Looking for opinions or advice on wheels. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently running 275/70/17 KO2's on TRD Pro Wheels (17") that I believe were takeoffs from a TRD Pro 4Runner that the previous owner had. I've been looking at bumping up to a 285/70 or 295/70 MT however it just hit me that I should probably change wheels as well. I'm accustomed to being stuck with 17"s on my previous GX due to brake clearance but my surf came with 15"s from the factory so there is plenty of clearance.

I know the benefits of running a smaller wheel for more sidewall but I'm curious from the group what you would consider (15", 16" or stick with 17"). The only real benefit I see of keeping the 17"s is for the look for the TRD Pro wheels. If I go smaller then I'd be looking for something fairly plain (steel, black, cheap, better offset).

Having said that does anyone have suggestions on fairly cheap wheels in the 15-16" range that you've had success with? I'd be running a 33 and it's probably also worth mentioning that they need to clear my manual hubs on the front.

IMG_6059.jpg

There aren't many tire options for 15s anymore. I would suggest staying in 16s or 17s. Tires for 16s are more limited than 17s, but you'll get more sidewall to use when aired down.

These are the wheels I'm strongly considering.

There aren't many tire options for 15s anymore. I would suggest staying in 16s or 17s. Tires for 16s are more limited than 17s, but you'll get more sidewall to use when aired down.
Yea I thought about that. I was looking at these wheels. I can get a Kenda Klever MT in a 33x12.50r15 or a Toyo Open Country MT in a 33x10.50r15.

Looks good. Folks seem to like both of those tires. The Toyo is a solid tire. It took the beating that @bush threw at it well.

I just bought a set of five of the pro Comp 69 series. I went with the 16x8's for the sidewall. And the Tacoma's running tundra brakes and calipers. They're a perfect fit. And four wheel parts run sales on them frequently.

Have a set of Toyo 315s on Tundra steelies you can try on if you like.

Have a set of Toyo 315s on Tundra steelies you can try on if you like.
I might actually take you up on that just to see the fit because I've messed around with the idea of bigger sizes and I'm pretty curious what this truck can handle as is without major rubbing.

I might actually take you up on that just to see the fit because I've messed around with the idea of bigger sizes and I'm pretty curious what this truck can handle as is without major rubbing.

Just let me know. We would have to get three off the 40 but that's easy.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger. I was sold on Toyo's but then I started watching damn Ronny Dahl tire review videos and now I think I'm going to try out the Maxxis Razr MT so it looks like I'm going with Pro Comp 69's in a 16x8 -12 offset and the Razr MT's in a 285/75/16. They don't carry a 305 but they claim it's a 33x11.8 which should work fine for me.

I love my Razrs…33x10.50R15 on stock Land Cruiser 40 Series wheels (15x5.5”) still available new from Toyota:

4AB8E9E9-CEDC-448B-B79F-5930BB950A6D.jpeg

*If* I owned your truck, I’d run either 17” FJ Cruiser steel wheels or 16” CityRacer Land Cruiser steelies. The former are reasonable $, the latter are pricey.

I love my Razrs…33x10.50R15 on stock Land Cruiser 40 Series wheels (15x5.5”) still available new from Toyota:

View attachment 2894693

*If* I owned your truck, I’d run either 17” FJ Cruiser steel wheels or 16” CityRacer Land Cruiser steelies. The former are reasonable $, the latter are pricey.

I like those but little more than I want to spend. I’d just stick with the 17” TRD Pros if it weren’t for needing something with a better offset. The surf has wide fenders.

Jess has RAZRs on her 80. Come by and drive it sometime. I don't love em, but they're great offroad.

Jess has RAZRs on her 80. Come by and drive it sometime. I don't love em, but they're great offroad.
I don’t expect a ton on road from any MT. I’ll give them a shot and figure if I don’t like them then the new Kenda MT will be out later this year. I got a damn good price via Walmart and they were like $85/tire less than the Toyo.

New wheels came in and tires should be tomorrow. First impressions on the Pro Comp 69's. Love the look but not a huge fan of the finish. When they say "flat black" they mean it. They look good now but man they are going to scratch easy (I scratched one with my fingernail on accident so I'd bet I'll be repainting these things in less than a year. Hopefully the deep set to them protects them some.
IMG_6221.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom