lead, aren't they? it shouldn't be hard enough to damage anything... should it?)

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

-LX Pilot

wheeel weight touching the dust shield for the brake rotor? Do they use stickon weights or the clipons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom