Imported Diesel and Metro area DEQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, looking at purchasing a troopy with 1HZ motor, and curious if anyone else in the portland metro DEQ zone has had any issues with emission controls on an imported vehicle. I'm in Beaverton, so well within the confines of the 'VIP testing boundary'. Been reviewing the Diesel Opacity scales on these, and uncertain where these types of trucks fit in.

Any information would be helpful. Would prefer to not go the trial and error route of visiting DEQ, failing, then chasing causes with $$ and spanners.

Cheers

Mine was registered as special purpose, so no need for DEQ...

@lorax I've been looking at the DMV site and cant find the stipulation specifying that 'Special Interest' plates get DEQ waived. I see the fees associated, the age/types, but still falling into the expectation that due to years of manufactur (1975+) that i'm looking at (1990+ to be specific) these are just old enough to count but not so old as to dodge DEQ.

Is there something that I'm missing, or mis-interpreting?

I spend more time answering questions about "what the hell kinda 'Yota is that" than actually testing when I go.
As long as it's not misfiring or running really rough they just slam the 'exempt' button after they put the tail pipe sniffer in and you are out of there quick.
Mine passes with flying colors even straight piped.

25 and older are exempt from the specific diesel standards of the OBDII in DEQ testing so unless it's belching smoke you are fine.

@nonstopbike I have had three different diesels that all needed to be tested at DEQ and never a problem. BJ40, BJ44, and now my HJ61.

@nonstopbike I have had three different diesels that all needed to be tested at DEQ and never a problem. BJ40, BJ44, and now my HJ61.
I'm in need of a little help.. I have a 1982 BJ44, 2 batteries, 12v and 24v system.. REALLY in need of English or even Spanish wiring diagrams. Any ideas which books to look for, or where to get the correct diagrams? The BJ44 seems to be left out of every diagram I've seen so far..

I heard about your wiring problems - sounds really messed up. My 44 was all 24v and never had any issues so I don't have any help there, nor do I have any manuals. There are some posts floating around here on mud that have partial diagrams so hopefully they can help. I agree that you should put it all back to stock if possible. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom