Hello & New Carb For FZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that gives a whole new meaning to "yard art" :rofl: . Good looking rig. Sorry if mentioned already but how did you acquire it and for how long?

Surely, one can move from a carb to a modern injection of some sort, no? I suppose just swap in a 1FZ-FE is one option but I'd rather have a 1HD-T in it, if I had a large wallet.
I got it through a shop in Birmingham called Cahaba Cruisers. He brings Cruisers up from Colombia and occasionally Venezuela. I got this one for a good price as it's fairly rough but serviceable. It comes at a time when I have the time, patience and budget to bring it up to dependable condition. I had an FJ62 15 years ago when we first moved to NM and loved the simplicity of it. We sold that one when gas went crazy in 2007/8, were living outside of town, had an infant and not much extra budget for a gas guzzler. (I sold it for $3000, which was what I paid for it a few years prior. If only I could have hung on to it, right?)
Fitting fuel injection to this 70-series could come a few different ways: replacing the head/intake/harness and a bunch of other bits, fitting a Holley Sniper kit or a full-on engine swap. I didn't really consider any of those as I'm not averse to dealing with a carb and its associated learning curve. Same as the 62, I dig the simplicity of this and am up for working with and learning how to manage a carbureted truck.

I'll definitely come to meetups as soon as this thing is up and running and my schedule permits. I am looking forward to meeting the group!

Alright, HDC braintrust, installation of this new carb and its various bits is imminent. I am tremendously appreciative of your help so far. The last thing I need to figure out is wiring.
The carb wiring as it arrived on this truck was as follows: the electric choke and the solenoid next to the choke were spliced together into a Y and then went down to the harness. I don't know if they were wired into the correct spot. The other solenoid (with the hose coming off of it) wasn't wired at all. @Onur helped me find the connector that comes off the harness and plugs into the carb but properly wiring it into the harness is unclear.

I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this truck and electrics are the thing that I'm least versed in.

What I am curious to know is this: do the three things on this carb that require power (choke, 2 solenoids) simply need current, or do they have their own specific wire in the harness which has some sort of switch or sensor upstream? I guess this is more a logic thing than something specific to this model/part etc.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom