FJ40 Starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum, in Hayden ID. I have an 82 FJ40, completely stock. Taking out of storage for winter, battery was dead (faulty tender), so replaced battery. Turn to ACC on the key, and can get lights and warning buzzer, but only 1 click when go to start, then all goes dead. Now no click at all, despite recharging battery. Starter solenoid? Is that the same as a starter relay? Voltage regulator? I HATE electricity. Any help appreciated.

An 82 in Hayden, is this Ben?
Anyways, Is the battery new, or just recharged? If just recharged, I'd bet it's the battery. Depending on age, they don't always take a charge. Have you tried starting with jumper cables on a different rig?

This sounds like a similar issue. Solved on Page 2 post #36, then if you read on, it happens again, and finally solved for good on page 4. In his case, he had to replace the battery cables/terminals. Are you rusty at all? Have you checked all the grounds? Especially the ground from the battery to the frame, and the ground on the starter?

fussing and fighting with electrical after fusible link replacement

Last edited:
This sounds like a similar issue. Solved on Page 2 post #36, then if you read on, it happens again, and finally solved for good on page 4. In his case, he had to replace the battery cables/terminals. Are you rusty at all? Have you checked all the grounds? Especially the ground from the battery to the frame, and the ground on the starter?

fussing and fighting with electrical after fusible link replacement
Success! Boy do I feel stupid. Auto electric 101; check the grounds. There is a link from battery ground terminal to a "fitting" from which comes the battery ground and a wire to the Warn Winch on front bumper. It was just a little loose, but apparently enough, so now everything is copacetic, and she started right up. Thanks a lot. Eric

Success! Boy do I feel stupid. Auto electric 101; check the grounds. There is a link from battery ground terminal to a "fitting" from which comes the battery ground and a wire to the Warn Winch on front bumper. It was just a little loose, but apparently enough, so now everything is copacetic, and she started right up. Thanks a lot. Eric

:cheers:Glad you got it going! Hope to see it cruising around town!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom