GMRS, and why does anyone need it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REDrum

What Would Steve Zissou Do?
Threads
Mt Monadnock Region NH, US & Montezuma, Costa Rica
Website
www.tolteccoffee.com
With the 2023 "wheeling" season approaching, I thought this article may be useful.

Being a bit of a comms geek I get asked on a regular basis about CB, GMRS and Ham, and what are the differences. Welp....this article is one of the best into to GMRS I've read to date and highly recommend if you are looking to upgrade from CB. For 90% of the 4x4 trailing running and exploring Ham is not needed. When I go way up no'th Maine I do run Ham but only for emergency use and not for general chatter within a 4x4 group. I gave up on CB 10 years ago with no regrets. GMRS is now where its at for 4x4. (and BTW, Baofeng is brand of radio not a type of radio).

Ive been meaning to get two. The baofeng still ok entry level ones?

Looks like the license fees have come down too

Ive been meaning to get two. The baofeng still ok entry level ones?

Looks like the license fees have come down too
The radios that Baofeng make are not GMRS specific they are junk non FCC complaint Ham radios that can be programmed to transmit on GMRS frequencies. I do not recommend them, way more trouble than the low cost is worth. Were you thinking hand held (HT) or truck mounted unit? If you go with handheld units do your homework and make sure they are full 5 watt units and have the feature to turn-down power to talk with FRS, otherwise you may find only 2 watt units that are very limited range in a vehicle. Midland is the big US name, made in China, medium quality. Motorola, B-Tech and Wouxun are all top industry quality. I got rid of most of my Midland gear and went Wouxun, better quality and cheaper.

Yes, the license cost has dropped since I got mine. It's pretty easy to get set up, takes about 45 minutes on line to navigate the FCC website, set up an account and apply for license.

Ideally, two HTs.

Thats a bummer on the boufangs... Its the price point of them that I like haha. Any recommendations for an entry radio? I really dont know what Im looking at..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom