Master Window Switch shenanigans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with the master window switches? Mine has gone bad. I tried a cheap e-bay replacement, but the programming on that switch is not 100% compatible with a GX470. The reference part number is 84040-60052 (a few Toyota models), but the GX should be 84040-60073. The guys on ebay say it works, but it doesn't. Tried two of them, and they ultimately blow the relay.

Any help would be appreciated!

Are the lights flashing on the switches? You have to "reset" the system sometimes to reprogram where the top and bottom of the window are for the auto feature to work

It’s all programmed, that’s an easy step. It’s definitely the switch itself. I’m just irritated by these eBay sellers that show their part is compatible but it’s not.

It’s all programmed, that’s an easy step. It’s definitely the switch itself. I’m just irritated by these eBay sellers that show their part is compatible but it’s not.
Did you ever get this sorted out? I just ordered the 84040-60052 part from ebay myself, but on my 2003 the part number printed on it actually says 84040-60070.

Which relay did it ultimately blow out for you?

Did you ever get this sorted out? I just ordered the 84040-60052 part from ebay myself, but on my 2003 the part number printed on it actually says 84040-60070.

Which relay did it ultimately blow out for you?
Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is having this trouble. I detailed my initial issue here: Power Window Issue

and did install 84040-60052 from ebay here: Driver Power Master Window Switch 84040-60052 For Lexus LEXUS GX470 2003-2009 | eBay to replace 84040-60070 and all seems to be working well so far. I only had to reprogram the driver window to relearn the auto up/down limits. All other windows/door lock button/window lock button worked plug and play.

We'll see if the relay blows. I will update this thread if it does.

So 84040-60052 was working well for a week, but shortly after my car battery died when I went to start it up one day (much less usage now due to the pandemic). I jumped it fine and drove that day with no issues. A few days later, my battery was dead again. It looks like the 60052 part is causing some kind of parasitic drain since it is not actually the correct part for my 03. I reattached the broken switch (which is actually 84040-60073 (not 60070 as I stated above)) and so far my battery has not died and I'm having no electrical issues besides not being able to raise the rear passenger side window with the front driver master switch.

So if you're having this problem. Don't try to use 84040-60052 to replace 84040-60073.

So you can open your driver side window and close it but you can’t open any other windows? That sounds like a simple reprogramming. If you go to the passenger side roll it all the way down and all the way up it should help you to use the master switch. It always works for me. I literally have to go and re-program every window individually so the master switch will roll it up or down after the battery dies

So you can open your driver side window and close it but you can’t open any other windows? That sounds like a simple reprogramming. If you go to the passenger side roll it all the way down and all the way up it should help you to use the master switch. It always works for me. I literally have to go and re-program every window individually so the master switch will roll it up or down after the battery dies
Not quite. I can open and close all windows from the driver master switch EXCEPT for being able to CLOSE the rear passenger window. I am able to open the rear passenger window and open/close all other windows. Only the closing function of the rear passenger window from the driver master switch does not work. I can close the rear passenger window from the rear passenger window switch.

Not quite. I can open and close all windows from the driver master switch EXCEPT for being able to CLOSE the rear passenger window. I am able to open the rear passenger window and open/close all other windows. Only the closing function of the rear passenger window from the driver master switch does not work. I can close the rear passenger window from the rear passenger window switch.
If it is in fact the switch and not the re-programming then try spraying some electrical cleaner in the contacts. I did this to mine when having similar issues and haven't had any more problems for several years now.

So it turns out, the actual keycap had a broken piece of plastic (bound to happen on an '03). When pulling up (or pushing down) on the window button, the action pushes 2 white triggers to push the contact pad into the circuit board. The piece of plastic that was broken was the piece that pushes the trigger into the contact pad. I replaced the keycap with the one from the 84040-60052 part I purchased that was giving me electrical gremlins. In case anyone does this fix, be careful when pulling off the keycap as there is a small spring that pops out.

Thanks for all that had shared any ideas or comments.

Glad to hear you figured it out! That issue would have bugged the hell out of me.

Glad to hear you figured it out! That issue would have bugged the hell out of me.
Just found this thread & registered on the website.

Thank you for the thorough write up & ID of the OEM switch ( #84040-60073) & the aftermarket switch ( #84040-60052).

Wife's 04 GX470 driver's window stopped functioning last week. As a temporary fix, I lubed the plungers on the driver window switch w/ silicone, reinstalled the switch . Switch worked OK but the up click function did not & you had to hold the button.

I bought the aftermarket switch ($27 ) as a replacement.

Fast forward to this morning....I replaced the OEM w/the aftermarket. All functions worked perfectly, except the LEDs stayed illuminated after the key was turned off. I was worried about the parasitic draw & could not get an accurate reading on my Fluke meter.

After reading your thread, I lubed all the plungers (4 in each button) w/ silicone on the OEM switch & reinstalled.

The OEM switch now works perfectly & no LEDs.

I was unable to identify the LED pins on the aftermarket switch, so I do not know how to disable the LEDs.

The buttons, plungers & springs are fragile, so the aftermarket switch is for spare parts.

:)

I disassembled the aftermarket switch.

As you can see from the pics, the button assembly is completely separate from the circuitry.

I suspect most of the problems w/ the switch malfunction is the button assembly & not the circuitry.

The aftermarket button assembly is transferrable to the OEM switch.
IMG_7896.JPG
IMG_7897.JPG
IMG_7898.JPG

I need to take my driver door master window switch and clean it with crc cleaner to see if it fixes my issue.

I drove thru 30” of water for about 10 feet and all my windows stopped working.

Since I posted on this thread…I’ll update my issue so there’s closure on my problem in this thread.

My issue was not water frying a wire, but instead the connector to the master window switch got disconnected on a moderate rocky trail Little John Bull in Big Bear, California.

Earlier this year, I had removed the door panels to vinyl wrap the wood trim and I must not have fully clicked in the connector in place. So, it got loose and disconnected on the trail.

I connected it at home and all is well. All windows work perfectly now.

91E8798D-48CA-4C89-B78B-5888875FF10D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom