FJ40 Titling a Vehicle in South Carolina (out of state purchase) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I have a tricky question and I am not sure where to start.

I purchased an FJ40, non-running, from a guy in the state of Georgia. I received State of Georgia bill of sale signed by the previous owner. That bill of sale was not notarized. I live in South Carolina and am looking to get the vehicle titled in SC.

How do I go about getting a new title? Does the bill of sale being from Georgia matter? Do I just file for a lost/stolen title? Has anyone in the state of South Carolina been through this process and would like to offer some guidance?

Thanks!

Hi Krondor,

Was the FJ40 registered in Georgia? If you had a copy of the transferrable registration that would make it even easier.

Otherwise I do this often with old motorcycles with only a bill of sale. It only works for vehicles that are 25 years or older. It seems like the SC DMV website is down, so I can't link you to the forms.

You will need form TI-021A and TI-021B. You get the VIN verified at your local DMV branch or by law enforcement. Then you mail everything in with some photos to DMV headquarters in Blythewood.

A few weeks later you get back a stamped and signed copy of your TI-021A which you can use in lieu of a title to register your vehicle. Then they'll issue you a regular SC title. It will say "undisclosed liens" on it for 6 months but after that you can have them drop that.

Send me a direct message if you need any help.

Just to update the thread. I am currently waiting for the title to come through the mail.

@dmark84 did an excellent job with all the instructions. I did find out after contacting just about every law enforcement division in SC, that they no longer verify the VIN numbers. Instead you should call the Upstate DMV representative from blythwood. As of today, that representative is Jason and he can be reached at 803-331-3270. It only took me about 15 phone calls and two days of talking to people to reach the right person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom