Integrating new hardwood floor with existing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
So after the dogs had their way with the carpet in our dining room we decided to replace with hardwood. Since we had it in the kitchen and entryway, I needed to make sure it lined up in two entrances. Well... As you can see in the pictures below, not so well. I measured at least twice and laid it out before nailing for a test fit. Now that I'm just a few rows from meeting up in the entry, I can see it's not going to line up. The gap is about 1/4 inch.

First picture shows doorway to kitchen where I started.
Second picture shows doorway to entry where I need to tie in jut under the stairs
Third and Fourth are the gap I ended up with.

Is there any way to fix this?

Kitchen doorway.jpg
Entryway.jpg
Gap 2.jpg
Gap 1.jpg

Fabricate a custom plank from similar grade dimensional oak, the tongue and grove don't have to be perfect (some skip them all together for a filler), might need to plane thickness too. This is done patching in vintage flooring in many cases. No one will see one plank about 1/4' wider (well maybe except other "master carpenters") : )

Good Luck,
Bob in CO

Would it be durable if I ripped two boards and glued them together? I could make the resulting boards the right size. Just not sure if the joint would hold.

I don't think I have the skill to create something from scratch.

@ccasteel , with good glue n proper clamping that joint would be fine
the skill set needed to fab up a new piece is literally the next step in what you are working on. so give it a go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom