malteserunner's M416 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max Coupler arrived today. I need to decide how long I'd like the tongue to be. I got the 18" version, so I can extend the tongue for highway travel. Even with that option, I think I'll set the tongue slightly longer than it was before.

20200619_003903.jpg

20200619_003819.jpg

20200619_004001.jpg

I ordered some 80/20 for the rear lid, and an additional crossbar for the tent. I still need to add something to hold the rack open, for access to the tub.

Decided on a tongue length, about 9" longer than when the trailer was stock. I can always go shorter, if need be, later.

20200620_181746.jpg

At the extended length, I'll be able to open my swing out tire carrier.

20200620_183920.jpg

Installed new lights and brackets. I used the same 3/4" LED side markers I have on my 80 series.

20200620_143659.jpg

20200620_181720.jpg

Sprayed some primer...

20200621_125155.jpg

And, reattached the safety chains.

Put together the frame for the rear lid. Used 80/20 and a couple 2.5" hinges. I'll get a sheet of aluminum for the top.

20200628_234447.jpg

20200628_234505.jpg

And, a fifth crossbar added, but 3" wide, for a little more rigidity.

20200628_234614.jpg

20200628_234548.jpg

And, some quick fists for the shovel.

20200628_234649.jpg

Went on the maiden camping voyage with the trailer. Everything is working well. Nice to have room for plenty of gear.

20200809_110933.jpg

20200809_104340.jpg

20200808_183253.jpg

20200808_154954.jpg

Ordered matching rock rings, from Total Metal Innovations.....because, why not?

Actually, they will serve some purpose. The last camp outing, I realized I'm about an inch too short (6'1"), to comfortably reach the toggles for the window on that side of my tent. We use the rock rings on the 80, as steps to climb up, just about every day. So, now we'll have a step on the trailer, too. And, valve stem protection, rim stiffening, etc.

20200828_171404.jpg

Just noticed your build and been browsing thru it and thought I'd make a suggestion that my CVT util trailer had that might come in handy for you in tight situations. The 2x2 tongue stock that you added on the front could benefit you if you welded a section to the rear of the frame and reinforced it. It's called a reversible tongue and gives the flexibility if you get bound up enough that you can't back out of a tight spot. You could pull the pin and disco the Max Coupler from the front and temporarily place in rear receiver to pull trailer back to a better spot and re-attach normally. You might need an extended bar to assist your reach to rear receiver. Of course this for extreme situations - like towing on Dusy or Rubicon - places you've seen before and might see again. If nothing else, the rear receiver can be used for all sorts of carrying attachments.

Nice work so far. I’ve been following this build since you started.

I’m about to start on a T3-C Bantam trailer. Nearly identical trailer to the M416. A couple quick Qs.

1. How many inches does the tongue extend from the face of the trailer box. I saw it was to assist w/ tire swing. Are you happy w/ the length?
2. I saw you positioned the tent all the way forward on the box. How is the tongue weight? My tent is a Tepui Ayer, so only about 110lbs.
3. How did the trailer pull on your shake down cruise with the extended tongue and tent placement?
4. I’m going to build a rack to elevate my tent to about eye level - 6’3” - for storage between the lid we are going to fabricate and the bottom of the rack. Any thoughts/advice based on your build and the shake down cruise?

Keep up the great work. Love the kids helping pull tire stems. Great family project.

Nice work so far. I’ve been following this build since you started.

I’m about to start on a T3-C Bantam trailer. Nearly identical trailer to the M416. A couple quick Qs.

1. How many inches does the tongue extend from the face of the trailer box. I saw it was to assist w/ tire swing. Are you happy w/ the length?
2. I saw you positioned the tent all the way forward on the box. How is the tongue weight? My tent is a Tepui Ayer, so only about 110lbs.
3. How did the trailer pull on your shake down cruise with the extended tongue and tent placement?
4. I’m going to build a rack to elevate my tent to about eye level - 6’3” - for storage between the lid we are going to fabricate and the bottom of the rack. Any thoughts/advice based on your build and the shake down cruise?

Keep up the great work. Love the kids helping pull tire stems. Great family project.

Thank you for the feedback.

45" is my measurement from the face of the tub, to the pivot (ball). The tongue length is perfect as is, but I can also extend it another 10" with my Max Coupler.

The tongue is so light on these trailers, I wanted the tent all the way forward. I'm using the rear portion for easier access to the back of the tub. Tongue weight is still pretty light.

The trailer pulls effortlessly, loaded or empty.

For my use, I wanted the tent low, for improved COG. The trails I'll drag this trailer through will be rough and rocky. The huge tires may put me at a disadvantage, but time will tell.

Glad you are enjoying the build!

Getting creative loading up for two nights camping at Oceano Dunes SVRA. I might make a rack, more suitable for the quad, if I like the way it handles the trip.

20210313_144106.jpg

Let me know if you ever want a local to wheel with, particularly in the hills to the east of Pismo.

Repping the big Jerk Pirates flag like a local!

Repping the big Jerk Pirates flag like a local!
😀 we stuck that on there at one of the flag rallies last year. Been trying to do our part, to get the dunes reopened.

The sand is super smooth out here right now, with all this wind!

20210315_124526.jpg

Yeah, it's windy as hell right now. I was thinking about heading down later, but not if the wind doesn't die down. I hate being sand blasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom