Max Spare Size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost every thread on max tire size in the spare seems to stop at how much trimming is required to run the tires. This is my weekend warrior so I'm ready to cut away. With that said I want to run a 32-33" tire (still up on the air on width) and want to fit my spare in the spare location. From what I measured it will fit (2004 with no KDSS or hitch). Can anyone confirm the max tire size diameter in the spare cavity with no KDSS sway bar or hitch it can hold?

Every setup is not the same.
1. It depend on actual dimension of the tire. Same size does not mean the tire is exactly the same size. Thread pattern somewhat impact size (especially width)
2. Lift size impact clearance a bit, As higher lift put the link arm at steeper angle and pull rear axle a bit forward.

Slightly worn 255/80R17 ST max fits. Toyo Open County AT2 does not as its a bit lerger diameter
Brand new 255/75R17 BFG KM2 JK Rubicon take off fits. This is what I have while running 255/80R17 Toyo Open County AT2 main tire.

Also GX use torsen center diff and open front/rear diff. It does not bind with slight difference in size like 4WD that use viscous coupling.

Every setup is not the same.
1. It depend on actual dimension of the tire. Same size does not mean the tire is exactly the same size. Thread pattern somewhat impact size (especially width)
2. Lift size impact clearance a bit, As higher lift put the link arm at steeper angle and pull rear axle a bit forward.

Slightly worn 255/80R17 ST max fits. Toyo Open County AT2 does not as its a bit lerger diameter
Brand new 255/75R17 BFG KM2 JK Rubicon take off fits. This is what I have while running 255/80R17 Toyo Open County AT2 main tire.

Also GX use torsen center diff and open front/rear diff. It does not bind with slight difference in size like 4WD that use viscous coupling.
This is what I plan to do. I have 255/80 AT3s about to be put on, but right now I dont want to do anything for a rear main carrier, no space inside car and no space on roof. My plan was to fit the largest tire I could or hopefully find a 255/80 used and ratchet it. Rare tire so struggling to find used. But I can find 255/75 pretty easily. No issues running 4WD at 32.1" vs 33.1" on the 255/75 vs 255/80. Im not an 4x4 expert

This is what I plan to do. I have 255/80 AT3s about to be put on, but right now I dont want to do anything for a rear main carrier, no space inside car and no space on roof. My plan was to fit the largest tire I could or hopefully find a 255/80 used and ratchet it. Rare tire so struggling to find used. But I can find 255/75 pretty easily. No issues running 4WD at 32.1" vs 33.1" on the 255/75 vs 255/80. Im not an 4x4 expert
I never run it but pretty confident it would not cause any problems if used only temporarily.
255/80R17 would turn about 610 revolution per mile
255/75 would turn 629 revolution per mile
That is equal to about 3%. Axle diff would see half the difference so about 1.5%. Center diff would see 0.75%. Torsen does not heat up and lock up with speed difference like viscous coupling.

I never run it but pretty confident it would not cause any problems if used only temporarily.
That is equal to about 3%. Axle diff would see half the difference so about 1.5%. Center diff would see 0.75%. Torsen does not heat up and lock up with speed difference like viscous coupling.
Would it possibly be a better idea to get a 285/70 with 40% tread and get that in there? closer in diameter.

@Jstawgn thanks for the info on the Torsen diffs being able to handle a slight difference in tire diameter.

I had heard that it might be a problem on 4x4s. I run a smaller spare zero mile 255/75R17 KM2 take off from a Jeep compared to my main tire 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grappler now at 50% thread left....so difference less than 1/2”.

This question comes up often. Some folks swear that a 285 slid right in with no issue, while others talk about having to deflate the spare and cinch it down with a ratchet strap to cram it in there. Your setup will impact whether it fits.

All that said, I went 265/70/17 specifically because I wanted to keep the stock spare location and didn't want to mess with a ratchet strap, etc. to get the spare up there.

This question comes up often. Some folks swear that a 285 slid right in with no issue, while others talk about having to deflate the spare and cinch it down with a ratchet strap to cram it in there. Your setup will impact whether it fits.

All that said, I went 265/70/17 specifically because I wanted to keep the stock spare location and didn't want to mess with a ratchet strap, etc. to get the spare up there.
Depending on the facts there could be another solution. Run whatever tire you want as long as a similar-ish size can fit underneath. Also, buy a used one with 30% tread left to help with fit. Also something you dont care about and didnt spend a lot of money on.

Im right now trying to figure out if I have 255/80, what makes more sense, 285/70 spare that is much much wider but has similar revs/mile or a 255/75 which is same width but has a bigger change in revs/mile

Depending on the facts there could be another solution. Run whatever tire you want as long as a similar-ish size can fit underneath. Also, buy a used one with 30% tread left to help with fit. Also something you dont care about and didnt spend a lot of money on.

Im right now trying to figure out if I have 255/80, what makes more sense, 285/70 spare that is much much wider but has similar revs/mile or a 255/75 which is same width but has a bigger change in revs/mile

I currently have a brand new 255/80/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W on a factory GX470 wheel in the stock spare location with the smaller style factory hitch that only attaches at the very rear of the frame. Fully inflated or not it didn't matter, but it fit. The only issue is that it will rub on the pan hard bar and take the paint off of it. I've done moderate trails with this setup and it has not put any pressure on the bar with any amount of flexing. A used tire would probably not touch the bar at all. The factory air compressor has to be removed.

I currently have a brand new 255/80/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W on a factory GX470 wheel in the stock spare location with the smaller style factory hitch that only attaches at the very rear of the frame. Fully inflated or not it didn't matter, but it fit. The only issue is that it will rub on the pan hard bar and take the paint off of it. I've done moderate trails with this setup and it has not put any pressure on the bar with any amount of flexing. A used tire would probably not touch the bar at all. The factory air compressor has to be removed.
Thanks for the info man. The varying amounts of what people can fit never ceases to amaze. More oftne than not people cant fit their 32.6 and 32.7" 285/70s but here you are fitting the 33! I have the tow package but I will probably just remove it as I dont use it, but I do want a tow back there for recovery and to stop my bumper from being the point of contact.
I havent looked into hitches much, I'll have to look around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom