Lowering kit for XR 400R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondered if anybody has used a new rear linkage to lower a dirt bike. I need to lower the seat height on my XR 400R. I did some research online and am still not 100% convinced this will work for me. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

Couldn't you loosen up the adjustable spring rate on the the shock absorber so that when you sit on it it'll be lower?

Couldn't you loosen up the adjustable spring rate on the the shock absorber so that when you sit on it it'll be lower?

That is what I did on my '01 XR250R

Follow the rear trailing arm to the frame,you'll see where the shock is stuffed inside the coil spring, and look for the threaded collar underneath the spring. You adjust up for for more rigidity or loosen it for softer(lower ride height)Your owners manual should specify how to do this. My 05 Honda TRX450R manual shows this.....but it's a quad. Should be the same.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I did not get an owner's manual with the bike. I can see what to do with what you said though. It would help to have a softer ride (I weigh 130 pounds), sometimes it feels like the bike is trying to throw me off. Thanks again, I'll repost when I do what you suggested.

no manual, might want to check out this:
http://www.clymer.com/products.asp?Type=Motorcycle

PRD_1331.jpg

If adjusting the rear shock doesn't give enough, I have heard of replacing the rear shock link to lower the bike, but I think that'd be a lot of hassle.

You should lower it enough with the shock. At 130lbs, you certainly don't need that much travel. Believe me you will get used to a taller bike (new rider?), they are really not bad. What's your seat height, measuring from the floor to the lowest portion of your seat?

The spring perch you guys are describing is the "preload" on the spring. Used for setting up static sag. You do not want to adjust the ride height much with this, as it will cause funky handling.

You do want to adjust both ends of the bike the same, to maintain proper steering geometries. If you lower the back 1", lower the front (raise the forks in the triple clamps) a corresponding 1".

You might be able to shave the seat cushion to effectively lower seat height, but leaving the travel/geometries the same.

Good luck,
G'dood

No idea about the Honda, but I used/tried a lowering link kit for my old KLR 650. Personally, I didn't care for it, but lots of guys use em. Check out www.advrider.com

Hi,
I bought a new link for about $100 for my XR600R. I can't even remember where now it's been so long, but I can do some looking if you haven't solved the problem?

It was a simple swap. It's been awhile now but it let my short little legs touch the ground nicely on a 600. I don't know if there is a taller bike out there. My 400R is fine as is for me, but the 600 was a bugger. Hope that helps?

Brian

I visited the forum thumpertalk at Dave-T's suggestion and set the bike accordingly for my size (5'7" and 130#) and it is great now. I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet without difficulty. I really like riding the bike now and may or may not continue with suspension mods. Thanks for everyone's input.

Congrats! What did you end up doing to bring it to a comfortable height?

Gotta love the torque from the big bore XR's, mmmmmm. :D Supposed to go ridin' tomorrow but looks like it'll be too cold.

Hey Dave,

I ended up setting the sag correctly, which helped a bunch. With a local resource and the forum's collective knowledge it was pretty straightforward.

I ended up raising the forks back up to the top of the tubes, so the bike is actually taller now than it used to be, but it feels great to ride. I kept bottoming out the front end on the last ride, so I'm messing with rhe compression now to see if that will help. I know it is not made for jumping but it sure is fun.

We have had so much snow and rain lately the prairies and gullies are very muddy. XRs are not the best mud boggers, but there much easier to drag out than a 4X4. I have the 60 and a 93 Toy Xcab V6, totally stock except for 30" tires, and they both suck in the mud:) .

Thanks again for the insights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom