Island 85 4wd pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am 40 series owner, that bought this truck for a daily driver, lol. About six months into it, ran decent when i got it, definitely runs rich, i can smell fuel in the exhaust. Has:
Webber carb 32/36
Elec fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Factory a/c but the lever in cab for fan control is broken
Ugliest valve cover ever!
New exhaust from manifold back
Soooo much rust.....floor, fenders, hood, roof, bed is shot...

Plan is to rehab mechanicals, brakes first, then motor (carb....original aisin would be preferred). Fix holes in floor of cab, then flatbed in time.

PO removed smog stuff with OG carb, (i have in box), guessing carb was not running well, hence the webber.
Enjoy the pics, if you see any tragic looking errors that need attention immediately, speak up...mahalo from the big island

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Started to stumble when letting out the clutch, going to check fuel system first, then ignition, then clutch. Keep you updated.

Check fuel pressure. It could be running too much fuel pressure for the webber

Make sure that electric fuel pump and regulator are working properly. Shouldn’t be getting more than 8-10 psi. I had a factory AISIN carb and had minimal issues with it. I know people like those Webbers but my local carb rebuild shop said those little Aisins were his favorite carb for what that’s worth. Look down the carb while it’s running (idling) and see if you see any gas leaking past the seals and into your intake that’s your problem. I had that issue after using sea foam (don’t use sea foam). I know how to tune a Aisin but I’m unfamiliar with the Webber. Make sure your mixture screw is set properly. Hope that helps

I rebuilt the carb on my 82. Not really that hard, lots of small parts take lots of pictures. Clean clean clean. Give it a shot for the cost of a rebuild kit.

Thanks, reg is set at 3 psi, that could be inaccurate tho (cheap mechanical dial type reg) Will look into carb with air cleaner removed and peep the fuel delivery, thanks!

I attempted rebuild on my fj40 carb, ended up sending it to marks off road, he did a great job! I will look into rebuilding my 22r, must be tons of info here....

adjusted regulator to 2.5 psi, idled and drove fine. Adjusted idle screw and mixture screw per weber site. Runs well, drove around the hood. Taking her to work tomorrow, see how she does with a few more miles...

Its been a while.....replaced one of the A/C lines from the compressor that was leaking, filled with r34 and got freezing cold A/C now. No more foggy windshield when its raining, which is everyday here. Too bad the cold air leaks out of the holes in the floor boards. The little plastic clip broke on the vent/defrost lever, so it is stuck in defrost, trying to source those clips, behind the dash....they are a pain in the butt to get to with big hands.

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator from the cheap dial one, to a 65 dollar regulator. Added a gauge to set the pressure to 3 psi and the webber runs a thousand times better. Previously would stumble at 58-60 mph, now can get up to 75, but dont really need to go that fast, its a small island. Still smells like fuel in the exhaust, not sure what that means. Planning on getting the vacuum gauge connected and do some diagnostics.

Looking for steel floor pans if anyone knows a manufacturer.....lmk, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom