GX470 Rear a/c block off delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, signed up here to see if anyone has deleted or blocked off the rear a/c on a gx470. I'm not finding anything searching online.

Has nobody done this, curious where they cut lines and what size they are. If no replies, I'll figure it out and post my findings on here to help the next guy.

I thought about doing it but it doesn't seem worth the effort. Rear AC is nice for rear passengers too, the front is definitely insufficient.

I have a slow leak and have to re charge it once a year. Shop cant find the leak and I'm assuming it's in the rear.

That’s a lot of work based on an assumption. I’d find a better shop.

Leak could be at any number of places. They should be able to pinpoint using a black light if you are getting it recharged with UV-dyed R134A.

Was going to suggest dye and attempting to find the leak yourself.

Did they check the drain underneath? My system was leaking and after adding dye, my whole passenger side frame rail was glowing green which pointed to the AC Evap core.

You beat me to it CGR: I was just going to say evaporator core...

...I do believe that I'm in the same boat w/ my '07. ...that would be the front
evaporator core, and I swear I can smell compressor oil through the front vents when it first fires up.

Last edited:
Ya front Evap cores were common on 4runners and Tacoma’s of this era. A shop that has a good scope can even stick the camera down the ac vents and snake down to the evap and sometimes see the leak.

Also there are some inexpensive Bluetooth scopes available now a days. Dye works too but takes a bit with slow leaks sometimes.

We run our rear ac almost constantly here in Texas for the kiddo

I would call the evaporator core almost common on 470s. I did mine myself. It was a process, but overall not terrible.

There are two evaporator coils in a GX. To clarify, are you talking about the front or the rear?

The front, at least in my case and what I've seen on here and FB groups.

Our 470 is a 2005. We've had to charge it every summer the last few years, they said it holds vacuum, they charge it, add dye. It will blow cold all summer and seems to slowly leak over winter. By time it gets hot again, they cant see dye where it leaked. Rear air leaks are common on the LX470, figured same with GX

Found my leak today. It is behind rear passenger tire. It was dripping the green dye down the mud flap. Not sure if just an O ring that connects up there, or line is leaking? May do the rear ac delete, after I pull off and check the connection. Anyone else fix a leak here?

IMG_9084.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have the dye coming out with the condensation, that rear condenser is probably toasted.

Is there any update to this, I have the same issue where I have ac leak at the rear evaporator core. Not sure if I can just replace the orings or if I should delete the rear ac. Did you perform the job? Wes there sufficient AC during the summer with the front only? What delete kit did you get?

I blocked the rear ac, no issues for back seats in summer, but live in NY so not too hot. My mechanic ordered the parts, those were the least expensive part, about $20 for each line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom