Builds Fugly's Yota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Making lots of small progress, lot of tigheting up things, fixing little leaks, sorting out stuff as it gets put back together. Finally welded up the rear axle perches, got brake lines sorted out, and starting to tie wiring up. Two problems right now;

1) Oil filter adapter leaks. Not horrible, but going to need to pull it out and see WTF. It’s a trans dapt canister to spin on adapter, so not surprised. If I cant make it work, will have to look in to another type.

2) Bigger problem Is there a fair amount of noise coming from the top end. Sounds like lifter or rocker arm noise on driver side. I’ve adjusted the valves twice and don’t think thats it. Exhaust and collector gasket are tight. Got a stethoscope and it’s definitely coming from the valve train under the intake or valve cover area. Dad stopped by and we’ve pretty much concluded that we have one or two lifters not completely pumping up.

So off the intake will come and a new set of lifters will be here Monday. It’s entirely possible that a small bit of junk or metal from the machine process didn’t get cleaned out completely and plugged a lifter. I’ll pull and check them and see if there’s any signs of which one. Hopefully thats the issue and all the pushrods are straight, and really hope the cam isn’t hurt. I haven’t revved it past 3000-3500 Hope to have it done over Thanksgiving and maybe get to drive it around.

After engine is sorted, need to finish up body wiring for lights, turn signals, etc. Also need to mount shocks all around, then I’ll put insurance back on it and start driving it on nice days over the winter and put some miles n it to make sure it’s reliable before taking it out on its first outing.

So besides the engine, here’s my other dilemma. Trying to figure out if my trans/tease mounting is adequate as is or if I need more support (gut says yes) and how to do it.

SBC to an SM465 to a NP203 range box with a one off billet aluminum adapter to a 19 spline split case. The stock GM adapter from the trans to the 203 has mounting provisions, and that’s what I used. So in a stock application, the NP203 or a 205 would hang behind that mount, I think. In my case, the 203 and split case are back there. I also believe that in a stock split case setup, the trans tailpiece or adapter had the mount, but my adapter takes the place of that. I can’t see any place to easily make another mount on the split case without doing a horse collar like the FJ40 AA mount kit. So is this mounting enough? Seems like the split case was designed to “hang” off the back of a mounted transmission, but is the added weight/leverage of the range box going to crate issues?

Other question is: I used a RuffStuff crossmember kit with bushings at the frame ends. The crossmember is then solid mounted to the 203. So in theory I have some vibration isolation to the frame, but the bushings are poly and pretty stiff. Am I asking for it with this kind of mounting?

Truck will get street and off road driven. Yes, it needs skidplates. Yes, I’m going to just run it for now to get everything sorted and probably do some mild wheeling as it Is. But long term, do I need to figure on more support?

Pics:

3EC407F3-0A3D-440F-A0DE-E3D4D7879A48.jpeg

D3C3FAD7-59B2-4DBB-9B80-1A66D30E06F6.jpeg

43CDDC6C-27D6-462E-9BE7-0E85519AB5D4.jpeg

B9BB10E7-610C-4252-AEF1-DE8FE17BF9C7.jpeg

DCA4E7B3-2C0D-4A13-A241-572376BD99F9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom