Information Re: Importing to the USA and Complete DIY How-To (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My insurance agent is a retired state trooper, and he actually suggested I do that.

Last edited:
I looked it up, and it varies from state to state, but it says it is not recommended to use a plate from another vehicle. Massachusetts won't even allow you to drive it home without first getting temporary registration. Other states will not allow you to drive it across state lines. So on and so on...

Nothing wrong with disagreeing. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying that's the way I've done it. Mine had (and still has) the foreign plates on it.

The insurance aspect would bother me.

I had a total loss claim on a new to me vehicle after a wreck caused by another driver a few weeks after arriving in US recently.
Had prearranged to purchase a vehicle from an acquaintance, picked up two days after arriving.
Insurance claim went smoothly. We had sorted out all my US license, vehicle registration and title, insurance etc without delay, so no red flags.
I'm grateful I had all those ducks in a row.

At home, running with plates from another vehicle would be seen as intentionally deceptive/ nefarious and would raise a massive red flag with highway patrol/ police etc.
Aussie police cars have AI license plate recognition systems, so a plate that didn't match the vehicle description would trigger an alert to the console. Highly likely to be stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom