Information Re: Importing to the USA and Complete DIY How-To (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. I never had to pay duties on anything. Don't quote me on this but if I recall correctly there is no duty owed on any item that you have owned for more than 6 months. Normally the valuation(s) they are asking for is for insurance purposes.

I did pay duty on the two Land Cruisers that I shipped home but they were shipped separately from my home goods (~2 months earlier and it was too much trouble for the minimal duty to try to make them part of my home goods shipment).
Thanks. That helps.

So, would that mean no duty on the landcruiser I've owned 6 years?

Thanks. That helps.

So, would that mean no duty on the landcruiser I've owned 6 years?
It is my understanding that the duty exemption for returning expats includes vehicles. I'm pretty sure Joel brought at least one back from Dubai duty-free when he repatriated. Maybe @Honger can confirm. I think the vehicles would have to be shipped with your household goods.

It is my understanding that the duty exemption for returning expats includes vehicles. I'm pretty sure Joel brought at least one back from Dubai duty-free when he repatriated. Maybe @Honger can confirm. I think the vehicles would have to be shipped with your household goods.
So, the returning expat bit might trip that up then?

I'm an Aussie, migrating on a green card visa.

I'll ask my broker about if anyway. Have him confirm it.

So, the returning expat bit might trip that up then?

I'm an Aussie, migrating on a green card visa.

I'll ask my broker about if anyway. Have him confirm it.
Yes that's a bit different. Assuming you aren't importing a truck, then the duty will be 2.5% of the "value" (again, if I recall correctly). I never paid any duty outbound on household goods but those shipments were obviously not to the US (Germany, UK, and Saudi Arabia).

I brought in two trucks when I repatriated. They were in one container and were part of my overall household relocation. All items were my own that I had owned for 6 months or more. I filled out a Customs Form 3299 for all of that including the cars.

They did give me a bit of guff on the horde of Toyota parts... was told that "car parts" aren't allowed. I said they were spares for my two vehicles and after that it all went fine. I didn't place the parts in the trucks, I just had them boxed up along with all my other goods. Included extra wheels. Ha!

No duty on my trucks or my household goods... all were free entry based on "CBP Form 3299 - Declaration of Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles"

I would agree. It's been a while since I read that form. My 6 months was clearly incorrect; it's 1 year but all you have to do is say everything was purchased over 1 year ago. They won't ask you to prove it.
I may know a guy who, on repatriating, bought a new piece of wood furniture handmade in India to include in his shipment home... he declared it in the spirit of not intending to sell it, it was a household item.

I also may NOT know a guy who did that...

I may know a guy who, on repatriating, bought a new piece of wood furniture handmade in India to include in his shipment home... he declared it in the spirit of not intending to sell it, it was a household item.

I also may NOT know a guy who did that...
I can empathize. We added quite a bit between the initial survey and the final packing. Happens every time when you realize the window of opportunity is closing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom