Frame rust (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crush 4

SILVER Star
Threads
Need the collective opinion of you all. Looking at an FJ cruiser and this is the underneath what are your thoughts on the rust

123F9722-1B35-42CD-8C1A-A6F9ADC65846.jpeg

62681B87-1010-44CC-B3FC-BCC963A8F7F2.jpeg

I suppose it's not bad by Detroit standards. That panhard bracket on the axle looks pretty rough. But the wheel speed sensor wires look brand new.
That seems to be a weak spot on the FJ. I looked at one this spring in which the bracket had fallen off completely from rust and then rewelded back on. Rest of the undercarriage looked similar to the one shown in this thread, maybe just a bit worse. I passed, even though a good price around $11K and less than 100K miles. Had another issue though, a lot of road noise from the rear end that owner discounted as being caused by the snow tires.

OP: Not so bad that I'd run away, but deserves some sort of rust discount from the normally ridiculous prices asked for on this model.

Thanks guys what would you do to addressed all that rust just fluid film or wire brush and paint?
For the known areas of rust on these things.? This one has fairly low mileage but I don’t want it to turn into a rust bucket later. I don’t plan on driving it in any more winters

If it were me, I would wire wheel the worst spots. Scuff the rest of the lighter rust surfaces and paint it all with a good paint. Then you could fluid film the whole shebang, if you're into that. I hear it smells awful.

If it were me, I would wire wheel the worst spots. Scuff the rest of the lighter rust surfaces and paint it all with a good paint. Then you could fluid film the whole shebang, if you're into that. I hear it smells awful.
Thx yes I have used FF and wool wax!! And por15
My concern is what I can’t see?!

I think starting a regiment of FF after you get it painted and aesthetically pleasing would be just fine on that one. As you probably know FF on real rust doesnt look very nice at all.

That's not even corrosion. That is surface rust. It will come out with a wire wheel on a grinder. A crafty seller would have done that already in a day and put black rust paint and then spray oil over it and tell you how well it was taken care of.

For the northeast, that could be the underside of any two year old truck. I'd be more concerned of rust starting like that on body steel, that would be a walk away.

I had heard that the FJ cruiser’s frame have a propensity to rust. What black frame paint would you use?

I'm confused. I thought you walked away from this one. Most of the areas that I see with surface rust are also the areas that get abrasion from the road.

I don't know if this truck has mud flaps. Adding them can reduce some of this problem in future.

These photos are no worse than frame rust on all? other makes. After grinding all that surface rust away, you'd want to use something to attack the rust you can't see. Something like Naval Jelly or equivalent. Then you'd want to use a red oxide primer on the bare areas, and your choice of black frame rust pain that won't chip.

This is regular maintenance for any truck you'd want to keep. After all that painting is done, spray with anti rust oil, and keep spraying it each year if you live in the rust belt, where they use salt on the roads. Park it in an unheated garage too. Pressure wash it with a wand wash once a week.

They came back and lower the price that’s why I’m back in it thanks for your response

Btw it won’t be driven in mi winters as I have a dedicated “ salt” vehicle!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom