Introduction/Blown Head Gasket LX450 Recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EPIC Cruisers

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.epiccruisers.com
Hello everyone,

I think I should start by introducing myself and my rig. I purchased my 1997 LX 450 (triple locked w/160K) a few months ago with plans to turn it into an overlanding/camping rig. I'm new to the Land Cruiser world but I'm a huge car guy. Besides the LX I have 2 BMWs, a 1983 528e and a 2007 335xi, along with a Yamaha R3. The old BMW is my baby and the car that taught me how to work on cars. I've restored it mechanically and it was my daily driver up until I bought the LX. I'm an Industrial Designer by schooling but an Engineer by profession so needless to say I enjoy taking things apart and fixing them. Once I get the LX up to par I will definitely attend one of the club meetings and meet everyone personally.

Now to the fun part...When I got the LX I did a lot of maintenance such as change leaking gaskets, flush coolant, rebuild the front axle, etc. After daily driving the LX for about 3000 miles the head gasket blew. I was only 2 miles from my house so I'm glad it happened now and not during a trip. I will be replacing the head gasket myself and am starting to gather parts and information. This leads to my following questions,

Can anyone recommend a machine shop in the Upstate to have my head checked and a valve job done? Also can anyone recommend someone to clean and flow match my injectors?

Thanks in advance, and glad to be part of the club!

Thanks guys. I actually talked with Trollhole around lunchtime and he gave me a rough price on the head work from wherever he takes them. He might ultimately do the head gasket job for me if I decide that's the best route to go. Waiting on my FSM to come in to see if it's something I can accomplish successfully and confidently. His rough estimate for the job is very good so ultimately I might take it to him regardless to make sure it's done correctly the first time.

We use Dover Cylinder Head for our machine work at trollholes. It would also be a good time to replace heater hoses, PHH, heater control valve, vacuum lines, and clean the EGR port in the upper plenum.

What color is your lx450?
I've got the same problem. I'm about to sell mine.

Little update for everyone. After thinking about if for awhile I decided to not do the head gasket myself. I plan on driving my LX to California this summer and don't want to risk any problems. Therefore @Trollhole will be doing the job. I dropped the truck of yesterday and think it's in good hands. They will be doing the head gasket job, replacing all relevant gaskets, all the hoses, water pump, radiator, and power steering hoses. Pretty much everything you should do while the head is off and a little more. It'll look and feel brand new after they're done. I look forward to getting it back! II'l post some pictures here as the job goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom