FST safety strap eyebolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

63cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Can some provide dimensions for the safety strap eye bolt? My 63 does not have the bolt or even the hole but all other indications are clearly an FST. (fst door hinges, tailgate, vadar light, factory windshield frame channel). Also, the metal at that location appears to be very thick. As these straps are hardly for safety and more for looks, would i need to add a captured nut to the back side or just drill and tap the whole? Not sure i could even get a nut behind that part of the dashboard. Anyone know if the "originals" have a captured nut?

Thanks for the offer but when I bought the safety straps used, the eye bolts happened to be attached so i got lucky. Now i just need to figure out how and where to mount them.

Next time I'm out at the shop (this weekend), I'll take some measurements of my FST eye bolt location. I have a late-1964 that should be the same as yours.

I'll that there are two sizes of eyebolts. Earlier were larger. I pulled a set off of a 71 back in the eighties that are smaller like on my 73 FST. It also had the back now mount that only used two bolts. Possible the size change happened when the back mount went from four to two bolt. From what can is 5/70. I show a change 9/69 but my 10/69 70 model still had four bolts. Not sure if this helps because it's a padded dash model but some time between 9/67 and 10/69 the dash had the hole for eyebolts but thru into the A pillar. My 9/67 and 10/69.
IMG_20190607_100402626.jpg
IMG_20190607_100024262.jpg

If this was few weeks ago could have taken pictures of the earlier eyebolts from FJ25 and early FJ40.

first one looks like the dimple for the eyebolt hole might have been bondoed over during the repaint

i can get pics of annies eye bolts, but it won't be for a few days...i'm bringing another one home ;)

@scoutingranch PM'd some pictures showing the location about 1" below the top of the cowl. Any idea on the left to right measurement (not that critical as long as it can clear the cowl bump which screwing it in). The eyebolts i have are M10X1.25. Can someone confirm if there is a captured nut at this location? My guess is i couldn't get one up into that location but it also looks like the cowl consists of some thick sheetmetal in that location so i am thinking i would just drill and tap. Thoughts? I checked and i can't find nutserts in that size.

I dont recall there being a captured nut. You don't think you can get a nut on, but you can

first one looks like the dimple for the eyebolt hole might have been bondoed over during the repaint

:rofl:.

Not going to find any Bondo on this cruiser. This one I've had for forty five years. The dash is welded to the A pillar may be from that. I put it on it's side fall of 75 in Lake Tahoe. Replace the top in 76 with a beige one off a 73. In 83 found some perfect beige doors off a 79. Now I had beige doors and top on a Capri blue 40. In 86 a neighbor painted it for free for some A/C work I had done. Was suppose to be brown which it wasn't. :bang: But it was free. Some day will paint it again. In the meantime it is stored away in a insulated garage in a mild climate.

Here are some photos from my late-64 FST.
You’ll see that there is actually a welded nut on the backside, but it would be really tough to get in there without peeling the dash apart.

66C1FBA3-F99D-41CF-8C1D-419A45A3A33A.jpeg
2A363166-D3D5-4674-9FDD-77A2DF1C1033.jpeg
36B65073-1952-4538-85D9-801E7C344EA9.jpeg

And here are some photos from my early-64 FST.
E145EF2E-F805-488B-A02E-C25EFD3C6D07.jpeg
4E6B9F89-5372-4021-BD22-8B523D6777F4.jpeg

59 fj25
20190616_161455.jpg

62, fj40
20190616_161420.jpg

and how i know you can get a nut up in there...this was a 74 tub that i drilled the recessed hole out and added loops from an unknown year. it originally had the hinge mounted bracket for the straps.
P5310001.JPG

All, thanks for the help and pictures. I hope to get these installed next week. May not "weld" in the capture nut but at least i will try to get the nut on the back side.

I would try putting a little tape on the hex part of the nut so it will stay inside of a box wrench. May even hold inside of a open end wrench that would make it easier to remove the wrench when done.

All, thanks for the help and pictures. I hope to get these installed next week. May not "weld" in the capture nut but at least i will try to get the nut on the back side.

Rivnut from Summit Racing?

Does anybody need an extra eyelet? I have one just sitting here with no use.
It's free.....just pay shipping

I could use it. Trade you for those half hood hinges which have yet to surface, but I know they are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom