1964 puzzle from an old Friend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKC

Threads
IMG_0375.JPG

An old friend passed away last year and his daughter gave me his '64 he had been building on for a number of years. It's been sitting in the Nevada desert for awhile. I don't have anyone to give me details on what's been done, though since I've been following and enjoying this site since I decided to go get it, I recognise some things...but It's mostly a puzzle me.
Seems it's an SBC, with later model top and doors, and it's got a disc brake front axle.
IMG_0267.JPG
Seems like a three speed tranny, but the transfer case shifter I'm unsure how it's supposed to work.
IMG_0470.JPG

The fuel line ran from the bottom bung thru the floor to an electric fuel pump on the firewall to the carb. There was a line coming out the side which was blocked off. I've searched a bunch but can't figure out which is the correct fuel outlet to engine. It was clogged with rust anyway so I'm cleaning it this weekend. I've decided to go with a mechanical fuel pump.
IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

BTW, The engine is really set back against the fire wall, there's even cut a hole for the HEI.

View attachment 1251179
An old friend passed away last year and his daughter gave me his '64 he had been building on for a number of years. It's been sitting in the Nevada desert for awhile. I don't have anyone to give me details on what's been done, though since I've been following and enjoying this site since I decided to go get it, I recognise some things...but It's mostly a puzzle me.
Seems it's an SBC, with later model top and doors, and it's got a disc brake front axle.
View attachment 1251180 Seems like a three speed tranny, but the transfer case shifter I'm unsure how it's supposed to work.
View attachment 1251181
The fuel line ran from the bottom bung thru the floor to an electric fuel pump on the firewall to the carb. There was a line coming out the side which was blocked off. I've searched a bunch but can't figure out which is the correct fuel outlet to engine. It was clogged with rust anyway so I'm cleaning it this weekend. I've decided to go with a mechanical fuel pump.
View attachment 1251278
View attachment 1251281
BTW, The engine is really set back against the fire wall, there's even cut a hole for the HEI.
Looks like the body is in good shape from what I can see. It's nice it has been converted to front disc brakes. Check the fuel tank for rust. I believe a vendor sells plastic ones if u want. I would check compression first see if the motor is good and see if it will run. Once u know it runs I would pull the motor, put new mounts in that are 5 inches or so more forward, patch the firewall hole and paint the engine compartment, put a 4 or 5 speed Trans in or an automatic, install some rear disc brakes, fix or replace the Trans tunnel, and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NKC
The old one had no fuel return and even if it did how could that pipe so low in the tank be its inlet? More gas would come out than could get in.

The side pipe is the fuel feed and the hole at bottom is a drain. You're right, all the gas can't get to the engine, and neither can the sediment which is a good trade.

The old one had no fuel return and even if it did how could that pipe so low in the tank be its inlet? More gas would come out than could get in.

The side pipe is the fuel feed and the hole at bottom is a drain. You're right, all the gas can't get to the engine, and neither can the sediment which is a good trade.

So it was plumbed wrong then?

So it was plumbed wrong then?

Yeah. I'm sure it's not the first - when you look at the tank bottom through the sender hole that depression in the tank looks pretty deep so it'd be natural to want to get it all out. Truth is though that about three inches in a coffee can is about all it holds.

I'm working on getting my '65 up and around right now and as it happens I just pumped the tank 'dry' using the truck's fuel pump. When done, no more gas, I took the drain plug out and got that three inches into a new type plastic two pound coffee container. There was a pretty good amount of small rusty debri in the bottom and that tank was brand new from CruiserDan a little over six years ago.

NKC, it's true that the engine is sitting too far back, towards firewall. That situation normally causes over-heating, no matter what you do with radiator and/or fan choice. Problem is no air gets behind the engine to prop-wash the heat away, heat dissipates out the back of the heads/engine, hits the firewall, then bounces right back into the motor. SBC engines like a lot of air space all around them. If you would like, I can send you via snail mail a freebie Downey V8 installation instruction manual, which shows ideal location. Further, you will need to wack off the old motor mounts that are welded to the frame. I have new frame brackets at a decent price, so you do not need to buy a whole new set that includes block brackets and rubber cushions- - -use the block brackets and rubber cushions you already have.

WhiteStripe suggested possibly a newer stick tranny or automatic. If you ever considered going that route, I just picked up a TH350 Automatic to 3 Speed Transfer-case adapter at the Bakersfield Landcruiser swap meet. And if you did go Automatic, I would want first dibs on your Downey 3 speed floor shifter (it's trading bait).

I'd fill the fuel tank up and see if it has any pinhole leaks. If good, clean it out and get some tank sealer. I cleaned my tank with Evaporust and am happy with the POR15 tank sealer I used. Blow out or replace the fuel lines. I imagine the carb could use a cleaning. Edelbrocks are pretty simple to work on. Youtube is a good place to find how-to videos. Take pictures of the linkages and put the small parts in ziplocks as you disassemble. Use a sharpie to label the bags. Berryman's carb dip works great for removing grime. Check all the fluids and fire that baby up! I would think at least driving it around the block as is would be a good memorial to your friend.

View attachment 1251179
View attachment 1251180 Seems like a three speed tranny, but the transfer case shifter I'm unsure how it's supposed to work.
View attachment 1251181
View attachment 1251278
View attachment 1251281
The fuel tank feed to the carb is on the side--(the one that you show blocked off) The bottom connectiion is the tank drain
Do not put any other than OEM pump in this thing--the newer aftermarket ones cannot be rebuilt

I'd fill the fuel tank up and see if it has any pinhole leaks. If good, clean it out and get some tank sealer. I cleaned my tank with Evaporust and am happy with the POR15 tank sealer I used. Blow out or replace the fuel lines. I imagine the carb could use a cleaning. Edelbrocks are pretty simple to work on. Youtube is a good place to find how-to videos. Take pictures of the linkages and put the small parts in ziplocks as you disassemble. Use a sharpie to label the bags. Berryman's carb dip works great for removing grime. Check all the fluids and fire that baby up! I would think at least driving it around the block as is would be a good memorial to your friend.

I'm soaking it in white vinegar for now, found a couple leaks along seams, I'm thinking J-B Weld.

The fuel tank feed to the carb is on the side--(the one that you show blocked off) The bottom connectiion is the tank drain
Do not put any other than OEM pump in this thing--the newer aftermarket ones cannot be rebuilt

Did you catch that it's a SBC under the hood?

NKC, FWIW when I see that someone has taken the time to replumb like that, it's because the pickup for the tank is no longer working properly. You should start thinking about a replacement tank.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Did you catch that it's a SBC under the hood?

NKC, FWIW when I see that someone has taken the time to replumb like that, it's because the pickup for the tank is no longer working properly. You should start thinking about a replacement tank.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net
Thanks, started out thinking about a new tank until I researched the prices for this model. A guy could by a TH350 for that. Still, though I may have to get one later, I'm really in the early stages of getting into this vehicle so I think I'll try to get it up and running first.
But I hadn't thought of your point! It may not work and they did a workaround. I did take it to a car wash and blasted into every orifice and they were all open, so after I get done with vinegar soak, I'll see if I can get a mirror in there and see if I can see if the pickup is not rotted away or something. Thanks!

I know its a big world out there, but your friend who passed didn't happen to be named Rod Wiggens?

Washed out the tank and put white vinegar in it for a couple days, sloshed it around, did a great job where it sat the longest but still some rust in there. Filled with water and baking soda, then dried it with the old high tech leafblower/bungee cord gambit.
tank drier.jpg

JB Welded a couple places, and a nice big fuel filter, that should get me started.
Looks like this engine was a TBI unit from a pickup converted to carburetor. A mechanic friend told me to look under the block off plate where a mechanical pump would attach and see if the hole for a push rod was there. If so I could hang a manual on it.
fuel pump opening.JPG

I guess the TBI cams still had the fuel pump lobe still on it.

Your leaf blower idea is genious. No doubt your old friend would approve of your resourcefulness. Keep it up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has subscribed to this build thread. We look forward to watching you accomplish your mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom