Foothill Mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey guys I purchased an early 88 FJ62 yesterday in Cameron Park. My first LC; about 240k miles. Zero rust on the frame or body. There are a few trim pieces that are toast but I've already ordered some of those with the help of ebay. Jason over at Nightdrop by the airport in CP did all the pre-purchase inspection for me and came up with a looooong list of mechanical issues. I'm planning on having him help me with the stuff that I can't figure out how to do yet in order to get it a bit more road worthy. There's some funky electrical stuff going on too, like when you turn on the headlights, the dash blinker indicator arrows illuminate (solid) even though the blinkers aren't on. All of the dash lights except for the blinker indicator lights are burned out or not working. The compression was surprisingly good on all 6 and was only off by 6 between the highest and lowest cylinder. In no particular order, here's a general rundown of some of the projects in my future:
  1. New exhaust
  2. The AC pulley is missing so we couldn't run a thorough test on that yet
  3. The radiator had some epoxy on it to cover a previous leak
  4. Needs all new hoses throughout, they are all hard as rock
  5. All the bushings are cracked and crumbling
  6. Dash electrical issues
  7. alignment is off
    1. Also needs suspension and tires
  8. Steering box has play and is leaking
  9. Steering pump has a leak
  10. Transmission pan is leaking
  11. Rear main seal and oil pan leaks
  12. left front shock is leaking
  13. swaybar and bushings are bad
  14. right front ball is loose
  15. new belts
  16. valve adjustment
  17. cab bushings are cracked
  18. new tires
whew! That was a lot of stuff ... wish me luck. I could use some help figuring out some of the stuff that I don't know about, and Jason the mechanic may not be aware of either such as the plug on the engine that everyone says should be tapped and a bolt put in its place. I want to add a shoulder seatbelt for the back seat passengers as well. This being my first project, any ideas about grouping of issues would also be appreciated. If there is a local expert mechanic that we can work with if something stumps us, I would appreciate a recomendation. Thanks all and I look forward to sharing the LC adventure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom