FJ60 front axle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up an FJ60 a couple months ago and have not had time to do anything to it yet. I am finally freeing up some time and money to get started. I would like to rebuild the front axle first. Where would the best place be to get this kit? I was thinking I may just go through toyota. Has anyone seen any good write ups on how to do this? Thanks
-Chris

Get the full rebuild kit from Marlin if you have personal issues with Trail Gear, or get the kit from Trail Gear. I have a Trail Gear kit on one of our FJ40's and it has been fine.

Search Toyota knuckle rebuild on here, Pirate or Google it, there are tons of writeups. The best thing to have is the FSM or a Haynes Manual.

Rebuilding the knuckles is pretty easy, but very messy. Just research it well before you do it so you know what you are getting into, have all of your parts before you start, get lots of shop rags or paper towles, grease, brake kleen, and dive in. Place all of the fasteners in containers per part like the nuts washers and cones in one for the hubs and so forth.

Since you will have it apart, get a set of Marlins HD inner axle seals and a set of Longfields Lifetime kncukle wiper seals that replace the felts. I have both of these and they are great.

Since you will have it apart, get a set of Marlins HD inner axle seals and a set of Longfields Lifetime knuckle wiper seals that replace the felts. I have both of these and they are great.

X2 what JT said! I have zero miles on the seal and Longfield wiper, but both are holding up great so far...:D
Marlin also has an HD pinion seal if you want it too.

I have the seals in my built 85 mini axle sitting on the stand and a set for the FJ60 axle that I will be building and the Longfield seals still in the bag on the work bench :)

Once the IFS falls off, I will be able to find out how well the seals hold up :D

Thanks guys, I ordered all but the wiper seals today because it appears that he does not have any right now for an FJ60. I have a knuckles pull scale and a 54mm socket but I am still looking into and trying to figure out other tools I will need for the job. I will read up on it tonight after I get off work and see what I can figure out. Ill keep you guys updated.

I take that back I just got the wiper seals ordered as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom