(Issues) Steering Intermediate Shaft No. 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Need your expertise for someone who's familiar with the steering column and its parts.

After having bought the LX with hardly any steering, these items were already addressed:

• Leak from rack, replaced rack.
• Flushed power steering with Toyota Dex fluid, twice.
• Replaced PS Pump + Reservoir...replaced fluid again.
• Loose DS inner tie rod, replaced both inner + outer tie rods.

Finally read either on here or other forum that the intermediate shaft #2 (lower) U joints are probably to blame...mine is pretty rusty so I ordered one. In the meanwhile, I crawled under and stuck my arm between the inner tie rod and cv axle and sprayed down the U joints with white lithium grease. While not fully perfect, I'm guessing I'm getting about 90% of what the steering should feel like. Here's the problem. I also grabbed the shaft and wiggled/moved it to check for play. It looks like where it goes into the firewall...or maybe shaft #1(?), there's considerable play. I don't have another LX to check so I'm wondering if anyone has any input on this? Is this normal? If not, what parts am I looking at buying? The diagrams are pretty confusing.

I recorded a video from the top and hope this shows better. Link HERE.

Thanks all!

Same issue but with 2005 LC...will follow back up if I find something definitive...

White lithium grease actually worked really well...too well, even. While I definitely feel the grittiness of the rust in the U-joints, there's almost no more resistance in steering. I've since been lazy to actually carry out the replacement. Thinking of tackling it in the next few days, so I'll share my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom