New here- gen 1 Sequoia. Critique my plan! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

New here- I've been researching Sequoia stuff (2001 SR5 4WD, 140k miles) and noticed a lot of good info was coming from this forum. I'm from Arizona, love my Sequoia! It's a hand-me-down, has been in the family since new. Timing belt done at 100k; I've maintained it pretty obsessively (brake fluid every 2 years, trans pan dump and fill every 30k, rear dif every 30k, etc). Went through 2 rear latches (lesson learned- buy OEM once, cry once), the usual.

It's been great from most of what I do, but I've been thinking more about making it "mine" and just what I want for the kind of things I do with it. Hoping to learn from the thread archives here even more than I already have!

I hunt a lot, so the truck probably sees 50/50 street versus dirt/gravel/washboard roads. Truck is almost stock, so I'm thinking, might as well replace things like shocks and tires with things more appropriate for what I do, since they're almost worn out. My budget is about 1.5- 2K for everything but bumpers; less is better so I have more gas money ;).

PRIORITIES
1) Gentler on the truck; I love it and want it last as long as possible, and don't want to get stranded in middle of nowhere
2) Reliable and capable- I go out solo pretty deep, don't want to get stuck because of a hotrod mod
3) Comfort- I'll get there when I get there, it's not a race

PLAN
  1. Tires/wheels; I'm currently running the stock 16" wheels and Michelin Defender tires. The defenders don't really cut in on the sandy, loose roads I have to drive a lot. I don't really do mud or technical trails, just rough BLM and forest roads to get to where I need. My plan is to replace with whatever Costco has on sale that is also All-Terrain AT rated. Maybe the Wrangler tire? If I got to spend more for a lot better performance I'll do it. The wheels seem fine so I was thinking of keeping stock. Besides, a smaller 16" wheel probably means a plusher ride on the washboard.
  2. Air pump; the cheap 12V pump i've been using to air down and up at the start of the wilderness doesn't really cut it anymore, and I'm looking for something more reliable to keep in the car.
    1. I see cheap-ish offbrand ones like this for 60$ish- Amazon product ASIN B08BRT1N1P
    2. viair brand for a little more but less accessories Amazon product ASIN B005ASY23I
    3. and the higher end (for me) smitty built for 150ish https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...=12v+pump+air+offroad&qid=1637593974&sr=8-20;
    4. any thoughts/ experience with these? just want something reliable for me to air down to 20 psi and back up to 30ish to get home
  3. Shocks. Currently I have air-lift bags on the back which were great when I used to haul a lot, but not sure if they're good for ride quality overall. I haven't even aired them up in months. I see the bilstein 5100s are popular; the front of the SUV is kind of low, a couple inches lower than the rear, so I was thinking of getting them to level the suv out a bit too. Are there better options, more comfortable, out there? These are affordable and I can rent the spring compressors from autozone to replace the fronts.
  4. Bumpers. Doesn't look like the gen 1 is too popular, haven't been able to find anything I like. Budget for bumper would be separate. I like the idea of a tube bumper up front to save weight, plus I like that pre-runner look! If anyone has any leads, I'd love to hear it- otherwise maybe a local welder is the way to go?
OTHER
  1. Maintenance- Is there anything I'm missing? Are ball joints a preventative measure too? Alignment guy I trust told me it's all A-OK; joints and tie rods look great. I figure if I'm replacing shocks/struts I might as well do everything else and align it once, when I get new tires.
  2. Alarm goes off when I unlock-been a problem since new, usually on cold mornings. I'll go to unlock the truck and the alarm goes off- have to mash the unlock button to disarm it. Happen to anyone else? We took it to dealer when new but couldn't recreate the problem. Kind of sucks when I'm leaving camp to go hunt, spook every animal for miles.
  3. Any other thoughts? I value your opinion if you have experience with any of this- I'm not sure where to start!

Thanks and happy to be here!

Can't edit my post :( the links for the compressors didn't pop up for the first two, but I was looking at "Gspcn" brand compressor and "viair 88p".

Also- I don't care much about lift, but if I lift it in order to make it more comfy or capable I'm all for it. Looking to fit the tallest tires I can; from my understanding, that means more sidewall to absorb the blow! Running (i believe) 265/70/16 right now, no lift or anything.

I have an '06 that I bought last August. Here is what I have done:
1) Tires- Ironman AT's, LT235-85-R16- I like narrow tires. They air down to a nice long contact patch without increasing rolling resistance nearly as much as a wide tire. They are a little over 1" taller than stock. The heavy sidewall from having LTs is more rugged, too.
2)Suspension-I changed all 4 ball joints, the sway bar bushings,and the shocks.5100s front for a levelling lift, Dobinsons in back because they are fat and yellow and look cool.
3) Reliability/Deferred maintenance- changed every fluid; replaced the radiator, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, heater hose T's, brake pads, brake discs, E-brake shoes, PCV valve, air filter, and probably a few things I have forgotten.
4) External- replaced the headlight housings, changed all external bulbs to LED, removed the factory side steps and installed a Westin steel grate sidestep ( about 1 inch extra clearance on the side), bullbar and LED light bar, air horn, and painted both bumper covers with truck bed coat.
5) Christmas lights- when I got it, the truck had several dash lights on that the dealer had misdiagnosed and had grossly overcharged in the estimate. After repeated scans and erasures, I determined that the OBD, ABS, and transmission computer systems could not talk to each other. A $53 used translate computer module from eBay fixed the lights.
6) Interior- Cleaned the living s*** out of the inside. Years of old fries, dropped candy, and spilled coke. Replaced most of the interior bulbs with LED, and installed a new leather seat bottom for the driver.
7) s***s and grins- removed the roof rack, installed 2 more crossbars from the junkyard, and repainted it black. While it was off I painted the roof white and installed a factory spoiler. I think this helps my fuel economy.

As for a compressor, I have the GSPCN, and it is fine, but the Maxitrac compressor at NAPA is a better choice.

1) Tires- Ironman AT's, LT235-85-R16- I like narrow tires. They air down to a nice long contact patch without increasing rolling resistance nearly as much as a wide tire. They are a little over 1" taller than stock. The heavy sidewall from having LTs is more rugged, too.
2)Suspension-I changed all 4 ball joints, the sway bar bushings,and the shocks.5100s front for a levelling lift, Dobinsons in back because they are fat and yellow and look cool.
3) Reliability/Deferred maintenance- changed every fluid; replaced the radiator, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, heater hose T's, brake pads, brake discs, E-brake shoes, PCV valve, air filter, and probably a few things I have forgotten.
4) External- replaced the headlight housings, changed all external bulbs to LED, removed the factory side steps and installed a Westin steel grate sidestep ( about 1 inch extra clearance on the side), bullbar and LED light bar, air horn, and painted both bumper covers with truck bed coat.
5) Christmas lights- when I got it, the truck had several dash lights on that the dealer had misdiagnosed and had grossly overcharged in the estimate. After repeated scans and erasures, I determined that the OBD, ABS, and transmission computer systems could not talk to each other. A $53 used translate computer module from eBay fixed the lights.
6) Interior- Cleaned the living s*** out of the inside. Years of old fries, dropped candy, and spilled coke. Replaced most of the interior bulbs with LED, and installed a new leather seat bottom for the driver.
7) s***s and grins- removed the roof rack, installed 2 more crossbars from the junkyard, and repainted it black. While it was off I painted the roof white and installed a factory spoiler. I think this helps my fuel economy.

As for a compressor, I have the GSPCN, and it is fine, but the Maxitrac compressor at NAPA is a better choice.
Thanks for the reply! I didn't even think of thinner tires but that sounds like a great idea. I don't go fast and don't seek out rough stuff, but bigger sidewalls sure do seem like the way to go to absorb the roads.

Just ordered one of the compressor from Napa, thanks for the recommendation. Seems like a lot of love for it online.

Just one Q- do the tires rub? Did u just go second notch on the 5100s and that was enough space?

The plan evolves...

Just ordered that pump recommended, that alone will be nice. Can air down again.

Thinking of 6112s up front- look a lot beefier and still in budget. 5100 in back still

Tires- I'm thinking 32". I hope that fits with just a level, maybe different offset rims. If not, maybe a 1" lift in back and 3" front and diff drop kit to fit them. Maybe UCAs

I'm thinking, the order of operations should be: install 5100s in back for sure. Won't change alignment or anything. Then, level it with 6112s. See if 32 will fit- not sure how to do that without just jumping for it. If they fit and align, great. If not, need to look into offset wheels or spacer and upper control arms.

Greetings. I have recently started modifying our long held family sequoia since the wife was upgraded to a GX. Some thoughts on your plans per your request. In general I would start with covering basic maintenance (as SgtScrounge mentioned), fundamental/performance upgrades (inexpensive), fundamental/performance upgrades (expensive) and creature comforts/practical solutions for your specific needs. BTW, not sure if he is on here but Sal R has some amazing upgrade posts on Sequoia-Forums.com. Same for Big Nudge.
  • Fluids (relatively inexpensive) - Change the fluids, etc. and look for any signs of issues when doing so (ie don‘t go to Jiffy Lube IMO). Even if you don’t find anything it will give you peace of mind when out in the sticks. I am going to be doing my second timing belt change this winter and am probably going to change the radiator at the same time given how little a new one costs and the heat we experience in Southern Utah.
  • Lighting (inexpensive) - I have changed out the interior lights to LED and that is pretty nice. A massive upgrade that cost very little was to wire in white and red led strip lights that are mounted using adhesive backed material In the cargo area. Super easy and a major difference. I am going to add another set on the bottom of the rear gate to improve the light situation when loading/unloading. I have changed out the headlights to LED but not the housing yet. LED headlights can be a rabbit hole of competing info so go with a reputable manufacturer and apply the adage, “if it seems to good to be true it probably is”. 1/2 the price but promising the same thing? Suuuurrrreeee. Also, consider wiring in some rear convenience outlets at the same time.
  • Suspension (spendy) - I recently upgraded to the Dobinson IMS suspension and did a 1.75”lift. I don’t do any serious rock crawling, sounds like the same washboard dirt and rock strewn BLM roads you are looking at. Been VERY happy with the difference even around town. I chose the IMS based upon feedback about how well it does do on washboard FWIW.
  • Brakes (~$4-500? IIRC)- I highly recommend upgrading the front disc brakes to a larger option. I am not talking about 2 piston vs 4 piston stock, I am talking about upgrading to a late year TRD or similar swap out. I did the upgrade Sal R wrote up but have seen others since. It makes a HUGE difference. I ordered my calipers and discs from Performance Brake. Two things on the 1st gen that are underengineered, the front disc brakes and the rear gate latch.
  • Rear gate latch - After I replaced it for the second time (we used it a lot) I looked for another option. I found an electric actuated rear gate latch online. The actuator that came in the kit was great but the 1st and 2nd buttons failed on me. I replaced it with this one from Grainger. That, combined with new gas springs has been a total game changer. Not the sexiest upgrade but one that you will appreciate every time you open the rear gate.
  • Tires/wheels - haven’t quite gotten there yet but agree with your logic for the most part. I would recommend, if you are going far afield, to have two spares. Cutting a sidewall and putting the spare on means you are now going home. Two spares let’s you continue with more confidence. At least that is my philosophy having been in that predicament before.
  • Bumpers - Probably going to be the last thing I touch. Don’t really need a front one now, rear with two tire carriers might be nice but then are in the way every time you get in the back.
I am also trying to schedule in the UCA’s, and replacing ball joints, etc. Not sexy but if they break you are stuck at best and in an accident at worst. Question, what do you hunt and how are you transporting your game home (assuming you do)? I would consider the logistics of that early on.

good luck!

Greetings. I have recently started modifying our long held family sequoia since the wife was upgraded to a GX. Some thoughts on your plans per your request. In general I would start with covering basic maintenance (as SgtScrounge mentioned), fundamental/performance upgrades (inexpensive), fundamental/performance upgrades (expensive) and creature comforts/practical solutions for your specific needs. BTW, not sure if he is on here but Sal R has some amazing upgrade posts on Sequoia-Forums.com. Same for Big Nudge.
  • Fluids (relatively inexpensive) - Change the fluids, etc. and look for any signs of issues when doing so (ie don‘t go to Jiffy Lube IMO). Even if you don’t find anything it will give you peace of mind when out in the sticks. I am going to be doing my second timing belt change this winter and am probably going to change the radiator at the same time given how little a new one costs and the heat we experience in Southern Utah.
  • Lighting (inexpensive) - I have changed out the interior lights to LED and that is pretty nice. A massive upgrade that cost very little was to wire in white and red led strip lights that are mounted using adhesive backed material In the cargo area. Super easy and a major difference. I am going to add another set on the bottom of the rear gate to improve the light situation when loading/unloading. I have changed out the headlights to LED but not the housing yet. LED headlights can be a rabbit hole of competing info so go with a reputable manufacturer and apply the adage, “if it seems to good to be true it probably is”. 1/2 the price but promising the same thing? Suuuurrrreeee. Also, consider wiring in some rear convenience outlets at the same time.
  • Suspension (spendy) - I recently upgraded to the Dobinson IMS suspension and did a 1.75”lift. I don’t do any serious rock crawling, sounds like the same washboard dirt and rock strewn BLM roads you are looking at. Been VERY happy with the difference even around town. I chose the IMS based upon feedback about how well it does do on washboard FWIW.
  • Brakes (~$4-500? IIRC)- I highly recommend upgrading the front disc brakes to a larger option. I am not talking about 2 piston vs 4 piston stock, I am talking about upgrading to a late year TRD or similar swap out. I did the upgrade Sal R wrote up but have seen others since. It makes a HUGE difference. I ordered my calipers and discs from Performance Brake. Two things on the 1st gen that are underengineered, the front disc brakes and the rear gate latch.
  • Rear gate latch - After I replaced it for the second time (we used it a lot) I looked for another option. I found an electric actuated rear gate latch online. The actuator that came in the kit was great but the 1st and 2nd buttons failed on me. I replaced it with this one from Grainger. That, combined with new gas springs has been a total game changer. Not the sexiest upgrade but one that you will appreciate every time you open the rear gate.
  • Tires/wheels - haven’t quite gotten there yet but agree with your logic for the most part. I would recommend, if you are going far afield, to have two spares. Cutting a sidewall and putting the spare on means you are now going home. Two spares let’s you continue with more confidence. At least that is my philosophy having been in that predicament before.
  • Bumpers - Probably going to be the last thing I touch. Don’t really need a front one now, rear with two tire carriers might be nice but then are in the way every time you get in the back.
I am also trying to schedule in the UCA’s, and replacing ball joints, etc. Not sexy but if they break you are stuck at best and in an accident at worst. Question, what do you hunt and how are you transporting your game home (assuming you do)? I would consider the logistics of that early on.

good luck!
Hey man! Thanks for the reply.

• Totally agree on fluids, I change them all myself regularly. Including diffs, brake fluid
  • Lighting- I actually JUST changed interior to LED and it made a BIG difference. Well worth it.
    • Headlights- I bought some LED bulbs for 20 bucks and threw them in- it does feel better, but I've seen the same threads about how its not 'usable light' without changing the housing or whatever. They look cool so I'm just going to roll with it.
    • Aux lights- I have a big LED light bar in back which is very useful in the desert. I'm going to add some driving lights up front too- a LED bar and maybe spotlights. Probably just cheaper Amazon LED stuff, works really well for me! The rear bar I got for 20$ and it's lasted 3 years so far (rain, phoenix 120 degree heat, etc)
  • BRAKES! I upgraded 13WE calipers to the bigger 13WL from the later year 1gens. Well worth it, less than 100$ for the calipers and I needed pads anyway.
  • TIRES AND WHEELS / SUSPENSION! I'm waiting for my tires to wear out, then I'm planning on plunking down for tires and full suspension.
    • Suspension- I was initially thinking of just getting Bilstein 5100's like most others, but I'm willing to plunk down up to 2K if it makes a world of difference. Glad to know you like the IMS kit- I had been looking at the OME kit as well.
    • UCAs- I hear they are only needed for 2" plus of lift. Any reason you want to do them anyway with your 1.75" lift? Not cheap at 500-1000$ so I'm planning on avoiding if I can fit the tires I want without lifting it that much to need them
    • TIRES! I swear I'm losing sleep over it. Not sure what to do. The 235/85/16 option seems really attractive, my only concern is whether they're big enough. It's only 1" bigger than stock, and stock feels tiny. I'm going back and forth whether I want to go 3" lift and stick 33's in there (255 width), but the extra strain on the suspension with that much lift doesn't feel like a good idea.
As far as hunting- I hunt birds and small game a lot but I've been branching out into predator hunting too recently. It's been taking me to some pretty gnarly terrain. Hope to get into elk, but draw odds in AZ aren't kind. Drought, etc. Obviously not a problem hauling out what I hunt given the size ;) if I did draw an elk I guess I would just bring all my coolers?

If you're using random H4 leds, and not mini projectors, I highly encourage on changing them for the headlights. They're less than $50 and is a huge value compared to $500-$1k retrofits.

Street legal lights have a hard cut off so you don't blind vehicles ahead of you with random light dispersement. It's not just legal, but courteous and safer for everyone on the road.

Lastly, they focus all the light forward and down, which makes the area lit up better for you.

Link below to the ones I've used.

Amazon product ASIN B07XRQ9GHG

If you're using random H4 leds, and not mini projectors, I highly encourage on changing them for the headlights. They're less than $50 and is a huge value compared to $500-$1k retrofits.

Street legal lights have a hard cut off so you don't blind vehicles ahead of you with random light dispersement. It's not just legal, but courteous and safer for everyone on the road.

Lastly, they focus all the light forward and down, which makes the area lit up better for you.

Link below to the ones I've used.

Amazon product ASIN B07XRQ9GHG
Thanks for the link! Yeah, the ones I picked were just straight led bulbs no projector. I'll swap them out and change for a set with the projectors; the ones I bought are still returnable so might as well.

Did those ones fit with your dust boots or did you have to cut or leave them off?

Thanks for the link! Yeah, the ones I picked were just straight led bulbs no projector. I'll swap them out and change for a set with the projectors; the ones I bought are still returnable so might as well.

Did those ones fit with your dust boots or did you have to cut or leave them off?

No modification needed other than removing the halogen reflector from the housing. Very easy.

Hey man! Thanks for the reply.

• Totally agree on fluids, I change them all myself regularly. Including diffs, brake fluid
  • Lighting- I actually JUST changed interior to LED and it made a BIG difference. Well worth it.
    • Headlights- I bought some LED bulbs for 20 bucks and threw them in- it does feel better, but I've seen the same threads about how its not 'usable light' without changing the housing or whatever. They look cool so I'm just going to roll with it.
    • Aux lights- I have a big LED light bar in back which is very useful in the desert. I'm going to add some driving lights up front too- a LED bar and maybe spotlights. Probably just cheaper Amazon LED stuff, works really well for me! The rear bar I got for 20$ and it's lasted 3 years so far (rain, phoenix 120 degree heat, etc)
  • BRAKES! I upgraded 13WE calipers to the bigger 13WL from the later year 1gens. Well worth it, less than 100$ for the calipers and I needed pads anyway.
  • TIRES AND WHEELS / SUSPENSION! I'm waiting for my tires to wear out, then I'm planning on plunking down for tires and full suspension.
    • Suspension- I was initially thinking of just getting Bilstein 5100's like most others, but I'm willing to plunk down up to 2K if it makes a world of difference. Glad to know you like the IMS kit- I had been looking at the OME kit as well.
    • UCAs- I hear they are only needed for 2" plus of lift. Any reason you want to do them anyway with your 1.75" lift? Not cheap at 500-1000$ so I'm planning on avoiding if I can fit the tires I want without lifting it that much to need them
    • TIRES! I swear I'm losing sleep over it. Not sure what to do. The 235/85/16 option seems really attractive, my only concern is whether they're big enough. It's only 1" bigger than stock, and stock feels tiny. I'm going back and forth whether I want to go 3" lift and stick 33's in there (255 width), but the extra strain on the suspension with that much lift doesn't feel like a good idea.
As far as hunting- I hunt birds and small game a lot but I've been branching out into predator hunting too recently. It's been taking me to some pretty gnarly terrain. Hope to get into elk, but draw odds in AZ aren't kind. Drought, etc. Obviously not a problem hauling out what I hunt given the size ;) if I did draw an elk I guess I would just bring all my coolers?
A few follow up thoughts. I had the larger stock calipers in my 1st gen. When I mentioned brake upgrade I meant this one posted by Sal R. on Sequoia-Forums. It replaces the stock calipers and disks with ones off of a GX470. Note that it requires 17” wheels. Not sure if he has posted on this site as well but I cannot say enough good things about his posts. Great quality posts, great quality work and very sensible choices IMO.

Regarding the UCA’s, in general, due to the rough roads in S. Utah that I want to travel I am interested in replacing/servicing/upgrading any of the linkages to avoid a break. UCA’s are down the list a bit due to cost and other factors but still on the list Given I am running a 20 year old vehicle.

Regarding tires, 1stgenoffroad.com is super helpful understanding what size tire/wheel setup you can run with stock suspension, lifts of various sizes, etc. Same goes for Sal R. He shows how he tubbed his front wheel wells to fit in larger tires.

Good luck.

A few follow up thoughts. I had the larger stock calipers in my 1st gen. When I mentioned brake upgrade I meant this one posted by Sal R. on Sequoia-Forums. It replaces the stock calipers and disks with ones off of a GX470. Note that it requires 17” wheels. Not sure if he has posted on this site as well but I cannot say enough good things about his posts. Great quality posts, great quality work and very sensible choices IMO.

Regarding the UCA’s, in general, due to the rough roads in S. Utah that I want to travel I am interested in replacing/servicing/upgrading any of the linkages to avoid a break. UCA’s are down the list a bit due to cost and other factors but still on the list Given I am running a 20 year old vehicle.

Regarding tires, 1stgenoffroad.com is super helpful understanding what size tire/wheel setup you can run with stock suspension, lifts of various sizes, etc. Same goes for Sal R. He shows how he tubbed his front wheel wells to fit in larger tires.

Good luck.
Good stuff! I'll look into the posts by Sal R over there, looks like some good stuff. Same with 1stgenoffroad- I'm afraid to make a wrong move with tires given that it's not easily changed once you install them + suspension.

The brake upgrade looks cool but honestly I'm happy with the 13wl. In fact, I was happy with the old style (13we) but just want to hedge my bets for when I have to tow a small trailer + atv up to the mountains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom