Builds Greetings from Seattle...Fixing up "Blue Guy" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New AC components on there way thanks to @Coolstream in AZ. Getting a 14x26 parallel flow condenser to compliment the r134a. New compressor as well with new 134a compatible oil and a drier. I am not looking forward to tearing into the dash to tackle the HVAC!

35126356976_cc74957be4_c.jpg

Chase - do you know if all those parts are interchangeable with 60 components? I haven't swapped mine to R-134 and will need to at some point.

I think the compressor is different for your 60 but you could send a picture of the top of it to them and they can tell. There is a one-piece and two-piece top plate depending on the condenser. I think the two plate was later?
The condenser is a universal one so you can adapt it no problem. We can mimic the way I mount it when you put it on yours. :)

I think the compressor is different for your 60 but you could send a picture of the top of it to them and they can tell. There is a one-piece and two-piece top plate depending on the condenser. I think the two plate was later?
The condenser is a universal one so you can adapt it no problem. We can mimic the way I mount it when you put it on yours. :)

I looked at Coolstreams web site, part numbers look different. You gonna get that done by the 4th camp out?

A man can dream! It will be a Herculean effort to make that deadline. I'm holding out hope.

I don't know the history of this cruiser before my wife bought it so any little indications of its previous life intrigue me.

Found this number written on the back of the valve cover. Any ideas as to its origin or anyone else ever found a number written on the back of their valve cover?
35168483375_ea19ef7da3_c.jpg

Painted and all buttoned up with all new parts courtesy of @beno
35057233742_e97e996fcd_c.jpg

Buried under tubes
34836067290_03afa9cd8a_c.jpg

Also figured out I need a new oil cap! No gasket and a huge crack! I made a cork gasket to work in the mean time.
35222759995_cda6ae1211_c.jpg

All the 3FEs I've taken apart have had those numbers on there. Both of mine were in the 400 range.

Had a little bit of time yesterday to get started on the AC refurbishment. Taking out the evap box was definitely a fine game tolerance but it made it out. Scared about trying to put it back in. All in all the system definitely needs new foam seals (ordered).
35129208152_5e23ab2801_c.jpg

Opening it up revealed what I was expecting: years of dust, dog hair and leaves collecting:
35129207832_2a51e3ef9e_c.jpg

35129215542_6b1a4b4dc4_c.jpg

The housing will get washed, foam patched and there is one small hole in the case that looks like someone hit it. That will get internally sealed. New evaporator, and switches will be installed as well.

While the AC housing is out I am going to throw in this little gem: a NOS complete blower housing. The one in the cruiser needs to get refurbished. Need to replace the original foam seal at the top but the flap foam is in surprisingly good condition.
35129212502_9fa7672747_c.jpg

35129212612_3a568f3911_c.jpg

Hopefully get this all back in over the next couple days.

Does anyone know if you can take out the heater core box without removing the AC box? I don't want to have to empty the AC system and remove it again when I go after the heater box and ducts later. Just wondering if I should just do it now or if I can wait.

Does anyone know if you can take out the heater core box without removing the AC box? I don't want to have to empty the AC system and remove it again when I go after the heater box and ducts later. Just wondering if I should just do it now or if I can wait.

I did it all at once, with the Dash pad off. Getting the heater core out is a struggle. I don't imagine it could be done with out pulling the dashpad. I say knock it out all at once and be done with it.

Ah nuts, I was fearing that was going to be the answer! :p
I guess I can still drive it around without the HVAC hooked up. The torn apart dash will blend in well with the torn apart rear interior. :hillbilly::steer:

Gorgeous work and nice rig!

Been busy trying to finish it up whenever I get a free moment. Completed refurbishing the heating and cooling system. Front heater core was cleaned and pressure checked. The little o-rings were eliminated and the pipes were brazed to eliminate any future failure. All new foam throughout (Heater and AC system re-foam. What types work and where ) and all the AC components are new. All heater and cooling hoses were replaced, new water pump, clutch (fj80), thermostat, gaskets, grommets, bolts, belts, idler bearings, stainless steel hose clamps from @Racer65 , and stainless steel thermostat housing bolts from @davework . Cleaned up the crappy old radio wiring (hopefully I didn't screw it up). Replaced the fuel gauge and swapped in LED lights throughout the dash cluster. New adjustable vents from @beno as well as many other parts I had been hoarding for this project.
Vent:
35259836592_6f2a1f04af_c.jpg

Crusty old pulley:
35471730136_900804d55b_c.jpg

Cleaned a lot of old grease off:
35126598064_4702a41894_c.jpg

Ordered a new set up sliders from @reevesci . Very excited about those!

Want to give props to @Coolerman for helping me out big time. One of the wires on a temp sensor was brittle and snapped right at the connector:
34983221014_7aab93ee67_c.jpg

I PM'd @Coolerman and he was willing to help and sent me the parts to repair the connector! :cheers:Great guy and he has more of these terminals if any other FJ62 owners need them:
35928183832_a8f9a11b58_c.jpg

Back in business!
35964897281_67dd843499_c.jpg

Hoping to have this all back up and running this week. Received the last few bolts I needed to complete it all
35516131943_f7c735eecb_c.jpg

Cheers everyone, more to come later!
36188333961_699a5c866b_c.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3925.PNG

Have you fired up that AC yet? I ask because you'll want it working over the next few days...

I want to know what the converted set-up nets you at vent temps. After the hot days on the WABDR I think it's something to think about before next summer for me.

Nice work on the heating/cooling systems Now drive the damn thing! (Fully expect you to bring to the Crusierheads meeting next week)

View attachment 1508790

Have you fired up that AC yet? I ask because you'll want it working over the next few days...

I want to know what the converted set-up nets you at vent temps. After the hot days on the WABDR I think it's something to think about before next summer for me.

Nice work on the heating/cooling systems Now drive the damn thing! (Fully expect you to bring to the Crusierheads meeting next week)
I need to get it running this week. I'm determined! Haha. I still need to get new AC lines made. Found a place in Ballard that said they could make them so I'm going to head over there next week and have it done.
I'm curious too to see what temps I get. Doubt they will be r12 good but we will see. @reevesci keeps posting crazy low numbers (like in the 30s!). I'll see if I can beat that. :rofl:

I need to get it running this week. I'm determined! Haha. I still need to get new AC lines made. Found a place in Ballard that said they could make them so I'm going to head over there next week and have it done.
I'm curious too to see what temps I get. Doubt they will be r12 good but we will see. @reevesci keeps posting crazy low numbers (like in the 30s!). I'll see if I can beat that. :rofl:

Mine is still R12 or Freeze 12, if you will. I never could get my last 134 system below 44F. So I was determined to keep the R12 system in Poppy.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom