Events/Trails Gold Lake July 16-18th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We'll be doing a joint trip with Battle Born Cruisers to Gold Lake July 16-18. I will likely go up Thursday and try to snag a campsite at Little Gold lake for the clubs, as it's a nice spot. If that doesn't work out, we'll camp at the Gold Lake OHV spots, which are nice as well, but the main trail runs through them and have less privacy.

If you've never been up to Gold Lake or the Sierra Buttes, you need to come. This area is amazing. Honestly it rivals Yosemite for prettiest in CA. There are dozens of lakes, miles and OHV, 4x4, and hiking trails, and the Sierra Buttes are just incredible.

We'll base camp at Gold lake, and from there we can do different runs out to different areas. Snake lake/Oakland pond is a difficult technical rock crawling trail. There are miles of moderate and easy trails and dirt roads out of various lakes and mines and old ranches. The whole area is very pretty. And of course, the Sierra Buttes lookout is the most well known for a reason, it's absolutely incredible. Perched on top of the Buttes with a 400 foot cliff looking down from the balcony of the lookout. It's an easy hike up to it, you can drive 80% of the way. It gets pretty busy, but it's worth it.

Bring food, drinks for the weekend. It will be cold at night, and nice 70-80s during the day. Getting to little Gold lake and the OHV campground, the trail in is a little rough, the cruisers will have no issues, but it's NOT car friendly at all.

We'll use our radios a lot I suspect to communicate with groups out doing runs, so we'll try to get those dialed in a little better before this trip as well.

I'd like to make this event a yearly organized thing between the two clubs. Maybe even evolve it into a bigger event someday.

Please let me know if you are going, so I can plan for camp site size needed for everyone as well.

We'll use our radios a lot I suspect to communicate with groups out doing runs, so we'll try to get those dialed in a little better before this trip as well.

Maybe we can do a Ham Jam to help folks get setup and programmed before this trip? I can see if our ham gurus like @rusty_tlc , @reklund5 and others can be available to help.

We have a ham radio thread with some getting started info for anyone looking for proven gear. I am not a guru by any means, but my setup works great! My gear is listed in the first post and others also share their experience and preferred kit.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that at all. I need to get my stuff figured out. lol

Although I likely wont make the trip, I can surely help get some radios setup and workin before you all go

It is 1.5 hours away from Reno, you could come on Sat for some day runs

Huh, I guess you did... :p

Sorry, I read it as a day to push buttons and program and was thinking that some may need help with antennas and electrons.

LOL, no worries.

If we do it here we will have folks helping with physical installs, and other folks helping to upload configs. All we need is for folks to order and bring their programming cables and software. I am building a spreadsheet of repeaters in NorCal and NW Nevada that we can use for programming everyone. We can teach people how to customize additional memory on their own too... "Teach a man to fish."

We can do a short run up Jumbo to Virginia City to test out the radios too if folks want to make a weekend of it.

LOL, no worries.

If we do it here we will have folks helping with physical installs, and other folks helping to upload configs. All we need is for folks to order and bring their programming cables and software. I am building a spreadsheet of repeaters in NorCal and NW Nevada that we can use for programming everyone. We can teach people how to customize additional memory on their own too... "Teach a man to fish."

We can do a short run up Jumbo to Virginia City to test out the radios too if folks want to make a weekend of it.
I think Scott and I are going to get software/cables for ours since we have the same one, and I will likely end up with at least one more for either the 40 or the 62.
If we could figure out a day that would be cool. I was bummed I wasn't able to make the last one. I need to learn how to use these things. lol

@Tony_Farson maybe we should post something in the main events forum about this event? I think it could be a cool one to grow both our clubs with.

@Tony_Farson maybe we should post something in the main events forum about this event? I think it could be a cool one to grow both our clubs with.

You mean on the calendar? That's a good idea. I put the Black Rock trip on there for June and just linked folks back to battleborncruisers.com for RSVP. Do you wanna do it for Gold Lake or shall I?

Do you want to plan a weekend up here in Reno? We can do a "Ham Jam" on Sat and a quick trail run on Sunday to test out radios and have a little fun offroad.

You mean on the calendar? That's a good idea. I put the Black Rock trip on there for June and just linked folks back to battleborncruisers.com for RSVP. Do you wanna do it for Gold Lake or shall I?

Do you want to plan a weekend up here in Reno? We can do a "Ham Jam" on Sat and a quick trail run on Sunday to test out radios and have a little fun offroad.
We can do a Ham day... Reno would probably make sense. Since most of us have no idea and you guys seem to have a lot more radio know how.

I as referring to this...

Might get a lot more eyeballs on our events, and thus, our clubs in the main section of the forum.

We can do a Ham day... Reno would probably make sense. Since most of us have no idea and you guys seem to have a lot more radio know how.

I as referring to this...

Might get a lot more eyeballs on our events, and thus, our clubs in the main section of the forum.

Man too many places to post! LOL

The question is assuming we have a good turnout... half my club is 12 rigs, will Gold Lake be any fun with more added to the group? Can the camping area support that many vehicles or people?

If you think so, then lets do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom