Group "Chinese parts" order. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the idea of a spring clip with a button.
1. drill 4 holes in the bottom pole
2. drill a hole in the top pole and install the spring clip
It's simple and will have 4 different heights to chose from. It is also guaranteed to stay up unless the spring clip breaks. I've had other cam locks fail before.

Didn't someone buy a RTT? if so how was it?

ya that's me. still in the box. I 've been recovering from a back thing and haven't been able to do it. Hopefully soon though.
I could install it on my truck and test it for you?

Finally got around to unboxing the RTT. Everything in pretty good shape. No tears on fabric or anything, although I found quite a few aluminum shavings interspersed throughout. Looks to be similar construction to a Ruff Stuff brand. Only show stopper is I can't find the bracket to mount the ladder to the RTT. I'm working on getting some, but nobody appears to sell just those parts. Also, if somebody has the awning to match this, I'll trade them for a khaki, lol. The pic originally sent by the manufacturer showed a mostly khaki tent. No biggie. I'm function over form. More to come.

IMG_20170127_154024.jpg

IMG_20170127_152655.jpg

IMG_20170127_152112.jpg

IMG_20170127_145843.jpg

IMG_20170127_151411.jpg

Keep us updated when u get it mounted. Interested to see the interior.

For reference, smittybilt ladder extension has exact same construction, but is wider. I think I can fix it.

14861296274231886658131.jpg

14861296648311753005701.jpg

Here is a folder of pics I have with some comments on the pics.

https://goo.gl/photos/QhC8H6CCkh3FwaFS8

In summary:
I have deployed the tent a few times and have finally figured it out I think. It is nearly identical to a [famous brand] Autana XL or what they used to call a Gran Sabana. If you look at [their] 2012ish YouTube videos you will see them with the sliding instead of telescoping ladder. I used their setup videos since there were no instructions and it works exactly the same. There are some slight quality differences in alignment of how stuff was assembled (see pics), this one uses generic instead of YKK zippers, no SKY option on this one, but the tent is solid and everything works great. Most of the shortcomings are purely cosmetic. Had it up in rain and fairly high winds and it did great. For me it is a good value with the few issues and having the right expectation of what I was getting for the price. I am happy with it though (and so is the wife believe it or not). As far as price, I think I still came out ahead of ordering from a domestic vendor. it may lack some features, but it is entirely functional I believe it will be plenty durable. The discussion I'm seeing more and more relates to "why bother with a RTT, ground tent/sleeping on picnic tables is just fine and way<$$" I could see it both ways, but I think for my needs with the family this will work great.

Phase 2 is:

images

+
images

The discussion I'm seeing more and more relates to "why bother with a RTT, ground tent/sleeping on picnic tables is just fine and way<$$" I could see it both ways, but I think for my needs with the family this will work great.
Agree, everyone's needs are different, so there isn't a one size fits all. I've found a quick pop-up ground tent that is a good compromise for my needs. Here's a nice article about Roof Top Tent Camping (RTT) Vs Ground Camping that I believe you'll like.

Agree, everyone's needs are different, so there isn't a one size fits all. I've found a quick pop-up ground tent that is a good compromise for my needs. Here's a nice article about Roof Top Tent Camping (RTT) Vs Ground Camping that I believe you'll like.
that's a good one, and highlights my situation well. Mostly I am seeing the counterpoint these days (from people that don't have or see the value in RTT). Gotta do what works for you!

Well got the foxwing on the truck this morning. One person can do it but man its a job. Didn't realize how much it was sticking off the side of the truck though. I don't wheel very much anymore so will drive it around before deciding if it needs to be moved.

20170322_134407.jpg

20170322_133300.jpg

20170322_132554.jpg

20170322_132544.jpg

Hoping to open it up again tomorrow with the poles.

Hoping to open it up again tomorrow with the poles.

What do you have laying across your round bars that the foxwing is bolted to? I just used some u bolts around the bars and bolted into the brackets it looks a little wonky but it has been solid so far. Yours looks stronger and better though.

Unistrut. .. A ten foot piece is $20. Cut it in half and ran a couple inches apart to line up with the bracket holes. I plan on running Unistrut as a base for a flat roof rack.

Looks identical to the one that just arrived at my house this morning.
Any particular reason why you mounted it so far away from the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom