free shortwave (HF) radio recieving, SDR.hu (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For any of those thinking about dipping their toes in ham radio for remote long-distance trail use, i've had great results with linked shortwave recievers worldwide via the free hungarian-english website sdr.hu

Click through the links on a later web browser, and the radio will open in front of you. No license is needed for recieving.

Hope this motivates you enough to get your radio license.

I use these 3 to 4 times a week for the Texas Traffic Net on 7.285 LSB (Lower Side Band) at 0730 Mountain Time and on 7.290 LSB for the 7290 Traffic Net at 0900 Mountain Time. Many times the Net Control Station is very week due to poor solar conditions. It helps to have a distant receiver that can serve as a second set of ears.

Larry in El Paso

It will work best in hilly, foothills terrain. Not as great an advantage for mobile in flat land, and a disadvantage in city due to propogation and local noise. I've maintained many government forestry and electric company lowband radios. There isn't many users for 6 meters in areas of low population density.

Areas like Virginia, parts of California, you might have lots of local mobile activity and benefit on that band where the terrain would fail elsewhere.

It will work best in hilly, foothills terrain. Not as great an advantage for mobile in flat land, and a disadvantage in city due to propogation and local noise. I've maintained many government forestry and electric company lowband radios. There isn't many users for 6 meters in areas of low population density.

Areas like Virginia, parts of California, you might have lots of local mobile activity and benefit on that band where the terrain would fail elsewhere.
For 6m simplex, I was thinking more along the lines of relatively flat terrain, and ground wave propopation, versus line of site plus refraction for 2m

I don't think you'd see major differences between 6m and 2m FM simplex while mobile on flat rural terrain for regular communications in practice. I have had voice contacts in 6m SSB voice basestation from Kitchener, Ontario to Colorado. That was due to tropo skip.

There had been contacts as well on commercial lowband from Kitchener to Florida, a few days each year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom