Builds Greetings from Seattle...Fixing up "Blue Guy" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Every time I take something off the cruiser I try and put it back in better condition. This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes I probably should just not bother. This usually involves painting parts I will probably not see, or anyone will see, for a long time, and replacing rusty bolts with new OEM ones when I can find them. Some examples:
Epoxy and stainless steel rod reinforcement to strengthen the HVAC control trim:
36280547001_5a1d5b8230_c.jpg

Painting and replacing the rubber isolator cushion and bolts for the AC line holder under the battery tray:
36620031845_185b4dfb7d_c.jpg

Painting the rear bench seat hardware and replacing the old strap on the release mechanism:
36620018555_fced30290d_c.jpg

36450949162_b1d6fff237_c.jpg

Sure is nice to have this back up and running. Current to do list is fill the AC system, reinstall the rear bench seat and check the front end alignment. The cruiser seems to be idling high (around 800rpm) so I replaced all the vacuum lines with new silicone ones and will be checking the idle air solenoid and the TPS soon.
36223667090_d73acb1edc_c.jpg

Found some protective hose wrap that matches the OEM style. A tad OCD sometimes. :rolleyes:
36613285766_d4c84c2e9c_c.jpg

Just charged the AC with @Kleatus' tools. Put in 565 grams of pure 134a. Idling at 1500 rpm in the 90 degree garage I was getting a vent temp of sub 30 degrees. Several readings were 24-22. This was with a laser temp gun. Im going to drive it around later and verify again or try another thermometer. PSI readings were about 25psi low side and 225 high side
I blew the heater motor breaker at one point which was weird. I noticed the breaker looks damaged so I guess I better find a new one.

The more I read about vent temps with AC, the more I am suspecting either A: those vent temps are not actually that cold, or B: if they are that cold that is not a good thing. Any opinions? I added the same amount of 134a as the original conversion sticker says. It seems like it the vents are too cold, that could mean the evap can freeze up and this is caused by low refrigerant. However, based on the amount that I added, I shouldn't be that low. I'll test again tomorrow, ran out of time today.

Pics of the damaged breaker. Still not sure how anyone could have done this to it:
36351181760_8802aa1ccc_c.jpg

35938235783_e53ba93e3b_c.jpg

Hopefully this solves the tripping issue. i am also going to measure how many amps the motor is pulling to make sure its ok.

This beauty went on recently. Courtesy of @beno before they were NLA. Almost too nice to use, but its a land cruiser after all. Meant to be used, not looked at. :)
36276050030_72db73ef4c_c.jpg

36276049490_4aae94f067_c.jpg

Took the cruiser to work today. 50ish miles of freeway and surface streets. Was waiting for it to explode or fall apart at any moment but thankfully it didn't come to that. It was a blast to drive. A few issues came up, engine codes 25 and 51, so I'll have to address those. The kick-down cable is also an issue but will be dealt with shortly.
36767411525_e90ba09f49_c.jpg

When you convert an r12 vehicle to r134 it should take 80 percent of the recommended r12 charge. But those numbers aren't too bad and ultimately pressures are better than a "recommended" charge. At idle the high side should be closer to 175-200 and low side more like 35. If it's cooling that good I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Last edited:
This beauty went on recently. Courtesy of @beno before they were NLA. Almost too nice to use, but its a land cruiser after all. Meant to be used, not looked at. :)
36276050030_72db73ef4c_c.jpg

36276049490_4aae94f067_c.jpg

Chase failed to mention that on last Friday night I called him at 8pm that I was having trouble with my lights/turn signal indicator and he offered his current one up since he had one in his parts stash. I was supposed to leave that night on a trip for OR for the eclipse. Offered up his used part and I came down to help pull the steering wheel.

Big ups for helping me out and making the trip happen.

When you conver an r12 vehicle to r134 it should take 80 percent of the recommended r12 charge. But those numbers aren't too bad and ultimately pressures are better than a "recommended" charge. At idle the high side should be closer to 175-200 and low side more like 35. If it's cooling that good I probably wouldn't mess with it.
I'm going to check the pressures again. I still need to get another thermometer to confirm the temps. The same laser measured low 20s again today. Don't want the evap to freeze up even though it feels good. could a bad pressure switch cause this?

Looking good! Dave could have used those sliders on Sunday!.. and after today he may be contacting you for an entire exo-cage.

Rear bumper talks have begun.

Speaking of...Chase now that this thing runs you need to get some battle scars, we might be too embarrassed to invite you to the Western Washington Wagon Wayfare with it looking so much better than our junk :hillbilly:.

Speaking of...Chase now that this thing runs you need to get some battle scars, we might be too embarrassed to invite you to the Western Washington Wagon Wayfare with it looking so much better than our junk :hillbilly:.
Bahahaha, oh yeah. This cruiser sports only the finest discount Maco paint job $200 can afford. Some day the old girl will get a real paint job.

Chase failed to mention that on last Friday night I called him at 8pm that I was having trouble with my lights/turn signal indicator and he offered his current one up since he had one in his parts stash. I was supposed to leave that night on a trip for OR for the eclipse. Offered up his used part and I came down to help pull the steering wheel.

Big ups for helping me out and making the trip happen.
Just curious, so it was total plug and play functionality wise? Glad it all worked out. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom