Have a Picture of the Rear Door Peg / Lock ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have pictures of this part? Specter calls this part a "Peg" and lists it from 1958-1974. You can see it (part #8) in the picture at: Page 133 Land Cruiser Rear Swing Out Door 1958-1974 40 Series

$51 for a used unit (not in stock). Ouch.

I'm looking to recreate this part since finding one seems to be a nonstarter, so any pictures and maybe some measurements would be great!

If anyone has solutions for something to replace this lock I would love to see what you have come up with. Someone put a cheesy slide-bolt latch on mine at some point (functions like the peg) but it never worked well because the pin was to small for the hole, and well it was a cheap unit. I'm considering using a toggle pull clamp mounted to the floor inside, but since that would not be flush with the floor it will make sliding things in/out of the back (or little kids trying to climb in) less convenient.

Last edited:
I recreated one a few months back. Mark at Marks off road makes a repop pin.

Dyno

No, I know, no help.....but "cheesy"...oh yeah!
rear door.JPG

Mine was lost long before I started working on my 40. I just went to the hardware store and picked up a sliding lock of the appropriate size. I bent the tab back on the retaining mechanism, slid the pin in, and bent the tab back. Works like a charm for $3. If you are going full resto, maybe you want to spend $50 at $OR for the piece, but this works for me. If you get the right size peg, it won't rattle. Well, at least it won't rattle any more than every other rattling piece inside a 40.

:cheers:

Wow these are great. Thanks!
I'm not restoring, but I have no problem making small pieces like this for fun :)

Reactions: LCQ
image.jpg
You can get these at local hardware store

From my 71. The floor strike plate seems to be the piece I see missing most often. Only one barn door has a pin on my 71. The pin is spring loaded.

IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6006.JPG
IMG_6008.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG

Reactions: LCQ
View attachment 1423153 You can get these at local hardware store

I prefer to avoid the hardware store look when I can, but that's a viable option. Thanks!

From my 71. The floor strike plate seems to be the piece I see missing most often. Only one barn door has a pin on my 71. The pin is spring loaded.

Thanks! I do have that part, and my 12/72 only had the passenger side door too. I wonder when they switched to having one pin per door. I might actually make a pair (mirrored) and add one to the driver door.

I've been hoping to find an OEM barn door inside latch also. A re-pop would be fine for my level of restoration.

It's interesting, my doors have zero rot but the latch has been destroyed. I've seen many barn doors rusted-to-heck but the latch still appears good.

1/2" OD DOM tubing, 1/8" plate, Pin from Mark at Marks off road, Allan head bolt for handle and a small spring from the "Dorman" drawers at the parts store. Drilled then ground out slot and notches for handle.

Dyno
Latch1.jpg

Latch2.jpg

1/2" OD DOM tubing, 1/8" plate, Pin from Mark at Marks off road, Allan head bolt for handle and a small spring from the "Dorman" drawers at the parts store. Drilled then ground out slot and notches for handle.

Excellent! Well done! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom