FJ40 Air Conditioning choices Vintage Air or CCOT (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting rid of the OEM heater would not be a option for me. Never plan to use a 40 in the Phoenix area where it gets really hot. Keep my 40s in higher elevations where heat is more important. A/C is mainly so able to closed the windows and vent on dusty roads. Going to figure a way to make this work.
View attachment 2337810View attachment 2337812
Just need to locate one of these.View attachment 2337814
Have you been able to find that air duct for a LHD fj40??? Is there any other alternative for placing an underdash system, while maintaining the original heater?

How did you work out the issue with the bulky air vent/duct ?? The original toyota air vent for ac equipped fj40s is a unicorn. CCOT had a replacement for that vent, but they informed that they have any left.

Like @White Stripe mentioned, you could 3d print one. Or, take a look at my > post #100 < before I found an elusive L200 duct.

Have you been able to find that air duct for a LHD fj40??? Is there any other alternative for placing an underdash system, while maintaining the original heater?

No I haven't found one. There are options of cutting duct and using the ends with hose between them. Not something I'm interested in.

You could fabricate a duct out of aluminum or 3d print one.

Like @White Stripe mentioned, you could 3d print one. Or, take a look at my > post #100 < before I found an elusive L200 duct.

Agree with the 3D printed one but without a original one scanned wouldn't be possible. Wonder there would be enough interest for getting a mold make and run made of a copy of the original? I know of one 40 in the Phoenix that has a A/C that actually cools the cab. But that is far from stock. Personally would rather have a stock looking setup and except it's not going cool in the middle of the summer. I have a couple modern DD that fill that roll. Plus if it's 100° outside I'm not interested in going four wheeling.

I have one... been looking into vacuum forming, but a carbon fiber one would probably be easier/cheaper to fabricate.

Personally would rather have a stock looking setup and except it's not going cool in the middle of the summer. I have a couple modern DD that fill that roll. Plus if it's 100° outside I'm not interested in going four wheeling.

I had a thought during one of the threads about soft tops, where someone had a shop make a soft top with insulation. My idea was to go with a smaller A/C unit and if necessary, have behind-the-seats insulated curtain made with a window so your rear vision wouldn't be compromised. It could be rolled up with velcro straps when not needed. The bottom could have weights, magnets, or velcro to hold it to the floor.

I have not tried it, but always wondered if one of these dented ducts from a FJ55 could be made to work.

20200719_152055.jpg
20200719_152102.jpg

$(KGrHqEOKn!E2S(rF!cmBN)EyOhUVQ___3.jpg

If direction of cold air distribution is an issue, something to keep in mind is the vents. There’s two different blower vent configurations. The older vent configuration had only two directional vents. The final configuration available had four directional vents.

I think using a stock duct, cutting and welding (plastic welder) a new slanted panel in place is another option too.

F9720CDE-BC11-4FB5-8F23-545C83AE5F30.jpeg

Any of you guys installed aftermarket A/C that allowed the side window defrosters to still work as well as the rear heater? I've searched and can't find where they're considered in selecting a system. TIA

@Racer65 FYI - Unicorn items always make me think of you....^^

EDIT: Never mind. I see GA Architect already hit you up about this.

Does the vintage air kit fit in a 1977 BJ40 with a standard B engine (LHD)

Hi guys, been looking at this as well. After following up on the links in this thread as well as other sources I believe these are the options for AC/heater combinations which replace the original heater in 2019 (some products mentioned before have been discontinued - correct me if I am wrong or incomplete):
- No AC: 0 USD. Retrofit AC's are overrated (airflow not ideal, noisy, expensive)
- Vintage Air Gen IV: 1480 USD (+ 205 for high perf blower), good reviews, uses up some glove box space, design less "retro" with round vents, high perf blower mounted at 90 deg angle - so less visible, noisy fan
- Restomod Vapir III: 950 USD, uses up glove box and looks a bit bulky in the passenger footwell, seems to blow mainly on passenger, unless holes are drilled in dash with extra vents. Not clear if available RHD
- TPI 4x4: 1449 USD, claims to be "improved vintage air" (?) looks looks like vintage air gen IV, not clear if available RHD
- Nostalgic AC: 1092 USD, nice "retro" square vent design, quite wide vents mounted centrally under dash but blowing mainly to passenger, does not use glove box, available for RHD
- Old Air Products: approx 1200 USD (2100 system) no specific Toyota kit available, so not sure which one is most applicable. Nice retro design with central ventilation unit in the location of the existing heater and ducting to loose vents, which can be installed in the bottom dash pad if you have one (as shown in this thread). Interestingly they sell a "mock up case" @ 72.50 USD to see how it fits before actually buying the thing. They also give the option how you want to mount your controls (in dash or not), if you want square or round vents and the size of condensor. Not sure if it will fit in a RHD
- Classic Auto Air: no specific Toyota kit available, so not sure which one is applicable

All systems: may need new higher power radiator fan and alternator
I have been focusing a bit on RHD options as well as something that will cool the kids/dogs in the back (having a troopy) ... suggestions welcome!
It’s time for A/C in my 82 FJ40. Can anyone update this list for the latest greatest information in aftermarket A/C systems? Thanks Mark

Anyone try out the Vapir 3 product that has been mentioned before? An install thread would be great.

Anyone try out the Vapir 3 product that has been mentioned before? An install thread would be great.

I dont have any experience but their products look great.

Thanks JP! I bought the basic kit they recommended for LC’s. I did not buy their compressor or brackets as I already had stock Toyota units in hand. The unit works very well and I have had no issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom