Minimum Carry-Along Tool Set? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys:

Two people wiser (one MUCH wiser) than me have said I need to carry a set of "emergency" tools in case I need to do some remote fixing of my 40. I received two Home Depot gift cards for Christmas, so I'm ready to do some buyin'. I'm not looking to buy an exhaustive set of tools (I already have a decent complement), just the ones I need to get me unstranded. All ideas appreciated. If this has been covered before, point me in the right direction. Thanks.

- Dave

Dave,

Here is a kit that I carry. I bought the tool roll from Deluth trading co.

This is my "small" kit, I have four others, the biggest is enough stuff to pull a motor in the field, etc. It has one of everything. This kit is really handy though. I modeled it after a kit that Griot's Garage used to sell called a "Rally Drivers" tool kit.

Metric wrenches, vice grips, adjustable wrench, etc. Since I took the pic, i put a small ball peen, etc in there.

-Stumbaugh
Copy of DSCN0010.JPG

Here is the Rally drivers kit sold by USAG:

A few hints:

You can buy double box end combination wrenches from sears in 10x12 and 12x14 - they are damn handy on a Cruiser, Sears also sells a 12x14 open end combo.

Don't forget your Hozan JIS (Japanese Phillips) screw drivers - search on ebay for Hozan, they are truely different...

-Stumbaugh
us-630087.jpg

Thanks John! What is "USAG", and where can one purchase this kit?

Dave,

USAG used to be sold by Griot's Garage but I don't think they sell that brand anymore. USAG is made in Italy and is the OEM supplier of tools to Ferrari and is the tool of choice for many European Forumla 1 teams. Snap on is in Europe but HAZET, USAG, Sykes Pickavant, Facom (SK) and others offer top of of the line tools there as well.

You'd be better off to do what I did and piece a kit together as that USAG Rally drivers kit would cost a few bucks...maybe $500?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Dave,

USAG used to be sold by Griot's Garage but I don't think they sell that brand anymore. USAG is made in Italy and is the OEM supplier of tools to Ferrari and is the tool of choice for many European Forumla 1 teams. Snap on is in Europe but HAZET, USAG, Sykes Pickavant, Facom (SK) and others offer top of of the line tools there as well.

You'd be better off to do what I did and piece a kit together as that USAG Rally drivers kit would cost a few bucks...maybe $500?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

John:

I was looking to find a breakdown of what the kit included so I could duplicate it on my own (as you suggest), but I couldn't find the kit for sale. Do you have a URL handy? Thanks!

Also, should I be carrying extra hoses, etc.?

- Dave

Google USAG tools, they have a site but you have to register, that kit is great but more than you need and Euro metric 13mm vs 12mm and lots of 11mm, 15mm, 16mm and 18mm that you won't see on a Toyota...

Here is a good start:

10mm and 12 in 1/4 deep and shallow sockets with ratchet. Hard top...
10, 12, 14, 17. 19 deep and shallow sockets in 3/8's with extensions and ratchet
Maybe 17, 19, 21 and 22 deep and shallow sockets in 1/2 with ratchets and extensions.
same in wrenches - open and box combo's
Good to have 3/8's, 1/2 and 9/16's for the SAE stuff that winds up on your truck such as the muffler hangers, muffler clamps, battery tray hold downs, battery terminals and misc crap that the PO's have put on.
Small and large adjustable wrenches
Small ball peen - I prefer small cross peen but they are hard to find in the USA but you can mail order them from a black smith supply in one pound size.
Set of screwdrivers including one HUGE flat blade
Chisel and punches
Dead blow hammer
Vice Grips
Water Pump Pliers - AKA "Channellocks" in a medium size
Needle Nosed Pliers
Wire Cutter - Dykes
Swiss Army Super Tinkerer and or Swiss Army "Swiss Tool" or if you must a leatherman type tool (inferior but still good).
Pry bar
A couple of flashlights

You don't have to buy the best tools for this kit as it's the most likely of all your tools to get lost or stolen from riding around in the car or getting mixed in with other peoples tools in the middle of field fixit situation (manure occoureth) so Craftsman or Husky from Home Depot is ideal.

Long Distance stuff:

Quart of Oil or 2
Some Gear oil in new, never opened bottles - nasty stuff!
Antifreeze
Brake Fluid
Latex gloves and jump suit to save your clothes
Flares
Jumper Cables
Old but good ignition wire
Good jack and wheel chalks
Some hose clamps - you can get an assortment at Wal-Mart
A short section of fuel line
Small section of hard fuel line
Crazy Glue
Wire Dryer - can use WD40 for this too
Fuel Dryer - for water in fuel
Amalgamating tape - sold at Home Depot in Plumbing sections
Electrical connectors, wire and tape (crimp kit)
Old Cell Phone - can always dial 911
Small can of WD40
Bug Repellant - one break down in the middle of nowhere and you'll not forget this ever again
Sun block - read above
Waterless hand cleaner
Paper Towels
Mini bottle of rainx - wiper or wiper motor failure
First Aide Kit
Rain or cold weather gear as needed

I am not a big fan of stop leak or other snake oil cures but I've found Lucas stuff made to do this does work on small leaks but the Radiator stuff that looks like rabbit food is a worse case scenario only deal - but it will get you off a mountain and back into town in worse case scenario so I do carry the pellet version and other stuff like it for emergencies. Don't use for "repairs" though, it smacks down the whole cooling sytem, heater core and all.

Anyone care to add?

-Stumbaugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom