New to me fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great find! Your 40s patina makes it look a little like the brother of my 45.

Personally I would keep your original frame and body together with vin. Even if you decide to modify it. That is if you frame is in good shape. Looks like you have a great start but the more you start miss matching frames and body parts with other years the less appealing It becomes to me anyway. That said, it is your 40 build what you want.
That's kind of how I'm leaning.

back in the 1960,s-early 1970,s guys would convert to Saginaw manual steering because (a) nobody made P.S.pump mounting brackets for the stock 6 cylinders, and (b) even Saginaw manual gear boxes eliminated some of the undesirable middle men in that stock steering system, more direct steering than stock even though not power.
That makes a lot of sense. There is are a few upgrades/add on's that appear to be from the 60's and 70's.

First few

PXL_20221105_005018131.jpg

PXL_20221105_004958266.jpg

PXL_20221105_004535970.jpg

What do you guys think of this crack I found on the rear frame? Right where front rear passenger side spring mounts. (mouth full).

PXL_20221111_033717520.jpg

I think you have deep issues. That is not surface rust. I cannot see the whole steel frame but assume it is all similar. When steel gets that bad the areas under stress start to crack. It is because of corrosion deeply set in. As a vehicle I suppose you could weld the affected areas and use a rust convertor on the less stressed areas and see how long you can go.

I am sure it came from stress. The issue is without the level of corrosion, the stress wouldn't have done that. Depending on where and how steel lives over time is exactly how deep corrosion can go. This frame looks as it lived in a corrosive area and was not well preserved. There seems to be a steel left but I can only see what pics you have here. It seems there is a lot of corrosion around the area including rivet heads .
If you repair you must remember your limitations. It all depends on whether the future of the vehicle is long term or simple preservation. Bottom line is corrosion is always here and it never is a quick fix.

How to Repair A 4x4s Broken Frame - https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/cj-frame-repair/

I am sure it came from stress. The issue is without the level of corrosion, the stress wouldn't have done that. Depending on where and how steel lives over time is exactly how deep corrosion can go. This frame looks as it lived in a corrosive area and was not well preserved. There seems to be a steel left but I can only see what pics you have here. It seems there is a lot of corrosion around the area including rivet heads .
If you repair you must remember your limitations. It all depends on whether the future of the vehicle is long term or simple preservation. Bottom line is corrosion is always here and it never is a quick fix.

How to Repair A 4x4s Broken Frame - https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/cj-frame-repair/
I have two frames luckily.

Is there a write up on shackle reversals with the front shackle through the frame? I'm at a loss on positioning the spring hangers.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom