Builds Just had to treat myself for Halloween... 65 SWB (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interestingly enough I had 3 bad small vacuum caps that I replaced. Haven’t run it since then but the 2 tests I did on the TPS gave bad results.

These were two of the 3 caps. Not sure what you mean by losing connection at the intake?

50ED10EB-00C1-4E2B-AA37-A6E1821FF41A.jpeg

Thx Nolen. Looks like I’ll be replacing all these vacuum caps. When I went to check a few more they are all falling apart. This one broke right off…

00291127-989F-4A45-9F78-C56467293EEB.jpeg

When I get back home Friday I’ll do a thorough inspection of all the hoses and rubber caps.

Update:

Still not running right. Really having a hard time trying to solve this.

-Replaced TPS
-Replaced all vacuum caps
-Removed intake tube and inspected. No cracks.
-Inspected hoses. Nothing obvious
-Propane gas test, nothing found
-Checked timing
-Replaced fuel filters
-Swapped AFM with spare
-Swapped ECM with spare
-Compression check
-Replaced PCV grommet
-Inspected injector wires
-Inspected O2 sensor wires
-Unplugged cold start injector
-Inspected oil cap
-Inspected tcase vacuum lines

It’s running a little rough but no loss of power or other symptoms. Seems to be almost unnoticeable at idle but is noticeable when going up a hill at 1200-2000 RPM.

A bit frustrating.

Driveline, engine mounting? Trans mount? Anything loose, sounds like it an issue under load, not always an engine running issue per say.

Driveline, engine mounting? Trans mount? Anything loose, sounds like it an issue under load, not always an engine running issue per say.
Brian- I’m going to take a look. Funny enough I had 2 new weird noises. The first was idling in the driveway. Turned out to be the bottle of Modelo on the fender.

The other is a clunk while turning. I’m going under to see if anything you suggested is loose.

Maybe the clunk was the Modelo falling off the fender when you turned 🤷‍♂️.

😆

I was going to say by what mentioned, it can be a bad connection at the spark plug, or cap...does not appear until you have load or when you reach around 45 mph. As if it running on 5 pistons. But I can imagine a bad injector or wiring associated with injector. Seafood was mentioned earlier as well....that stuff really does some wonders. The other thing you can try is reseat your connectors. Swap out the spark plug wire or spark plug....just thinking out loud.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Great info. I did swap in a new #5 plug wire without change. Cleaned up the cap and rotor. Running seafoam now but haven’t driven it much. Still running very poorly. Idle drops significantly with the injector unplugged except #5… no change. Plugging the #6 injector wire on #5 still shows bad #5 injector. #5 wire works fine on #6.

I will run a noid light test next week when I’ve got some time. That should allow me to manipulate the harness leading to the injector while it’s running to look for intermittent wire problems.

I also ordered a new set of injectors so I can swap in a new one if needed without down time.

Almost sounds like a bad injector. You can ohm it. Not sure what the resistance should be. I usually will ohm out one that does work and compare the values. Should be very close. If it's open the injector will not energize. If the injector is some what clogged, sea foam will help it. If the solenoid is still good and function as per design and just clogged, try soaking in sea foam. Hopefully it's not the harness. Do very little on the harness until you can confirm the injector would be my suggestion.

Ohm check was good. So I’m thinking it’s one of 3 things:

1- Clogged
2- Mechanical failure
3- Harness issue

I’m going to rule out a wiring break near the plug with manipulation and noid light test. Then I’ll pull the fuel rail and replace the injector(s).

It won’t be until next week but hopefully that will take care of it.

Appreciate the suggestions guys and happy to hear anymore.

I had my 3FE injectors rebuilt. Tested great. Put it in the rig and two died shortly after. I ended up going with new 12hole Denso injectors off eBay. Have been working great. I just didn’t want to deal with another rebuild on a old unit again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom