Local Shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got our first LC. It's a 93 FZJ80 and couldn't get the PS pump out (broke 2 sockets trying) so had to take it to the dealership. Still have some issue to work through and wondered about a local shop here in Omaha/LaVista area you guys would recommend.

Thanks

Some of the bolts on these older trucks can be a real PITA to get loose. PB Blaster helps (hitch & bumper & suspension bolts). Sometimes heat is required - sometimes 'tapping' a couple of times with a big brass hammer (cone nuts on wheels), a few times I've had to get real creative (drill out a bolt & re-tap).

With two 80 series trucks and no time, I've used a few different places here in town. Where I take it depends on what I'm having done.

I've had PS pumps done at two of places. Of the two, believe it or not, the Performance Toyota dealership did the better job and $100 cheaper. It was <$700 pump & labor included. They did have to order the part (of course) from the KC warehouse.

I had a custom exhaust built and installed by All-Pro Muffler on 60th just North of L. 3" stainless over the frame rail -$800. They sourced a Magnaflow 'turbo' empty can muffler - and my truck sounded like straight pipes. I sourced my own muffler from Stainlessworks ($300) and had them cut out the Magnaflow junk and put in the Stainlessworks. I and my neighbors are happier with the solution. Still much louder than stock.

I did my own OME 2.5" heavy lift - but I don't own a press to do the bushings. I had those done at D&D automotive on 140th North of L. When dealing with a shop like that it is important to give them express instructions - like the control arm bolts turning while the nuts stand still, which ones are back-threaded, etc...

I had some electrical issues chased a power steering pump installed at AutoStation just West of 139th on Q.

I had body work done on my wife's truck and my Z28 - parking lot bumps - at Gateway Collision center on 110th & Harrison.

I try to do quite a bit of the work myself - weekend before last was oil changes. Weekend after next is brakes - though that may get put off until after the Tuttle trip (if that is happening).

I also need to figure out why the fans on my Z28 aren't coming on right - but that job may get farmed out. Too many projects, not enough time.

Welcome!

Performance did our PS pump when I couldn't get it off. It then proceeded to blow the high pressure and return hoses. They did the bearings and brakes. I am working through rich/lean CEL codes right now and don't know how far I'll get on my own.

Fuel pump relay replaced and still need the FP +B bypass to get fuel to run. Not having much luck finding the problem and will probably take it in to Performance for diagnostics.

Keith's BP

Id recomend Keith's BP On 90th and Fort. They have 6 service bays all with certifed mechanics. They're a lot cheaper than the dealership. I used to take my 91 FJ80 there all the time. They've also done great work on my 82 CJ5 and 77 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom