How strong is the 2nd gen Tundra 4wd system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
How strong is the Tundra 4wd system, diffs, t case, axels etc?

Edit, 2007 5.7

Last edited:
The drivetrain is very robust. Similar to an 07 f250 in many ways. Both have 10.5" rear differentials, tundra has bigger brakes, they actually use the same transfer case internals, Tundra front wheel bearings are bigger than the f250, but very similar in size and design.

Overall it's closer to a 2000s era 3/4 ton than current half ton, but probably fits somewhere in between. If you can break anything on the powertrain - you're doing something pretty crazy. The weakest link is probably the front CV axle. They break rarely, but it happens. I've never heard of a 10.5" rear axle failure. It's probably happened at some point. But it's very rare.

Strong Like Bull, Smart Like Tractor!

The drivetrain is very robust. Similar to an 07 f250 in many ways. Both have 10.5" rear differentials, tundra has bigger brakes, they actually use the same transfer case internals, Tundra front wheel bearings are bigger than the f250, but very similar in size and design.

Overall it's closer to a 2000s era 3/4 ton than current half ton, but probably fits somewhere in between. If you can break anything on the powertrain - you're doing something pretty crazy. The weakest link is probably the front CV axle. They break rarely, but it happens. I've never heard of a 10.5" rear axle failure. It's probably happened at some point. But it's very rare.
Thanks much appreciated.

For a little more direct info:

This is a tundra 10.5 (right) vs a Land Cruiser 9.5 (left) provided by Jowett- the LC 9.5 is very similar to what you'll find under the heavier duty half ton rear axles. A Ford Raptor for example is a 9.75 rear diff. The smaller F150 rear axle is similar to a Tacoma axle. The reality is that the 10.5 is overkill. The new tundra has significantly more torque to the axle and downsized to a 9.5 for the non-hybrid version. I'm not generally a big fan of bigger parts for the sake of being bigger if there's no material benefit in the real world. But - I think it's fair to say you won't break it. I'm not sure you can.
tundradiff_003.jpg
tundradiff_003.jpg

This is a table with transfer case drive chain and planetary gear sets. I labeled the different size components. Yours has an Aisin made transfer case, in 2014+ Toyota switched to a borg warner that is similar in size. I think the switch had more to do with parts supply and production capacity than any improvement in the actual hardware. You can see the size jump between a domestic half ton, the Domestic HD trucks and Tundra, and the 3rd gen Tundra/Sequoia that got even bigger. The explanation from the engineer is that Toyota has a much higher durability requirement than the domestic manufacturers and they won't allow a transfer case gear train that can't be run in 4 low for its entire service life - that's somewhat common in mining industry applications for the LC70, so that's the design criteria.
1677444062783-png.3259012

Transmission is an AB60F (also sold by Aisin as the TB-68LS) - it's basically a scaled up version of an A750/A760. Those held up very well behind the 4.7 v8. But the AB60 is another size category bigger. Here's some internal parts for a comparison of size. I haven't ever had one apart to really compare in my own hands. But I'd guess it's very comparable to the old A440 series. Probably a size down from the one that comes in the RAM HO trucks. But I really don't know. Only thing I can say for sure is that it has a very good reputation for being super durable.

TD201311_TechnicallySpeaking_06.jpg

Biggest known issues on the truck you have is the air injection pump failures, timing chain tensioner issues - low failure rate, but enough to see a pattern. l have also read of one head gasket going out around 400,000 miles. In general it's a rock solid setup with a few minor issues that pop up. Mostly just change the oil, if you do the trans oil - make sure it's full and is filled the correct way, don't just fill in the plug and assume you're good to go. That's about it.

Strong Like Bull, Smart Like Tractor!

For a little more direct info:

This is a tundra 10.5 (right) vs a Land Cruiser 9.5 (left) provided by Jowett- the LC 9.5 is very similar to what you'll find under the heavier duty half ton rear axles. A Ford Raptor for example is a 9.75 rear diff. The smaller F150 rear axle is similar to a Tacoma axle. The reality is that the 10.5 is overkill. The new tundra has significantly more torque to the axle and downsized to a 9.5 for the non-hybrid version. I'm not generally a big fan of bigger parts for the sake of being bigger if there's no material benefit in the real world. But - I think it's fair to say you won't break it. I'm not sure you can.
tundradiff_003.jpg
tundradiff_003.jpg

This is a table with transfer case drive chain and planetary gear sets. I labeled the different size components. Yours has an Aisin made transfer case, in 2014+ Toyota switched to a borg warner that is similar in size. I think the switch had more to do with parts supply and production capacity than any improvement in the actual hardware. You can see the size jump between a domestic half ton, the Domestic HD trucks and Tundra, and the 3rd gen Tundra/Sequoia that got even bigger. The explanation from the engineer is that Toyota has a much higher durability requirement than the domestic manufacturers and they won't allow a transfer case gear train that can't be run in 4 low for its entire service life - that's somewhat common in mining industry applications for the LC70, so that's the design criteria.
1677444062783-png.3259012

Transmission is an AB60F (also sold by Aisin as the TB-68LS) - it's basically a scaled up version of an A750/A760. Those held up very well behind the 4.7 v8. But the AB60 is another size category bigger. Here's some internal parts for a comparison of size. I haven't ever had one apart to really compare in my own hands. But I'd guess it's very comparable to the old A440 series. Probably a size down from the one that comes in the RAM HO trucks. But I really don't know. Only thing I can say for sure is that it has a very good reputation for being super durable.

TD201311_TechnicallySpeaking_06.jpg

Biggest known issues on the truck you have is the air injection pump failures, timing chain tensioner issues - low failure rate, but enough to see a pattern. l have also read of one head gasket going out around 400,000 miles. In general it's a rock solid setup with a few minor issues that pop up. Mostly just change the oil, if you do the trans oil - make sure it's full and is filled the correct way, don't just fill in the plug and assume you're good to go. That's about it.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share this valuable information.
I have learned a lot from your reply. Very positive information.
Hopefully I (shop) will be doing some work to my tundra. 5.29s 35s and a rear locker. Even though my tundra has 160000 miles it's been very well maintained, so given the expected life, I believe the " upgrades " are justified.

🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom