KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a small project i did on my drawers. Had a small safe/lockbox sitting in the garage for years, took a look the other day and realized it fit perfectly in my drawer. I routed out a hole in the back of the drawer and mounted the safe inside using carriage bolts. Now i have a secret out of sight box to keep valuables if needed. Im hoping the hole doesn't hurt the structural integrity of the drawers but we will see.

I'm curious to see the pictures, but I'm seeing the following error on these links:

IH8MUD Forum - Error
You do not have permission to view media within this album.​

Very nice!

What are the dimensions of that safe?

Did you have to shorten the drawer?

Its about 8 in wide and 14 in long, Height is the same as the depth of the drawer.

I was originally going to shorten the drawer and use the cavity for the lockbox and possibly a 2nd battery system, but since it fits into the drawer itself its much more secure as someone would need to open the safe to unbolt it from the inside of the drawer.

Its about 8 in wide and 14 in long, Height is the same as the depth of the drawer.

I was originally going to shorten the drawer and use the cavity for the lockbox and possibly a 2nd battery system, but since it fits into the drawer itself its much more secure as someone would need to open the safe to unbolt it from the inside of the drawer.

So it sounds like the safe itself is bolted to the back wall of the drawer and an "access hole" has been cut into the rear face of the box to allow access to open and close the safe, is this correct?

If this is correct, I'd love to see a couple of pictures of how the safe was mounted on the drawer.

So it sounds like the safe itself is bolted to the back wall of the drawer and an "access hole" has been cut into the rear face of the box to allow access to open and close the safe, is this correct?

If this is correct, I'd love to see a couple of pictures of how the safe was mounted on the drawer.
Exactly, the safe itself has holes drilled in the bottom and sides, i drilled matching holes in the walls and floor of the drawer box and pushed some carriage bolts through the holes. The nuts holding the bolts are inside the safe with plenty of threadlocker to hold them on. You can kind of see one of the nuts in the pictures but I'll take a few more of the inside of the drawer

Finally got mine put together and installed. They slide not as smooth as I was expecting. Maybe I did something wrong but I don’t think so??? I’ll see plenty of guys with them at HIH8 to compare mine to.

Finally got mine put together and installed. They slide not as smooth as I was expecting. Maybe I did something wrong but I don’t think so??? I’ll see plenty of guys with them at HIH8 to compare mine to.
I initially had the same thought but after couple weeks of bumpy roads they "settled in" and now they slide perfectly.

Here is a small project i did on my drawers. Had a small safe/lockbox sitting in the garage for years, took a look the other day and realized it fit perfectly in my drawer. I routed out a hole in the back of the drawer and mounted the safe inside using carriage bolts. Now i have a secret out of sight box to keep valuables if needed. Im hoping the hole doesn't hurt the structural integrity of the drawers but we will see.
Fantastic idea, adding to the 'Customizations' page for sure!
And I doubt you have any drawer integrity issues, looks like you left enough material around the opening.

If anyone ever assembles and the drawers aren't sliding smoothly, flip them over, remove the drawers, loosen the anchor pieces, insert the drawers, shake and wiggle them in and out until they are sliding, then tighten the anchor pieces down. (basically what happened to @GarrettCO by driving) And keep in mind the drawers will slide "deliberately not willfully".

I have carpet in the back that has been destroyed by dogs. I want to remove it all and put the drawers directly on the metal, Is this advised? Any reason to add cheap carpet underneath?

Thanks!
Cman

@Cman You asked a direct question; in my opinion it is not advised.

The more-than-one-line answer is that the flexy steel sheet metal of the body directly contacting the drawer frame will eventually create an audible annoyance whenever the body is flexed, no matter how much you tighten it down. Try it if you like, but a thin interface material on the bottom of the frame may save you the trouble of having to re-do the install.

Last edited:
I have carpet in the back that has been destroyed by dogs. I want to remove it all and put the drawers directly on the metal, Is this advised? Any reason to add cheap carpet underneath?
Cman
I agree with @Ayune but would add road noise to that as well. Not personal experience but have heard that it can be a bit louder and would think the hard drawers above the hard floorpan might lead to a sort of echo box for suspension travel, etc.

Also an FYI, the drawers are designed to sit on the OEM carpet and pad (but not the removable carpet pad). If those are all removed they will sit lower, so plan to space them back up to clear the tailgate, at least in the front. Should be easy enough with some hand-crafted plywood spacers and longer 1/4-20 bolts, nothing exoteric just might take a little tweaking.

Thank you for the guidance. I removed the carpet to give it a deep clean and will reinstall. The drawers are arriving today! Very excited to get them in place. Working on an ARB fridge slider, but I may just buy a unit and save the effort. Thanks again @Ayune @CruiserDave

Just took the plunge and ordered a set. Can't wait to get started; thanks, Dave! I'm considering a couple coats of epoxy on the interior of the drawers, followed by a few coats of UV-proof varnish for good measure. Still conflicted as to going w/ tough carpeting or nice finish on the exterior.. maybe carpeting on top and nice finish on the drawer fronts. This is a GREAT thread.. also going to try the DIY fridge slide I saw here somewhere. Budget/quality build, here we come!

sBlmxQBwTgreOCjVJ4Wn4DZtClfKvZDeXvkzyGddzpT3VbIdoxT9wtNJHYD_UCW01qCwD0ECkF1UDIg35jUpDP7au27B0KKDbhj-n4c1i6pTTcrrn55xQXUyo4XOKLkAUyCnb2WB19KL6yNDR6asRmYExU6OEp7_RV8EVKOIbVqB48BRyK77zmkfbqmpoRCKwpefluMjUsZ1k_WJaHNCim4hTlJlJYvjZtsZHOnAg07nyX2WYUfafyryMv8G3ux3AplNm4FKBpt5SwK70JsVHoD0cb--tvLIw83mqoe7Xyo1mFp39iqY1zCGmLyqIECktDrlWO6iUV7OHr0C6H2rseqBc8PjP2jn2kLlDqk2RsveaS1R8nGxjz5K84GTlc_zVUg0NqJfhXeheEAnDniQf_Bp9EseBdGKBJRiARQKBoxAgek1DxdOgHNLRNHfrR4v0j0XYL77aE-GWlsQ3bYInjxhNdWu04f3g6uvWJQYJ4AUjQH3Tmi7gSuOu1X2B27fDp_KmYHA4vcrDDawTsVitZQehjx-kC-7lD5y_OsQ59NalIKb6ALFpaR6ajrkKEnBwMg3eypDiTYR5xokhVTugBvCG56TeP93o9WCnTfQ=w713-h949-no

Hey Guys,

I just put my drawers in and all I can say is awesome, there is no way I could design this any better and considering all the variables involved, especially my time, this is a smokin deal. I went ahead and stained adn sealed every piece of wood and trim, inside and out, underneath, everything. All I need now is a mat for the top and to figure out what I want to do for tie downs.

Thank you...this is an awesome enhancement and great thread too.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom