may hit the NVBDR May 15-18, looking for advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm passing through Nevada May 15-18 on my way back to Seattle and was thinking of hitting one of the Nevada BDR segments on our way back home. I was thinking of segments 1, 2 or jump on segments 3 and 4. Probably just 2 days on the trails (Camping for 2-3 nights).

I've driven most of the WA BDR and it was all in all pretty easy. Went with friends so didn't think much of it in terms of safety or risk.

This trip we would be solo (my son and I).

Any advice about these trails that any of you can share? I've watched videos showing some (pretty large) washouts that made life on a adventure bike tough. But not sure how a 2 track vehicle would fare on some of the segments. Our truck is lifted with lockers and a winch and we have a radio. But I'm more curious about the general condition of the trail and any local advice you might have to make the trip awesome (or point is in a different direction).

The more the merrier if anyone wants to meet up or run with us, too!
Jeff

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! Have you run it before or offer any suggestions on which segments are better than others?
Leaning towards starting in Tonopah and going north, still working on the dates.

Sounds good to me! Have you run it before or offer any suggestions on which segments are better than others?
Leaning towards starting in Tonopah and going north, still working on the dates.
Let me know if you decide to do segments 1 and 2, Tonopah and north is getting a bit far from home for a day trip for me. I haven't done any of the segments so I can't provide any useful input.

I had to look up what the BDR even was and im not sure how ive never heard of it. I'm gonna be out of town the days you're going but im interested to see if these trails are good enough for us to take without too much trouble. I do a lot of solo camping too and this is in my area. I'm gonna follow along and see what you find

Just a quick update- it looks like we're going to stay for a few days longer in Colorado (west of denver) and in Moab and hit some of the trails there (Fins and Things, Dome Plateau) and will decide after those trails if we need to get home more quickly (through SLC) or meander further west and then turn north up towards the BDR. Will let you all know if we still end up hitting the BDR. It's still on my list, for sure, but might not be on this trip.

Did you guys ever run this? The NV BDR has been on my list since the route was defined.

Nope, we ended up spending 4 days in Moab and ran a few trails there- Fins and Things, Dome Plateau, Seven Mile Rim, and the beginning section of Rose Garden Hill (we didn't attempt the climb). The cruiser did great!

Running all of the BDRs is still on my list but I didn't feel comfortable running them solo with only my son.

Jeff

Nope, we ended up spending 4 days in Moab and ran a few trails there- Fins and Things, Dome Plateau, Seven Mile Rim, and the beginning section of Rose Garden Hill (we didn't attempt the climb). The cruiser did great!

Running all of the BDRs is still on my list but I didn't feel comfortable running them solo with only my son.

Jeff
That's interesting, I didn't feel comfortable running the NV BDR solo with only my son as well ; )