My progression over the coming years with an interesting forty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
I’m going to be posting to this thread with my progression of my truck. This truck is my first car that I bought when I was 15.It is a 1979 (sike, turns out it’s a 77) BJ40 diesel. I bought it from a guy in Costa Rica who restored a ton of stuff back to factory spec. I got a killer deal on it for only about 8 grand. The guy had the nickname “Naranjita” which means “Little orange” in Spanish. Fitting name because the freeborn red paint has faded to an orange color, so it stuck. The truck has a lot of cool history to it, because it was a part of a Guinness world record for largest logo. The logo was made by over 1600 Toyota’s located in Costa Rica, and each Toyota that participated got a window sticker that indicated it was a part of the world record. I think that is super cool. It has some rust on it, but it shouldn’t be anything that would cause me trouble. I am planning to do a multitude of things including a lift, roof rack and a custom bumper. I’ll include some pictures of my cars, and feel free to reach out and ask questions or make recommendations on my build.

AC51CC73-DD28-4D5C-8FBB-3AC67297FBCE.jpeg

E1B9DCE3-4049-434B-8D52-3A6805C8083B.jpeg

11127519-C36B-4867-AAB6-BE75DA02B895.jpeg

B109C06B-2946-45C8-A0FA-7C6B09A26698.jpeg

Last edited:
The first major thing I did to it was an engine overhaul. My head cracked, and my cylinders expanded. I had my B engine rebuilt, and it is currently getting installed this weekend. I think it is a really good start, as I probably don’t have to worry about the engine for a while.

1C6C9B8E-D071-4D38-A5B2-D61E990D14EE.jpeg

I am considering mounting a new bumper that will protect it from front end damage, and overall give it a very distinctive look. In the United States, most people don’t have full bull bars and brush guards, but I really love how it looks. I think I’m going to get a welder to make one for me like this for about 500 bucks....

3344CAD9-AA7F-4A5C-9F51-AB0706845873.jpeg

1615476260929.png

I'm thinking about this rough country 4 inch lift. Yes, I know, its cheap and stiff and stuff, but 650 dollars for a 4 inch lift with lifetime unlimited mile warranty is nothing to scoff at. I am young, so I can handle a stiff ride. I didn't buy a 40 series to have a luxury ride, so a hard ride is expected. I'm a high school athlete so a hard ride shouldn't be too bad, I would rather have the ground clearance when I go mudding. Certainly more appealing than a hell creek or ome price. Maybe when I get older, ill get a softer suspension, but for now I think this rough country kit looks good for my needs. Ill be selling my 31 muddies to pay for most of the cost of 35 inch muddies to go with this kit.

1615476730778.png

eventually, maybe in a few years or months (depending on my impulse and bank account), I may jump in and get this gobi rack. My dad has a friend who makes cool roof top tents, so it would go nicely with this. I'm planning to use this as an ultimate overlander.

Cool truck with a cool story. You might consider how much weight you're planning to add to a B-powered FJ40. Don't want to slow it down too much!

Cool truck with a cool story. You might consider how much weight you're planning to add to a B-powered FJ40. Don't want to slow it down too much!
Yea true. In a world with limitless money, I would overhaul a 12HT and instal it, but that’s a bit unrealistic. I looked into turbo kits but they are extremely expensive. Maybe I’ll learn how to turbo it and make a kit myself one day.....

Cool back story to your truck. Get it running reliably and drive it for a while.
Personally I’d put more money into running gear and put the other stuff on the back burner.

Cool back story to your truck. Get it running reliably and drive it for a while.
Personally I’d put more money into running gear and put the other stuff on the back burner.
it is all set except the engine which is going in (in a rebuilt state) on the weekend/week, so it should be pretty good. slow but good

I know this is a different strokes for different folks world... But god please don't copy that Bull Bar...

Maybe a nice 4-Plus design? :)

Great story!!! Looking forward to the build up!

View attachment 2610485
I'm thinking about this rough country 4 inch lift. Yes, I know, its cheap and stiff and stuff, but 650 dollars for a 4 inch lift with lifetime unlimited mile warranty is nothing to scoff at. I am young, so I can handle a stiff ride. I didn't buy a 40 series to have a luxury ride, so a hard ride is expected.
It’s not stiff at all when you lubricate the springs and take the 2nd bottom leafs out.

I know this is a different strokes for different folks world... But god please don't copy that Bull Bar...

Maybe a nice 4-Plus design? :)

Great story!!! Looking forward to the build up!
I don’t know....boxy bull bar for a boxy truck, I find it quite fitting and looks utilitarian. I can always remove it if I change my mind....I think it’s a peice that will make it distinctly mine, and not just another lifted forty. I’m not quite sure what a 4 plus design is....would you mind putting a picture so I can see?!im going for something that looks period correct

It’s not stiff at all when you lubricate the springs and take the 2nd bottom leafs out.
Oh that’s good. What does removing springs do exactly? Does it shorten the height of the lift, nothing at all, or what?

Oh that’s good. What does removing springs do exactly? Does it shorten the height of the lift, nothing at all, or what?
Soften the springs. The height is a little bit lower, but the rear lift is more like 5” with these springs without doing anything else. At least 4” even one leaf removed.

Soften the springs. The height is a little bit lower, but the rear lift is more like 5” with these springs without doing anything else. At least 4” even one leaf removed.
Oh okay, thanks for the advice.

I think skyjacker is a better choice for a lift kit and it is not too expensive , no trouble and a nice ride since 2003 on my fj40 ,also good flex for a SUA

With all the weight you plan to add (bumper bullbar , roof rack) , the ride should be softened

But dont forget it will be more tippy with a high center of gravity , even more with a big roof rack and top tent

I think skyjacker is a better choice for a lift kit and it is not too expensive , no trouble and a nice ride since 2003 on my fj40 ,also good flex for a SUA

With all the weight you plan to add (bumper bullbar , roof rack) , the ride should be softened

But dont forget it will be more tippy with a high center of gravity , even more with a big roof rack and top tent
Yea ill make sure to be careful, it’s not like it’s fast or anything haha

I agree with Jim, you might want to look at Skyjacker too. I ran them in the late 80's and 90's. They are not much more. I got a lot of compliments on how flexible the suspension was on the trail. My lift prior to it was stiff and would lift tires off the ground. I always had to approach obstacles differently than others to be successful.

I agree with Jim, you might want to look at Skyjacker too. I ran them in the late 80's and 90's. They are not much more. I got a lot of compliments on how flexible the suspension was on the trail. My lift prior to it was stiff and would lift tires off the ground. I always had to approach obstacles differently than others to be successful.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll probably go with skyjacker, as it appears to be a pretty good suspension and a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom