FJ40 as a first car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I am about to turn 16 later this year and all this quarantine has given me a lot of time to think about my first vehicle. I have looked deeply into FJ80s and Jeep TJs. The problem with those is the FJ80 is almost impossible to find with less than 200k miles around here and the Jeeps, well, they are Chryslers and the Jeep community is weird... There is someone in my neighborhood trying to sell his 1976 FJ40 which I really like. My dad's first car was a BJ40 back when he lived in Brazil. He absolutely loved it so I think it would be a good father and son project. I would daily drive it to school about 26 miles roundtrip and I could take the back roads which have a speed limit of 35 to 50 mph. I would use it for some off-roading and probably take the doors and top off for about 5 months of the year. Should I do it? I feel like I am young enough to deal with the rough ride but I don't want to just hate driving it. I hope you guys can help and thank you for any responses.
- Max

Oh and also I would enjoy listening to some tunes while I drive it (obviously). I would like to know how hard it is to install an ok stereo. Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
What took you so long Max ???

Time flies so enjoy a FJ40 as soon as you can, but very important !, be aware that it is not the most safest car for you at your age as the modern vehicles are so that's what you have to discuss with your father what he thinks about it.

Welcome to the madness !

What took you so long Max ???

Time flies so enjoy a FJ40 as soon as you can, but very important !, be aware that it is not the most safest car for you at your age as the modern vehicles are so that's what you have to discuss with your father what he thinks about it.

Welcome to the madness !
Thanks for the help! I probably plan on installing some disk brakes. How much will that cost? What about soft top vs hard top? Which one would be better in the South?

@FJ404345 said about safety.

How long have you been driving, and what other vehicles have you driven? Do you have a back up plan if you have a repair that requires a few days down time?

My first car was a 74 FJ45, but I also got a Peugeot 406 diesel which Became my daily, I got it for free and I filled up with fuel once a month!

A 40 is about as far removed as a modern car as you can get, if you're prepared to drive in the slow lane, feed a fuel sucking engine and get your hands dirty working on it, go for it. But a word of warning, a 40 isn't a cheap creature to keep and gets even worse if you don't work on it yourself and have to pay labour, to say nothing of the fact that most shops have no idea how to work on a truck of this age.

My advice is, take a 40 for a drive and see how you like it. If you catch the disease, get yourself a cheap beater as well so that you don't have to rely on the 40 as a daily driver, at least until you get the 40 gone over and in solid driving order.

Go for it. If u rely on used parts as much as possible that will reduce costs. Plan on replacing every single seal and gasket on the engine trans tcase and axles. Replace the clutch master and slave, brake master, fuel pump, shocks, spring bushings, and go through the rear brakes. Rebuild the carb and distributor, replace plugs and wires. Replace radiator and all hoses, replace and repair steering parts. That will get you to daily driver status on a fj40. So figure about 2500 in parts, and lots of labor.

Thanks for the help! I probably plan on installing some disk brakes. How much will that cost? What about soft top vs hard top? Which one would be better in the South?

1976 FJ40? it should have front disc brakes already if it was a US import.
my advice if you buy it, would be to run and drive it for a while and then decide what you want to do to it.

My ‘74 was my first vehicle but I had a less than 1 mile drive to school. As someone said, if you have a backup plan to get to school then I would go for it. Most likely you will find yourself working on it and learning as you go which means there will be a few days of dowbtine

My opinion on an FJ40 as a first car for daily transportation is that it is an extremely poor choice.
Especially since you are talking about driving it 26 miles per day.
That quirky unique old vehicle quickly becomes a burden when you can't rely on it to get you where you need to go and if it is consuming all of your income for gas (16 mpg) and parts. It can also eat all of your time.

We are talking about a 44 year old truck.
Even one that has been maintained is likely to need a steady supply of replacement parts.
I just finished refreshing an 84 CJ7 that was in pretty good shape and am into it for $4,500 in components to make it reliable.
I doubt at 16 you will have that kind of money throw at a vehicle.

At 22 I bought a 1959 Jaguar XK150 convertible. Great bargain at $2,000
Spent an entire summer getting it to run but realized I didn't have the $$$ to do any of it properly.

For a first car at 16 my recommendation is that you get something that is inexpensive to repair and good on gas.
Build your mechanical skills on a vehicle that you can make mistakes on.
I helped my sons start with some pretty cool cars and they and their friends beat them to death.
They didn't yet appreciate what they had.

If the FJ40 is a good deal, get it with your dad as a project but don't plan on using it every day.

my 2 cents.

Cleg

I agree with all the above.
Lovely project but the cast iron six and inevitable ongoing maintenance with a vehicle that age may be overwhelming for a daily driver. You will end up with a second car!
Safety, I'd be more concerned about the way they handle and no SRS or so called crumple zones. If something goes wrong, it may hurt.
Just fact a daily driver..... If project vehicle driven weekends only, the risk is somewhat less for a younger driver.
These beautiful old vehicles are always vintage car like safety and handling wise.
This sound pretty bad coming from me when I still run a 45 series in my fleet.

Last edited:
When my son turns 16 next year, he will be driving a '71 FJ55. Of course, I will have to help him keep it running. If your dad is handy with a wrench, I'd say to go for it. '76 and newer FJ40's do have front disc brakes. They stop reasonably well. Stereo is not a huge issue in a 40, but don't spend a lot of money on one. The vehicle does not lend itself to having good acoustics, and keeping a 40 locked and secured to prevent theft is not an easy task. I just put a $65 stereo in the FJ55. Head unit and two speakers. For $65 it sounds fantastic.

IMG_3273[1].JPG

Hmmm. I'm on the fence I guess. Take a few things into consideration.
Plusses:
Dad has experience with the BJ40. So he should know what he's in for mostly. (I know, the BJ wasn't 40 years old when he drove it.)
Dad (I'm guessing) is committed to help work on the truck.
Max is wanting to learn. What a great vehicle to learn on! I learned almost everything I know about vehicles on a 40.
Everyone here thinks the Cruiser is about the coolest vehicle on the road.
Minusses:
Must rely on it being a daily driver?
Are you ready for a gas guzzler?
Are you or your Dad well off enough to keep spending money after you buy it?
Plan on a few grand. Just in the first few months.

Max. You and your Dad are the ones who need to make the decision. If you need us to do it for you then don't buy it. If you and your Dad are close and he's got your back, get it and enjoy it. Ask yourself if you're really able to be committed. You're a teenager and you're going to screw up or let a friend talk you into something you shouldn't do in a Cruiser. Build it to survive that and you just might be okay.

It could spark a lifelong bug ... but its going to be time sink right at the time when your opportunities are about to explode.
I know it perhaps seems like you're sequestered away and bored at 16 with nothing to do...but thats about to change
big time over the next 3 years. Its quite possibly the most impractical first car you could have from many aspects. Coolness
factor is huge but there are many cool cars/trucks that might be slightly safer, less costly, and less of a time sink (1984 step side
F150 is a cool option ;)

How does a 16 year old not be an anti-fuel electric-loving tree hugger these days? :p

If you have access to another vehicle on an as-needed basis I say go for it.

I got a '69 fj40 when I was 16, and it was awesome. Not saying its the right choice for everyone, but it was for me. I grew up around them, though. A '76 would have been even better because of disc brakes, 2f, and 4 speed but I absolutely loved my 40 and learned a ton about them because of it. Get it, learn to do the work yourself with help of the old man and you will be better because you did. Respect it while driving as they are not modern vehicles and they have a higher center of gravity than any old Jetta. If it's not your thing, sell it, they definitely hold their value.

I got a '69 fj40 when I was 16, and it was awesome. Not saying its the right choice for everyone, but it was for me. I grew up around them, though. A '76 would have been even better because of disc brakes, 2f, and 4 speed but I absolutely loved my 40 and learned a ton about them because of it. Get it, learn to do the work yourself with help of the old man and you will be better because you did. Respect it while driving as they are not modern vehicles and they have a higher center of gravity than any old Jetta. If it's not your thing, sell it, they definitely hold their value.
I agree 100%. Go get it and work on it with your dad. It’s been interesting reading your thread this morning and seeing the different opinions on your question. I agree with the majority, not the most practical daily driver to go that far to school everyday, (considering reliability, your budget and safety features for a new driver). I would definitely have the 40 as a backup/weekend rig with occasional trip to school. Would be the baddest vehicle in the parking lot on the days you did take it to school.

My first "car" was a 1978 FJ40. It was my primary transportation for 20 years with a year or two of accumulated down times for various motor swaps and such
During that time I generally drove a NInja. If I could do it all over I would do it the same, five times.

I have owned Jeeps, a few Scouts, and two FJ40s.. The first was a CJ7. I would say get the Jeep first as it’s cheep to repair and gently gets you into the short wheel base 4x4 world. You can modify and get some experience without going broke. They have a good community of enthusiasts like the FJ40 group here on MUD. After a while, if you are still into working on trucks, you can pickup an FJ40.

As others have said, very expensive to repair, ride experience is rough, forget listening to music, and no safety systems a new driver should have. Good luck in deciding!!!

Go for it. However. like many have said, it might be a good idea to have a beater for a backup. My first "car" was a 58 Chevy Apache Stepside. I bought it when I was 15. I still own it and that was over 40 years ago. One thing I remember was people always said "I use to have one of those....wish I still had it". You will get the same response in an FJ40. I made a vow way back then to never sell it and I have held true to that promise. During that time, my Dad's daily driver was a Chevota FJ40. He could have drove any rig he wanted but he loved FJ's. His bug passed on to me and I was able to fulfill my dream to own one a couple of years after he passed away. It is my tribute to him. These vehicles mean a whole lot more than that was has been talked about above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom