Builds Going to meet my new 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on refurbishing the instrument cluster today. I’m using a Njvus glass polishing kit and it’s made a huge difference so far.

View attachment 1656098

The “D” drive light is out, so I’ll need to replace that. Anybody got a bulb number for that?

View attachment 1656102

I’m also going to replace the cluster light with LED’s to eliminate the dull green light.
I used grain of wheat bulbs. Think they were 4 watt. Can't remember the size, pretty sure there were 2 different sizes. Example. Grain of Wheat Bulbs | eBay I have a local electronics shop that let me go through their stock. They had ones with no insulation, just had to unwrap the old ones and wrap the new ones. I didn't want led for these, they were too bright. I also used them for a few of the switches. I only used led for the back lights in the cluster. Everything else was incandescent.

I’ve got my dash completely torn apart as I go through everything. I noticed a spring on the floor beneath my steering column and I’m not sure where it goes. It must have just fallen out while I was mounting my gauge cluster. Pretty sure it goes I to the steering assembly somewhere because there seems to be a variety of springs there. Anyone know where this goes?

DD3BE42E-012F-4D64-8635-190131CD2495.jpeg

Here is some photos of the steering column to help... I know, it’s dirty. Sorry. I’ll get to it.

320AB114-76CB-41F9-8CDE-820CCD430037.jpeg

7E3860D0-699C-49D8-9C73-8F94DBE086CB.jpeg

003BC9EC-3616-4125-A737-8AC749EE06F8.jpeg

Thanks!

Got the new stereo system halfway installed this weekend. Still have a few wires to run to install the backup camera. Also, I’ll be shopping speakers and a new amp. I’m pretty sure my amo and most of the speakers are blown.

FFB9BF04-33C2-4CB6-AC85-73F9FD943804.jpeg

Also, @CenTXFJ60 finished the paint on my new fender and I slapped that on yesterday. Looks good I think.

F48C33F2-76BB-4642-BDCA-4AE9478C2133.jpeg

Today, I’m giving her the spa treatment to bring back the luster of the old paint.

B0A2759C-8093-4500-BF9A-2B5E91C8AFA6.jpeg

Finally... a pic for any 60 guys watching this thread...

C234E142-8609-418E-9834-B35DF36F59FC.jpeg

Got the new stereo system halfway installed this weekend. Still have a few wires to run to install the backup camera. Also, I’ll be shopping speakers and a new amp. I’m pretty sure my amo and most of the speakers are blown.

View attachment 1668621

Also, @CenTXFJ60 finished the paint on my new fender and I slapped that on yesterday. Looks good I think.

View attachment 1668624

Today, I’m giving her the spa treatment to bring back the luster of the old paint.

View attachment 1668625

View attachment 1668626
That fender could use some wet sanding and buffing :).

That fender could use some wet sanding and buffing :).

I noticed a little orange peel on the fender. That’s ok though, I’m gonna let it act like rhino liner. Should help repel some trail pinstripes. Besides, I don’t want anyone calling this cruiser “Cream Puff” haha.

Here’s a good before/after of the passenger fender bodywork...

AF630AC8-6CE6-4E54-9B03-253956F99B4F.jpeg

The headlight mounting tabs are broken, so the sidelamp isn’t flush with the headlamp, but I’ll adress that later.

I feel like I’m working backwards now...

12406FF2-99B9-4687-8B9E-22F1BF199C0E.jpeg

I’m pressure washing 20 years of camel cigarettes out of the carpet. It’s just a steady river of brown coming out. Not sure if I’ll be able to get it all.

What radio is that? Did you have to do any hacking to make it fit?

Impressive. Whole new bar for baselining. Eager to see it in person when at the Magic Barn.

Impressive. Whole new bar for baselining. Eager to see it in person when at the Magic Barn.

Thank CD... still waiting on new leather for the seats and the new carpet to arrive. Plus I keep breaking stuff as I pull things off, but I’m having fun!

What radio is that? Did you have to do any hacking to make it fit?

Hey Cim... It’s the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX. I’m still learning all the bells and whistles though. I haven’t had time to play with it yet. Plus I have to install new speakers and possibly a new amp. I’ll do a more in depth review after that. So far, my biggest gripe is the screen is very hard for me to see in the daylight. Admittedly, my eyes are horrible, so it could be me.

Edit: sorry Cim, didn’t answer the second part of your question. No kit or trimming was necessary. I just remove the brackets from the existing factory head unit, and installed them on the pioneer unit, then I bolted it right in place. Everything fit perfectly.

I used this harness and didn’t even have to cut or splice anything.

Direct wire harness for Pioneer Headunits (fits Toyota and Subaru) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GBDRVX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FyTZAb6VGCH85

I still need to wire up the backup camera, but everything else is operational.

Last edited:
I’m in the process of doing a soft restore of the interior. I didn’t have this planned originally, but I’ve been unable to get the cigarette tar out of the carpet and headliner. It was even soaked into and through the factory sound and heat barrier. Here’s a pic of what I’m dealing with.

F1F63579-7D11-4B9B-8134-7F20BCB8021D.jpeg

This is the front passenger floorpan. Everything is covered in this wet tar. I mean everything! I cleaned as much as I could, but I decided to just remove the factory sound deadener. I used dry ice and 91% isopropyl alcohol to do the trick. It worked great. Here’s a video “how to” that I made for anyone interested.

I coated the floor pans with POR 15 and then laid down some dynamat type of barrier.

EAE82219-1138-4D5A-A93E-14DB72D10F8E.jpeg

Now I’m just waiting for new carpet and leather to arrive...

Where did you get carpet and leather from?

I sourced the leather from Land Cruiser Heaven. There’s a 4-8 week turnaround time on them. I guess the are made in Colombia and then shipped to the vendor here in the states, and then re-shipped to the end user. Here’s the link.

Land Cruiser Heaven 80 Series Leather Seat Covers

The carpet I sourced from stockinteriors.com after reading this thread:

Stockinteriors.com FJ80 Carpet Set

It seemed like the best option out there, for the money. Here’s a link:

91-97 Toyota Land Cruiser Carpet Complete Kit

I upgraded to the ultra plush pile and added mass backing, which kicked the price up a little bit. I’ll do a more in depth review after installation.

View attachment 1668626
Or 60 girls watching!

Great looking 80 series! Best color combo with the white outside and grey inside....but I’m sure I am biased because it’s twins with my 1995 80!! Way to dive right in, you have inspired me to get on my 80’s interior refresh that I have been putting off. Welcome to the 80 section!!!

Or 60 girls watching!

Great looking 80 series! Best color combo with the white outside and grey inside....but I’m sure I am biased because it’s twins with my 1995 80!! Way to dive right in, you have inspired me to get on my 80’s interior refresh that I have been putting off. Welcome to the 80 section!!!

Thanks Jen! Sorry about the 60 “guys” thing. Didn’t mean to be exclusionary. I say “guys” all the time in a gender neutral way. I probably need to find another word

Anyway, your 60 build has always been one of my inspirations. Although this 80 will not be anything close to the total restoration you did on your 60.

I intend to leave the scratches, chips and scrapes as is. I like the patina they add to the truck. I did buff and polish the factory single stage paint and that made a huge difference.

I didn’t originally intend to completely gut and restore the interior, it’s just working out to be that way. I jumped on this purchase before knowing that it was a smokers vehicle. Normally that’s not a deal breaker anyway, but this truck was heavily smoked in. Seriously, it’s like a tweaker lived in it for a few years.

It’s coming clean now, but every panel had to be removed. The carpet is beyond help I’m afraid.

Thanks again Jen!

Reactions: OSS
Thanks for the "60 lurking in the driveway" picture. I miss my freeborn red 60--damn rust!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom