Group "Chinese parts" order. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its never an error, its technical research and development

So question since you clearly have the same one I do: based on your vast experience with opening it partially just one time.. if I mount this on the side of the trailer instead of on top with the L brackets - do you think that will work when I open it?

Or does it need the space behind the rail to be open for some weird reason?

The main concern is the back corner clearing the trailer as it swings around to 270 degrees (ish)

Would hate to mount it and have to remount it.

So question since you clearly have the same one I do: based on your vast experience with opening it partially just one time.. if I mount this on the side of the trailer instead of on top with the L brackets - do you think that will work when I open it?

Or does it need the space behind the rail to be open for some weird reason?

The main concern is the back corner clearing the trailer as it swings around to 270 degrees (ish)

Would hate to mount it and have to remount it.
You could flush mount it. The hinge articulates around the end of the rail and should go around the corner.
Check out this demo of a very similar design where a guy sets it up solo without breaking his hinge.

Hoping to open it up again tomorrow with the poles.
I would avoid letting it hang like that. The aluminum that supports the hinge is not too beefy and the resin that the pole hinge things are made out of are probably not Ginsu quality.

I would avoid letting it hang like that. The aluminum that supports the hinge is not too beefy and the resin that the pole hinge things are made out of are probably not Ginsu quality.
Yeah that crossed my mind. Was not sure what I was getting into at that time. Realistically it looks like you need 2 people to set it up.

You could flush mount it. The hinge articulates around the end of the rail and should go around the corner.
Check out this demo of a very similar design where a guy sets it up solo without breaking his hinge.

When I opened mine up an undo the velcro it basically dumped out unlike his. I wish we could put the poles in with it as well.

Yeah that crossed my mind. Was not sure what I was getting into at that time. Realistically it looks like you need 2 people to set it up.

When I opened mine up an undo the velcro it basically dumped out unlike his. I wish we could put the poles in with it as well.
I was very worried about it the first time I opened mine up and went real slow. I had my poles half extended so that as I walked around I could put them in and have them somewhat supported and then I just kept tension by holding the awning fabric until I got all the way around.

The Drifta has that strap to hold tension on the whole thing at the end, so I keep a strap in the bag so I can do the same. I attach it to my roof rack first, then deploy the awning and snatch and tension it at the end. It is a super nice feature that the Drifta can store the poles the way it does. Good luck!

Mo betta! Had my wife help me put it up. I have four kids so will have some help. Actually was able to put the poles up top as well.

20170323_101318.jpg

20170323_100206.jpg

20170323_083812.jpg

I don't wheel that much anymore but point taken.

You can! I stuffed everything into the bag and it fit fine.

I don't wheel that much anymore but point taken.
Just use stainless and cut them off with a grinder. BTW, all of my fasteners are stainless with nylocks and flat washers.

My clone foxwing is for sale if anyone wants it. 40 less than the original price and it's still somewhat in the box. Never opened.
I liked this post but now that I think about it, why are getting rid of it?

Just use stainless and cut them off with a grinder. BTW, all of my fasteners are stainless with nylocks and flat washers.
Nobody likes a short screw!

Did use the nuts with the nylon inside. Will take the grinder to it later.

Pretty sure yours is khaki. You traded with Gervaise...

We going to do this again? May want a smaller cooler.

I got my reengineered awning mounted up this weekend for the upcoming summer months. The new hinge is much beefier than the old. I didn't let the poles hang but it felt sturdy and I deployed the awning all by myself. I had to get the wife to help me roll it up and put it back in the cover. Another velcro strap at the front of the bag would make things much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom